Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: major drivetrain slop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default major drivetrain slop

little bit of background info. I have an scx10 based scaler that has a pretty unique drivetrain in it. It has a front mounted Axial "transmission" with the motor that goes out to the input of another axial "T-case", then to the diffs.

As ive been driving it latley ive noticed that the truck will jump ahead of the motor, especially on downhills and bumpy flats. Its like some lazy guy inside forgot to release the clutch and then a second or two later suddenly engages it(best way i could describe it)
Now i know that this is slop but the question is if i can get rid of or just tighten it up so that their is not as much. Ive had the truck since september and its only had about ten runs on it and has had a slow 50T motor so it cant be wear. Im thinking that between the two axial "trannys" it has twice as much slop than a single, and both diffs have a noticeable amount too. Not a huge problem but im looking for some ideas
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

What ESC? Is it a dragbrake issue?
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

youre adding the slop from each individual gear with the slop from each driveshaft and each axle. The only way to reduce the slop is to make some of these points permanent by gluing the pins into the gears and shimming the output shafts. that should get rid of some of it then wrap the ends of your axle shafts in tinfoil where they go into the lockers. If you still have issues its probably a drag brake issue. At that point I recommend any castle creations esc because the dragbrake is easy to program with the castle link. you could also have a problem with the slipper clutches in the trannys.try tightening them up a bit

Last edited by murderface; 01-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
youre adding the slop from each individual gear with the slop from each driveshaft and each axle. The only way to reduce the slop is to make some of these points permanent by gluing the pins into the gears and shimming the output shafts. that should get rid of some of it then wrap the ends of your axle shafts in tinfoil where they go into the lockers. If you still have issues its probably a drag brake issue. At that point I recommend any castle creations esc because the dragbrake is easy to program with the castle link. you could also have a problem with the slipper clutches in the trannys.try tightening them up a bit
I allredy run a sidewinder and the dragbrake is max. This is purley a mechanical problem. There isnt a slipper on either tranny. However i just might try the tinfoil and shims, but i dont really want to glue anything on the drivetrain
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote