Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: use protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default skid plates / slide rails

I have been working on low profile skid protection for the bottom of my rig. I noticed that the bottom of my axles were taking a beating. I don't do comps yet so losing 1/8 inch of clearance does not bother me. Aluminum did not work out well. I found a plastic that is moldable when heated and came up with this skid plate. It slides easy on rock and does not hang up. It also protects the motor area.

Let me know what you think

I also got an idea for slide rails for the sides. Seems to slide well.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by dystance; 06-19-2006 at 07:46 PM.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

the diffs are the skids.

no need for anything extra.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
MWRCA'er

You have a nice set of skids by far the best setup ones I have seen.

But, I'm with DirkDigler on this one. Axle cases are cheap and take a long long time to wear out.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

long time to ware out to never ware out.interesting concept.any way if it's not interfering then use it
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
1*

It looks like you used Kydex, at least that's what I've heard it called. I formed my skid last night for my Mantis chassis. It will cover the bottom and extend forward toward the axles. My driveshafts were getting beat to hell on the rocks and Kydex offered an easy solution.
rcr3fan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think its cool
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So after some testing, I have decided that I like the skid plates and the slide rails. Neither hangs up and I do not notice any down side. The skid plates are holding up great. I have a new body that I did some new slide rails on and really like them. I bent the lower portion of the body inward for clearance and then applied my slide rails. They are made from carpet transition strips (aluminum). They are applied with liquid nails, and seem to be solid. They do not hang up like the edge of the body does. Instead of the body edge catching and pulling, the slide guard keeps the edge rigid and it slides free more easily.
Attached Images

Last edited by dystance; 06-19-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystance
I have been working on low profile skid protection for the bottom of my rig. I noticed that the bottom of my axles were taking a beating. I don't do comps yet so losing 1/8 inch of clearance does not bother me. Aluminum did not work out well. I found a plastic that is moldable when heated and came up with this skid plate. It slides easy on rock and does not hang up. It also protects the motor area.

Let me know what you think

I also got an idea for slide rails for the sides. Seems to slide well.

Let me know what you think.

one more action shot for grins
Where did you find the plastic you can mold when heated? I cant find where to get it.
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

We have a plastic supply house called Fort Collins Plastics. They have all types of plastic materials. It's not really a retail place. They mostly do fabrication and wholesale.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Those rocker panels look great
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Does wnyone else know where you can get the plastic you heat and can be molded, i have heard of others guys useing it to?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ever heard of the internet......what the f*#k is the internet?

Try this link:

http://www.fortcollinsplastics.com/f...splastics.html

Call them up and ask about it.

I cannot remember the type of plastic, but they will know that of which you speak. Describe it as sheet plastic, black in color, textured on one side. It comes in several sizes, I used 1/8th inch thickness. I think he would ship it out, or at least give you the name for you to look for a sourse closer to your local. When/ if you find out the name, post it up on this thread.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ever heard of the internet......what the f*#k is the internet?

Try this link:

http://www.fortcollinsplastics.com/f...splastics.html

Call them up and ask about it.

I cannot remember the type of plastic, but they will know that of which you speak. Describe it as sheet plastic, black in color, textured on one side. It comes in several sizes, I used 1/8th inch thickness. I think he would ship it out, or at least give you the name for you to look for a sourse closer to your local. When/ if you find out the name, post it up on this thread.
Hey thanks smart a$$
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

My pleasure Quote from Silent Bob. What ya using the plastic for?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have an NN chassis and i dont want to mount the ESC on the axle and i got a good idea to use the plastic as a mounting plate and mold it around the upper bar that connects the 2 chassis side plastes to gether.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Good idea. I also run the NN and use thin aluminum bent and attached to the side plates to mount the ESC and receiver. Same idea. Keep the electronics looking clean.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

ya thats a great idea too, never thought about using that. I love the NN chassis.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So after some testing, I have decided that I like the skid plates and the slide rails. Neither hangs up and I do not notice any down side. The skid plates are holding up great. I have a new body that I did some new slide rails on and really like them. I bent the lower portion of the body inward for clearance and then applied my slide rails. They are made from carpet transition strips (aluminum). They are applied with liquid nails, and seem to be solid. They do not hang up like the edge of the body does. Instead of the body edge catching and pulling, the slide guard keeps the edge rigid and it slides free more easily.
I like this, looks alot better than others I've seen, I realy like the rockbars/sliders.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJacked
Where did you find the plastic you can mold when heated? I cant find where to get it.

It's called Kydex.

Tower has it.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I finally got around to making the second version of my skid plates. I ran my rig for awhile without them, but I got BTA steering, and I thought it would be good to use a skid to prevent scraping along on the steering components. This time I used 1/16" thick material, ( it is ABS plastic ) and heated and shaped small areas at a time. This worked better that heating the whole piece in the oven and then trying to mold the whole thing. This version is much lower profile, only lost 1/16". I notice it slides over ledges easier with the skids, so I figure the compromise is worth it. The skid plate is attached using the two hole in the gear case as shown, and by molding the plastic over the nub on the motor mount area.