Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Belt Slip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #1

Default Belt Slip

Hey all have a question, having major belt slip. I've read a few threads about the belt slip. BUT what really work without breaking something, heard about o-ring, put rear belt to the front. But what really works, i don't want a temp fix. So can anybody point me in the right direction.:?
I'm new on here and i just bought my rock crawl couple days ago also. Any HELP would be awesome.
Eric
erockshws@yahoo.com
ehastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #2

I clean mine every time I have the axles apart, or when they start slipping bad. I just dip a Q-tip in alcohol and press it up against the drive side of the belt while I apply throttle. Do it until the Q-tip doesn't get really black anymore, usually after two Q-tips. Works good for a while. They will slip some over time, it is just normal wear on the belt.
mudking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

O-rings work great but keep in mind if the belt doesn't slip you will destroy the gears if you get it bound up and keep going
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeah but look at his nylint do you really want to follow his example
Old 04-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #5

Question

Ok all still does not answer my question, what works and what does not??? If there were alot of parts out there i would try anything, but parts are limited for now!!!!!...

Eric
Old 04-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Just loose some weight. I haven't done anything to mine. I really don't have a slipping belt problem. In away you want them to slip, so it won't break anything. Now if you have had it for a while the belt maybe wornout a little. I good way to keep the rear from slipping is to move the motor to the outside and shave the rear axle for clearance. This way you can simple adjust the tension of the belt. If it doesn't slip that often leave it alone. If it's not broke don't fix it.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just did the o-ring in front and front belt in rear and it works great. before both axles would stall out bad at any kind of incline in high gear. Now I can fly up a dirt hill in high gear and kick up a rooster tail! I can also crawl in high gear if i want, when crawling in low i just watch what is happening with the terain and if it gets bound up i just pick another line. Keep in mind this is a 3rd gen with stronger axle parts so a gen 1 or gen 2 might not hold up for too long. If you just pay attention to your crawler and back out when it gets bound up you will be happy in my oppinion.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Now I can fly up a dirt hill in high gear and kick up a rooster tail!
Ya right. Lets see the Video. There is no way a 1:6th Nylint could throw a rooster tail in High gear going up hill. I maybe wrong.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

its no spectacular roostertail but enough to be spinning all four tires and kick up some dirt. I would get a vid but i dont have the means to make one and post it. sorry
Old 04-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I am curious what this o ring thing is you are talking about?
I have had mine for a month or more and I have inboarded the shocks, tummy tuck, extended the chassis, and made my own skid plates. It has all helped a ton and I have not had any problems with it till yesterday when I noticed the front axle seems to be slippin, cause it's not pullin itself up on stuff as easy and you can here the motor turnin but the tires are not moving at all!

I think I have the fourth gen!
any suggestions?
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

all you do for the o ring mod is move the front belt to the rear axle and put the right size o-ring in the front axle. I'm not sure of the part number anymore but if you do a little bit of searching you will come up with some much more in depth explanations.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

is it neccesary to put the front belt on the rear?

what is the benefit of that, or is it a must?
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

its a little smaller than the other belt so it slips less i just used two o-rings
Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #14
[HOONIGAN]

what you need to do is go to checkers and buy a 1 13/16" o-ring. Put this o-ring on the front and take the front o-ring and put it on the rear. The front stock o-ring is a little larger diameter and the perfect size for the rear so you get a little more contact on the pully, but if you want to put an o-ring on the back get a 2". This will solve your problems, i have this on a gen 1 and a gen 4, and I have no extra problems (not a single one with the gen 4), and the gen 1 dosn't break anymore often than it did with the stock belts. If you get the axles bound up enough the belts will still slip so you won't be constantly breaking gears and stuff.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #15

Thanks all for the HELP!!!!!!!

Eric
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Has anyone tried the belts that the guy is selling on eBay? It says that it has good instructions with detailed pitures. There was also some aluminum gears on there for sale the other day for the gear reductions. Anyone tried this stuff?
trevorsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I just took used belt dressing and no more slipping at all. I started worrying about breaking axles again.
Monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

wow, i cant beleive people are giving over $12 for o-rings that are costing him no more than 2 dollars a piece
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote