Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help with gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Help with gearing

I'm sort of "new" to crawling and have some concerns about gearing. My LHS is swamped right now (nice weather means alot of bashers coming in) and I have some questions regarding gearing and such. I'll list the stuff I have on my truck to help get some good answers.

I have a Tamiya CC01 (Unimog).
- 1.9" tires with Proline weighted beadlocks
- Sidewinder V2 ESC /w 2s 4000mAh LiPo
- Novak Rockstar 45t brushed motor
- Locked Diffs.

Now, I'm wondering what I should run for pinion to help this motor run as smooth and as cool as possible. I mounted the stock silvercan motor improperly (vent wasn't facing down, but towards the servo) and on a steepish incline my motor overheated and crapped out (solder on the wires came off).

I'm not entirely sure what the stock pinion gear is (I can check if it's needed), but am I ok to just run the stock pinion, or should I change the gear? And if I should change the gear, what is the best one to run with (I just want a nice balance of torque and speed, possibly a slight bit towards torque)?

I appreciate the help guys.
xxCARLSONxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I will guess that the "vent direction" had nothing to do with the motor issue.

Either you have a big bind (gear mesh, trans, axle) or you are waaayyyyyy overgeared.

Crawler motors tend to live "easy" lives due to the gear reduction they use. Thus they draw less amps compared to a "speed rig". Amps = heat.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

The truck ran great for an hour until the incline that killed it, I'm not sure if some debris got into the motor and caught on the brushes and caused it to bind inside the motor. I ran the crawler for about 2 hours the day before and never had any issues. The day before I took it into the river bottom and just did some low key trailing on pretty level trails. I took it all apart when I got home on the day I killed it, and checked everything and nothing was binding. I applied some more grease to all the gears in the tranny and the diffs and it was all smooth and good. The truck was very "peppy", it was a little too quick for a crawler. It may have just been operator flaw, I was being heavy on the throttle to get it up the incline (more speed than torque with the truck).
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just took the motor out, and checked for any binding and I couldn't feel any binding. I also checked the pinion, and it's a 16 tooth pinion gear. I know that running bigger tires/rims essentially "gears" up the truck, could running bigger wheels and not changing the pinion, cause over heating on the inclines?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Anybody?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Dude all I can say is id keep taking stuff apart until I found what the issue is.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

There is absolulely no binding what so ever. I took every gear out, greased it and put it back in. I just want to know about what gearing would be best. 13 tooth or 14 tooth or 15 tooth.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

do you have pinions that you can try without buying more if so drop in a lower gear see how it does
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote