Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anyone try or thought about Ice Crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anyone try or thought about Ice Crawling?

Living up here where it can snow 6 months out of the year often can creat interesting winter-specific driving applications.. For instance I like to put thumbtacks inside the old tires of my wifes' Mini-LST and create a crazy-fun packed snow/ ice driving sessions... Works awesome, too!

Just wanted to ask my fellow northeners: Has anyone given thought to putting spikes on some old crawler tires and trying out crawling on ice blocks and packed snow? Shoot, around here all the piled snow from the trucks often get crazy-packed and frozen solid.. Makes for some mighty big temptations!
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

Default !

I'm from Spokane too, Valley to be exact, And I dont think were gonna get much more snow up here, but I like to use flat irons when I go out. Bad winter year apparently, Where do you crawl? I've used Thumbtacks before and im pleased with them, I like to get out and rip up the ice at Liberty Lake sometimes, but When I dont travel I hang around my apartment

Last edited by Anthrax; 12-20-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

great idea need to get someone to make scale tire spikes
94s10blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Its really not that hard 94, Just take some of the thumbtacks with the flat tops (Sort of like mini-nails) Grind the tips down to preferred size, and pop them in the tire from the inside. They look pretty real (IMO)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Got pics of yours?
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

I would post a picture, but I don't have a camera, but first time I get a chance to snap a picture, I'll be sure to show you.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadshawn View Post
Living up here where it can snow 6 months out of the year often can creat interesting winter-specific driving applications..
It's a blast to drive the scalers on the ice and snow. When was the last time SpoCompton had snow 6 months out of the year?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sadly I don't have any pics as of yet.. though I do have a pretty good idea going, an oddly large surplus of thumbtacks, and a set of Moab XLs sitting around... I did the thumbtack trick to my wife's Mini LST (she actually likes winter driving more now, lol!), so when I get home I should be sure to post up an example. Most thumbtacks should be short enough to create the scale effect well enough.. though for me (being a TLT-based comp crawler) going the extreme route is more fun.. lol! I like this sort of look:

Anthrax>> I just moved to Spokane last October, so I am still a bit foggy on all the crawling spots (I did hear about Corbin Park in CdA though). My next bout of crawling is probably gonna be some show wheeling in Boise with my father-in-law this Xmas, not sure from there though. I live up in Airway Heights, but I am considering moving to Mead/Wandemere..

CaveDave>> This is showing my "newness" to this area, but... "SpoCompton?" Where/how did Spokane get a nickname that ties it to the L.A. area?? I mean, I moved from Bozeman and it was called "Boz Angeles" due to all the Califonians moving there... Spokane have a problem like that? or is it the (lol) "gangs"?

Last edited by dreadshawn; 12-21-2010 at 02:08 PM.
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadshawn View Post

CaveDave>> This is showing my "newness" to this area, but... "SpoCompton?" Where/how did Spokane get a nickname that ties it to the L.A. area?? I mean, I moved from Bozeman and it was called "Boz Angeles" due to all the Califonians moving there... Spokane have a problem like that? or is it the (lol) "gangs"?
I heard the nickname SpoCompton like 20 years ago.....I don't know where it came from...
Try going to Mirabeu park,there is some killer rock there. If you get a chance jump on here http://www.ewrcrc.com/smf/index.php and get some info from the local crawler club.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm pretty anxious to try some snow crawling. i might, as an experiment throw the big, soft losi zombie max tires on my crawler once it arrives.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
It's a blast to drive the scalers on the ice and snow. When was the last time SpoCompton had snow 6 months out of the year?

X2 And It looks like this year is going to be full of nothing snow-wise... Not much snowmobiling time.. :(
Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #12

:QUOTE:Anthrax>> I just moved to Spokane last October, so I am still a bit foggy on all the crawling spots (I did hear about Corbin Park in CdA though). My next bout of crawling is probably gonna be some show wheeling in Boise with my father-in-law this Xmas, not sure from there though. I live up in Airway Heights, but I am considering moving to Mead/Wandemere..:QUOTE:

I used to live in Airway Heights, I left when they put that stupid Wal-Mart there, It's really expanded since I lived there, But I would go to Hick's if you ever need some supplies, that old man has got more stuff than I have ever seen.

--Happy Trails and welcome To Spokane!

*I like to go play down at Porcupine bay btw* ;) Good spots there

Dave>> I live at Parkside Apartments, and just across the complex is a rock dump, Oh god, there is some crazy spots behind that big hill of dirt if you know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Anthrax; 12-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Tossin' Salad

My brother has lived in Spokompton for the last 10 years. All I got to say is there are a ton of good golf courses around. As for snow, I heard it was not going to be so bad this year.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
BJK

I have been running my 2.2 cut mudslingers in the snow here in VT and they work real well.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I want to stud a set of rovers for my Xr10 and try and crawl some frozen falls and stuff.

But id bet id have to add a lot more weight... but maybe not.

I want to see a frozen river/ water fall used as a frozen comp site.

THAT would be ice crawling.

Not just farting around in the snow
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i had been thinking about the same thing. got a thread started awhile back (anyone looked at an ice crawler?) but i haven't done anything myself yet. i will probably do the simple thumbtack with the factory creeper tires i have laying around and see how that works.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #17

That's a great idea but living pheonix Az isn't exactly the snowing hotspot.Though i could drive to Flagstaff. Thanks for the idea
HowyadoinAzJr. is offline   Reply With Quote