Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Reverse mounted vs. Stock mounted Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Reverse mounted vs. Stock mounted Tires

This is what I've found with the reverse direction tires...they don't grab. I tried to get up this climb forever...much longer than the clip of it that I have- with no luck. The way that the tire crumples doesn't stick the lugs out to catch anything. It's hard to explain but if you watch closely the lugs don't catch. Stock mounted they catch alot and I just needed to finesse it a bit to get a good catch. If there was sound you'd be able to hear the difference in bite. Lots of catching stock mounted and very little to no catching reverse mounted. Reverse mounted seems to crumple the lug that has pressure on it as well as the following one so it never has a chance to bite. So the way my tires are cut and siped they work much better in the correct direction. Mutt claims that cutting the side tread too and reverse mounting makes all the difference. I have a spare set and maybe I'll try it...but I don't like the idea of taking out my side tread...I like the bite I have now so we'll see.

On a side note stock uncut tires didn't have a chance. I couldn't even get halfway up the slab of rock. So my opinion is that if you do one mod, cut and sipe your tires. There's no point in articulation if you don't have traction.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gM_Qj4KgA

There is also some more video of the truck in my thread here:
How to convert your Jeep TJ to a Toyota Landcruiser

Joe

Last edited by miller; 03-26-2006 at 01:38 AM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i would never cut my side wall traction gripper thingies off, hell thats half the way it crawls so good, and also i tried mine reversed and i had the same probs so i run mine stock and slits in the lower level lug/knobby whatever, and im thinkin of siliconin the slits back up bcuz the slits let the tire fold in to much but it still climbs good so ill proly get another set and see what works better, my cut tires or stock
rig it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Smile

foe me reverseing the tires works good its all about how you cut your tires.. i mean hell if you leave the tires stock and uncut they dont climb good either way!! its all about the way you drive them..
adawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You cannot argue with the fact that I could not climb an obstacle with them reversed and could in stock direction....the way my tires are cut at least. As for the siping...they way mine were siped has nothing to do with speed. The way my lugs separate would be useless for handling at speed. I'm in vancouver...and it rains alot here, the siping helped bite wet rock.

I'm just presenting a visual on what I found. If anyone wants to dispute this, post up your vids. I'll believe it when I see it...and then I'll run it and confirm it.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

mine arent cut, fronts are reversed rears arent.. the rears are different cause im dumb and put them on wrong one night. and im to lazy to change em.. i got a spare set of tires and wheels sittin here im thinkin about cuttin them a little..
Muddinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #6

With the tire in a crevice, like the right front was, stock direction will obviously work better on rock. You will have flatter surfaces contacting on either side of the tire where it touches the rock, providing a larger surface contact and better traction. If reversed, it would just be two points touching at either side of the tire.

The advantage of reversed tires, at least in my mind, is if you are climbing a sharp point or similar obstacle, when the tire hooks, the point will be forced to the center of the tire due to the angle, instead of being pushed to the outside and causing you to fall off, like stock direction.
jeepinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

look, they just didnt make a set of tires and throwem on there they tested alot befor that and the best way to run them is the front way bcuz the tires will fold up and make the crawler hop when it tries to grab and the tires the way they are cut r good for certain surfaces, cuttin/sipin them is just tuning them to your terain
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This topic completely depends on personal preference. I agree with "jeepinmatt" that with the reversed tires the tire will center itself when climbing a pointy obstical. Since I normally wheel on jagged pointy stuff, I have my tires reversed because they seem to grab better in my oppinion. Like I said this is all based on personal preference, every situation is different due to the terain and the driver. There is no right or wrong way to mount them.

By the way "rig it" hopping is not necesarily a good thing for grip! You start hopping, you start breaking parts and sliding down hills.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

you miss understood me, i was talking bout when they r reversed they bounce more
Old 03-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

oh sorry bout that. And yea i have noticed hopping on climbs when the tires are reversed.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #11