Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help: PowerStroke Scaler Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help: PowerStroke Scaler Shocks

Hi,

I recently purchased some ProLine Power Stroke Scaler Shocks for my Axial SCX10 Honcho, and am having difficulty setting them up.

I have built other shocks which have bleeder holes and cap bladders, but these shocks have neither of those. I believe it known as an "emulsion" shock.

Can anybody advise what is the best way to fill them with oil, and setting a bit of rebound? Thanks!

Last edited by blitz14; 02-15-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added text
blitz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Tossin' Salad

I did this exact thing last night. I compress the shock and start to add oil to it as I slowly let the shock go back to extended. About half way through filling, I stop adding oil, cycle the piston up and down to bleed the air out, and then continue filling the shock until the oil reaches around the threaded area. Put the cap on...you are done.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/user/djmedic2...89/2KqoYy1Zlv8
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, I haven't tried the way in the video before. That's the first time I've seen somebody fill the shocks while the springs were still on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubAron View Post
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Update

So, I figured out why I was having such difficulty filling these shocks.

Apparently, 1 out out my 4 shock caps was machined incorrectly. The shock cap is supposed to have two flat surfaces on opposite sides of the cap threads.

One of mine was threaded all the way around (with no flat sides) preventing air from escaping upon filling with oil.

How frustrating, after almost half a bottle of 30 weight oil from several attempts of "re-filling" and or re-building the shock.

Hopefully Pro-line makes it right.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Help: PowerStroke Scaler Shocks

I'm aware this thread is 10months old, just wanted to comment;

I've ben into RC for nearly 25yrs and have ben racing the last 12-13 of them and never seen a shock filled this way. Aftewr watchiung the video my PL work flawlessly now, I see this crawler thing is new to me so many ways. I had to do a Google search to figure why I was having diifcultys and found this thread and YT link above, thx.
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I just ordered some new pro line shocks too, glad this was dug up or I'm sure I would be very frustrated lol thanks for the info!!!
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

X2, I'm also glad i stumbled upon this thread I was having a little problem with my PL Shocks aswell. Thank for the shocks tip.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #9

^no. just no.

an emulsion shock needs a bit of air inside the shock body for the displacement of the shock shaft when the shock is fully compressed.

the air will also mix/foam with the shock fluid (emulsify).

the key to a nice shock is making sure you have enough air to allow the shock to compress all the way but not so much that when emulsified you have more air than neccesary.

fiddle with one shock and take notes on how much fluid it takes to get it just the way you like it. let the shock oil settle down, take note of how high up inside the shock body the oil is, and then just add that much shock oil to the rest of your shocks.

and dont fill shocks all the way up before you even bleed the air out from under the piston, you will just end up making a mess.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

also, if the shock squishes down all the way really easy and you want a bit of rebound, add a drop of oil and repeat as neccesary to get what ya want. same if you want the shaft to have a tad resistance on full extend, but you would experiment with compressing the shock a little little bit while installing the cap or bleed screw to create a slight vacuum inside the shock body. in both cases you are a bit more likely to blow a shock seal since the shock seals are holding pressure/vacuum and not just keeping the fluid from leaking.

these are just my observations over the years... might be better ways to do it but i aint got no leaky shocks other than my old duratrash kyosho wannabes.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well maybe they will come back and read this.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Badhoopty was probably responding to the clown that necrobumped every 5 year old thread on the powerstroke shocks in every section, it looks like those posts were deleted.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
^no. just no.

an emulsion shock needs a bit of air inside the shock body for the displacement of the shock shaft when the shock is fully compressed.

the air will also mix/foam with the shock fluid (emulsify).

the key to a nice shock is making sure you have enough air to allow the shock to compress all the way but not so much that when emulsified you have more air than neccesary.

fiddle with one shock and take notes on how much fluid it takes to get it just the way you like it. let the shock oil settle down, take note of how high up inside the shock body the oil is, and then just add that much shock oil to the rest of your shocks.

and dont fill shocks all the way up before you even bleed the air out from under the piston, you will just end up making a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
also, if the shock squishes down all the way really easy and you want a bit of rebound, add a drop of oil and repeat as neccesary to get what ya want. same if you want the shaft to have a tad resistance on full extend, but you would experiment with compressing the shock a little little bit while installing the cap or bleed screw to create a slight vacuum inside the shock body. in both cases you are a bit more likely to blow a shock seal since the shock seals are holding pressure/vacuum and not just keeping the fluid from leaking.

these are just my observations over the years... might be better ways to do it but i aint got no leaky shocks other than my old duratrash kyosho wannabes.
Great info, too many people don't know how to properly fill and bleed shocks!

PS, it does not matter how old the thread is, now the correct info is all here and can be found with a search.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote