Thread: scx10 dingo or honcho???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default scx10 dingo or honcho???

hey guys hows it going i am looking at getting a honcho or a dingo

can you pleas tell me the pros and cons as i am new to scaler's

thanks jayden

ps if any one knows where i can get one for $250 AU shiped to australia can you pleas pm me
crawler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

it depends on what type of scaling you're gonna be doing if it involves alot of climbing big rocks and steep inclines the honcho is better stock, the dingo will climb just as good with alot of work, if you wanna change the body to lets say a jeep or fj, or a landcruiser the the dingo it has a 11.4 wheelbase as for the honcho has a 12.3 which dont sound like much but a inch is alot when it comes to lining ur tires up with ur wheel wells both are great rigs and capable of awesome trail riding i hope this helps post more info and i'll try to help u more
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

ok well i want it to go fast (for a crawler) and be good on dirt and general trails

why is the honcho better out of the box??
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

The wheelbase is the biggest difference, it is not that hte honcho is better out of the box. It's the honcho has the longer wheelbase and the battery mounted up front so it has a better climbing ability. The Dingo has the battery mounted in the rear and better break over angle. Like a real "Jeep" they tend to want to flip backwards on hill climbs, longer wheelbased vehicles like Unlimited Jeeps or Scouts, Blazers, Broncos, Mini trucks all then to have the wheels farther apart givign better stability and making them harder to flip. Hope this helps!
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The battery on the Dingo can be moved to the front too. Its is basically a matter of body-style preference, the body and the wheelbase are the only difference. If you wanted to get a different body for either you may have to change the links to match the wheelbase of your new body. It is not a big deal.

Both are Excellent trucks! I really like them both, so I got both.
My Honcho has the stock 1.9's, my Dingo has 2.2's.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have the Dingo rtr and i like it. You would just need to upgrade electronics sooner than later. that goes for either of them though.
Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

ok the question you asked was you want it to go fast and be a basic trail truck. then my answer is you could pick either, to make it go fast all you need to do is get a 3s lipo, at hobbykings.com blue lipo 2200 14bucks and they are excellent and will give you awesome wheelspeed also a 20t pinion. and either is a great trail truck and u can mount the batt. up front on either truck the directions with the dingo show you how..me personally i would get the kit for cheap and buy ur own electronics because you're gonna have to replace them anyway castle sidewinder is on sale now for like 65bucks and you can get a radio 3ch cheap just about anywhere as for motor a good hand wound holmes hobby or brood is topshelf bada$$ itll cost a lil more but nothing compares and theyll also give u sic wheelspeed
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

ok thanks for the help in the futer i will probley put a land rover body on it
or a jeep or maybe a GQ patrol

i think i will still get the rtr as i am a bit short on cash at the moment and i like to see the befor and arfter of what i do

thanks for the help guys

on a side note can you put a lift kit in them ???
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

save yourself the time and money in the long run and get the honcho kit.
metal links are biggest difference and a must. plus rtr electronics in the dingo are a temp thing. just get honcho kit and electronics and do it right the first time. trust me you are gonna replace the electronics in the dingo real quick especially if you get them wet at ALL. and the stock plastic links suck.
if you want it to go fast and still crawl and not go overboard pricewise get this
traxxas xl-5 esc and 12t titan motor.
they are waterproof and pretty quick. not to mention can be found on ebay pretty cheap since they come in 80% of traxxas vehicles.
a larger pinion.
I would get a Savox SC-0251 servo and waterproof it or
a traxxas waterproof servo or just some cheap chinese metal gear high torque.
batteries depend on if you want to go lipo or nimh
I personally would go 2s or 3s lipo. lipo batteries and chargers can be had cheap from the chinese sites. hobbypartz.com and hobbyking.com

just my 2 cents on the subject.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
save yourself the time and money in the long run and get the honcho kit.
metal links are biggest difference and a must. plus rtr electronics in the dingo are a temp thing. just get honcho kit and electronics and do it right the first time. trust me you are gonna replace the electronics in the dingo real quick especially if you get them wet at ALL. and the stock plastic links suck.
if you want it to go fast and still crawl and not go overboard pricewise get this
traxxas xl-5 esc and 12t titan motor.
they are waterproof and pretty quick. not to mention can be found on ebay pretty cheap since they come in 80% of traxxas vehicles.
a larger pinion.
I would get a Savox SC-0251 servo and waterproof it or
a traxxas waterproof servo or just some cheap chinese metal gear high torque.
batteries depend on if you want to go lipo or nimh
I personally would go 2s or 3s lipo. lipo batteries and chargers can be had cheap from the chinese sites. hobbypartz.com and hobbyking.com

just my 2 cents on the subject.
The new electronics are better now on the rtr's (TR-trail ready) They have a castle made ESC with a drag brake & a 2.4 ghz radio system, ya the servo is weak but so what, replace it. DONT wast money on a traxxas servo they suck! Get a Hitec 5645 or a 645- I've submerged these many times with no problems, and alot stronger than a traxxas servo.

as for links they are easy and cheap to make, that is the only thing the Honcho kit has that is better + you'll need to paint the body since it comes clear with the kit. RTR IS A BETTER DEAL! IMO.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Honcho TR
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

ok well i can get a tr honcho or tr dingo for under $270 brand new

but i will see what offers i get first

i will go tr just because i dont want to be spending more and more money on it just to get it going i would rather only chage what needs changing at the time

thanks for all you help
Old 03-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Choose it based on which body you like. The difference between the two are a wash. Some things make the longer wheelbase more desirable, some make the shorter wheelbase more desirable. Neither one will disappoint you!
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i think i will go the dingo as less people have them
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I go with a honcho, but thats just me I like hiking with my honcho its got a Integy 55T V11 with a 20T pinion its power walking speed and I still have enough torque to get me out of anything I throw at it. not sure what speed you want out of yours... keep in mind the honcho b/c of its longer wheel base will high center more often then the dingo.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

yer i think i will go the dingo