Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Body roll on Exceed maxstone 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Body roll on Exceed maxstone 10

my max stone has way too much body roll and i cant get rid of it i tried traxxas spacers and stiffer shocks but i was wondering if i changer the motor from the stock to a 55turn, if that will reduce it or make it worse? thanks
mud_life_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try doing this it may help your torque roll
Mirror Imaged Transmission
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Try doing this it may help your torque roll
Mirror Imaged Transmission
What? No, don't do that...that will not help at all. It's in your link geometry. Do a search on here for link geometry.

Try spreading your upper links at the axle on on the front and rear axles. Also, on your lower links, try to bring them a little more towards the center of the rig at the chassis. Take some pictures of your setup and post them on here so we can help.

Also, changing to a 55T motor is going to make the torque twist worse if all you do is change the motor. A 55T motor has a lot more low end torque than say a 27 turn..

Here's a few links.

General Crawlers Tips & Tricks thread
RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

Thread on torque twist
Torque twist/HELP PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!

some of the pictures might not show up due to the age of the thread...but they're not needed. Basically you want to try to parallel your links a little more. Spread the top ones at the axle. Changing shock oils and stiffening the shocks is the half @ss way of doing it. It's not the correct way.

Last edited by BrentH; 01-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentH View Post
What? No, don't do that...that will not help at all. It's in your link geometry. Do a search on here for link geometry.

Try spreading your upper links at the axle on on the front and rear axles. Also, on your lower links, try to bring them a little more towards the center of the rig at the chassis. Take some pictures of your setup and post them on here so we can help.

Also, changing to a 55T motor is going to make the torque twist worse if all you do is change the motor. A 55T motor has a lot more low end torque than say a 27 turn..

Here's a few links.

General Crawlers Tips & Tricks thread
RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

Thread on torque twist
Torque twist/HELP PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!

some of the pictures might not show up due to the age of the thread...but they're not needed. Basically you want to try to parallel your links a little more. Spread the top ones at the axle. Changing shock oils and stiffening the shocks is the half @ss way of doing it. It's not the correct way.
Why do you say that wont help when everyone does that for torque roll?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Why do you say that wont help when everyone does that for torque roll?
It will help technically, but it is NOT the correct way to eliminate torque twist. Think of a 1:1 truck....do they add stiffer springs on one side? NO. The link geometry is adjusted accordingly. Fixing your links will eliminate the torque twist. Changing the springs/oil weight is not the correct way to fix this problem.

Search the term "torque twist" and see what comes up, read them, and see what the end result is in correcting the issue.

You're only limiting your suspension by doing it the half @ss way...

And for changing the transmission or motor... I run a 55T motor with an R2D transmission...it's slower than walking speed but has TONS of torque. I have virtually no torque twist because my link geometry is configured correctly.

Last edited by BrentH; 01-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok dude dont pop a blood vessel its not like we are working on the space shuttle or anything its an rc crawler. I understand what your saying but this is not a 1:1 everybody is entitled to his/ her way of doing things and I respect the way you do yours, my ax10 scorpion and my scx10 do not have that tranny mod I mentioned due to the fact that they dont have any torque roll problems all exceed maxstone crawlers do I was just suggesting a way to do it different and alot of people do it that way have a good day bud
Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok dude dont pop a blood vessel its not like we are working on the space shuttle or anything its an rc crawler. I understand what your saying but this is not a 1:1 everybody is entitled to his/ her way of doing things and I respect the way you do yours, my ax10 scorpion and my scx10 do not have that tranny mod I mentioned due to the fact that they dont have any torque roll problems all exceed maxstone crawlers do I was just suggesting a way to do it different and alot of people do it that way have a good day bud
Hey man, if you don't like the correct answer, then don't post here. YOU gave the OP the incorrect way of how to fix it, not me.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

yeah sure out of the 5,000,000 ways to do it mines the incorrect way
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
yeah sure out of the 5,000,000 ways to do it mines the incorrect way
Dude, there isn't "5,000,000 other ways" to fix it. There is 1. Fix the link geometry and you will fix the torque twist. Plain and simple. Like I said, READ all of the other "torque twist" related posts and you will see for yourself what the correct solution is. By stiffening the suspension you are limiting the suspension not correcting it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Sure thing man Also gald you researched and found out that there isnt 5,000,000 ways to do it saved me the trouble
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #11

chill guys its ok. i actually have a maxstone. i adjusted my links first which greatly improved torque twist i was having. then i swapped in losi comp shocks and completely eliminated it. another thing, put a servo plate on the rear axle. if you look close, whenever the truck loads up, it tries to peel the upper link bracket away from the housing. mine used to axlewrap so bad the u joint would hit the upper link.
davidyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Dunno bout maxstone, but mirroring tranny in ax10 didn't help me a lot.
The only 4-link and proper link installation helped. And yes, i added 60wt in rear left. It did affect the articulation but just a bit. Not a big deal.
The conclusion:
1. Position the upper links in a right way.
Check for TT
2. Check the rear shocks for oil leakage
Check for TT
3. Mirror the tranny if u are still unsatisfied with result
Check for TT
Just check on every step u make and u will get the result needed.
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sure thing man Also gald you researched and found out that there isnt 5,000,000 ways to do it saved me the trouble

id actually suggest searching yourself, you may actually learn something

in this situation id listen instead of speaking.

Flipping the tranny is not going to accomplish much, if at all.

Mud Life,

If you have not already, 4 link the maxstone.

Then, run your rear uppers "asymmetrical"

A good suspension and proper geometry will get rid of 80-90% of the TT.

then you CAN always run a stiffer shock spring where needed
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post

Mud Life,

I do research thank you very much, myself and brenth are cool just a mis comunication thanks for the info, and there isnt any sense in you trying to feed flames to the fire, hope ya have a good day bud (not trying to be a prick with the thumbs up)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post

Mud Life,

Bingo.

Proper geometry is the only way to truly resolve torque twist or body roll, but it takes time and trial and error to get things tuned properly. I run the same shock oil/springs all around with a tiny bit of preload on the right rear shock, and have minimal TT.

Stiffer springs and other lazy voodoo type tech are band-aids and a quick fix at best. That kind of stuff gives you an unpredictable, poor handling rig.

Mirroring the trans helps as it puts the weight of the motor closer to the right front tire. Its not a lot of help, but its something. But if you choose to run dig at some point, you'll have to flip it back around.

Changing motors will not fix TT, but it will make it less obvious on level ground. You gas a rig with a 55t motor and it might lift a tire, but it reaches max rpm so fast it doesn't have a chance to really pull. You gas a rig with a fairly fast motor, and it will lift a tire, but only because it takes longer to reach its peak speed, giving that tire a better chance of becoming airborn. Either way, when you start climbing all that TT will still be there, ready to flip you on your lid.

Also, those links are from 5 years ago. While there is still some good info there, read up on some more recent threads. Many things have changed since then.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 01-12-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote