Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Flying with your crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Flying with your crawler

I was wondering how/if you guys flew with your crawler and how you got through security with it In about a month and a half im flying to Florida so I want to make sure I won't have any issues in security with a $800 machine under my arm. Naturally it won't have any batteries on it, it will just be the car with electronics but anyone got tips on what to do to make sure security goes fine
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I am sure in cargo no problem, carry on - don't think they will let you. They will think you have a gun disguised as a toy..lol Sorry man but with things now a days I do not see it happening. I too would not want my crawler getting tossed about underneath.

Also sucks because if you try and take something on board that you cant they charge you a 50 dollar fee or something like that to ship it back to you.

If you have time ship it to where you are headed?

Good luck man,
Reb

Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I was going to ship my batteries and charger ahead but I guess while im at it I could ship the car ahead. Bummer its a 2.2 but get the cheapest shipping option from USPS and go that way . I just love baggage fees any more, it bites
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

it will prob be cheaper to ship it than the baggage fees. you are were only allowed a backpack for carryon on the last flight i went on
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Defy Gravity

when i flew with mine, i just strapped it to my back pack and didn't get much crap about it. i did have my battery looked at as well as having my tx checked to make sure the batteries were pulled, but no huge hassle.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 01-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I took my axles off and pu it under my clothes. Battries and all and just put t in my checked bag. No problem
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think ill just ship the dumb thing. Its amazing how cheap you CAN ship stuff if you look around and choose the "slow" method. I just don't want any issues in the airport, I got a metal rod in my bone and that will be fun enough
Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

when we flew to dallas about a year ago, we had the crawlers in our checked bag with the tires, at first we were over the weight limit. so we took the tools and tires in our carry on.....had screw drivers and Allans and we both had like 3 exacto knifes(razor blades) with us and a ton of extra lead weight and we got threw just fine, they looked at the lead weight sticks and said that is was good.
jeepcj776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ya i flew with mine as carry on. The batteries were in a seperate ziplock bag with the crawler. Piece of cake. I put the radio in with my checked in luggage.
White Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
I joined the Band!

I would just ship it where in fl. are you going im about 45 min. from orlando maybe we could do some riding also is it scale or crawler?
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

lol sounds easier to drive lol
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #12

Florida... There's no rocks there!
BEEFCURTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I used to ship my stuff to larger races when I raced carpet all the time. It was nice and convienent to show up at the hotel and have a nice package waiting for me. Only once did I have to go to the FedEx place to pick my stuff up. If you decide to ship it, call your hotel and see if it's ok to ship it directly to their addy before hand.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I think shipping it is easiest. Ill ship it to my friends house and that way I know its there and I won't have to deal with the airlines and any issues. Heh flying alone is a first for me, I don't want any problems related to my car. I think the metal rod in my leg is fun enough
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I fly with mine on a regular basis. I never check it. Make sure you don't have any tools over 7", you batteries have the contacts taped over, and no drill bits, etc.

We went through security to and from Phoenix this past weekend with no issues. They open my bags, swab for explosives, and then discuss how cool the trucks are.

Be respectful and nice to the TSA agents and they have always been the same back to me.

Oh yeah, and I make sure to tell the TSA agent at the scanner that I have an rc car and parts with me. That way I don't look like I am trying to hide it and they are prepared for it.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #16

Wow this is funny....I went into this section to start a post asking you all if you ever fly with your rc stuff.

Quote:
I fly with mine on a regular basis. I never check it. Make sure you don't have any tools over 7", you batteries have the contacts taped over, and no drill bits, etc.

We went through security to and from Phoenix this past weekend with no issues. They open my bags, swab for explosives, and then discuss how cool the trucks are.
I never would have guessed this, I was thinking to check it and then stand there while they run it through the machine to see if they want to open it and that way I was there to answer questions.......

Quote:
I make sure to tell the TSA agent at the scanner that I have an rc car and parts with me. That way I don't look like I am trying to hide it and they are prepared for it.
When you do this do you take it out of the bag and put it in a box by itself like a laptop?

The Battery thing has my worried, I can't check them yet if I go through security with a laptop-4 LiPo packs-battery charger- I'm afraid I'm going to walk away with less than I walked up with.
I'm going to try it next wedsday, I'm flying home for a few days......Heath.
newmexicocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFCURTIN View Post
Who said you needed to crawl *JUST* rocks Ive taken this car a lot of places with me minus the hospital and its a blast to drag along and make trouble with. Heh nothing's more fun than scaring people with the car, including friends
Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFCURTIN View Post
as a mater of fact ther is rock in florida ! all the inslet in florida use piles of granit bolders to line the canales to keep sand from the beaches out. ther usualy is a beach on eather side of them u can walk too letting u play in the sand or the rocks .
p.s. some of theas rocks are as big as small cars.
gohstwrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i would ship......not sure where ur coming from....but floridas airports "especially orlando" is a real PITA with their security

Orlando Airport
rybredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Smile

I shipped! I got lucky with security at Los Angeles Ontario and Pensacola regional airport. I must say it was a bit of a shock using the body scanners for the first time since I have a metal rod in my leg. Pensacola was so small they didn't even have one. They had 2 scanning lanes and that's it and no body scanners but the rod didn't trip in my leg

Back on topic... my friend lived 10 mins from Navarre Bridge so when we went to the beach I packed my car and drove it at the breakwater rocks here's two pics of the rocks, spending the $50 total to ship it to and from Florida was so much easier than leaving it in the hands of the airline to beat the life out of

"park side" before you took the bridge to the beach

right next to the small harbor/bridge area.