Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 1/8 buggy for rock racer project?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 1/8 buggy for rock racer project?

I've been looking for a truck to use as a base for a rock racer project for a while now. I know I want to start with something that is all independent suspension. I'm looking for suggestions for a truck to begin the project with. First though a few criteria:

- Must be RTR or as close to it as possible

- I know solid axles are better for crawling than independent suspension - I won't be using this project for technical crawling. Maybe a few simple rock beds, but mostly dirt/trail driving and curb hopping.

- I'm open to suggestions of nitro trucks. Again, I know nitro sucks for crawling - not going to be crawling.

- Price isn't really a concern.

- Not going to enter any competitions with the completed rig, so no need to worry about any particular specifications for comps.

- Don't want a Traxxas Revo or Summit. Those are far too large. Think wheelbase and width around that of a 1/8 buggy

So...Anyone have any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Maybe a 4x4 Slash? There are some newer boddies that are coming out that look more like a normal truck then a stadium truck. Very good parts support and upgradeable.

But if you want to go the 1/8 gas route. Ofna has a bunch of 1/8 rtr buggies that are around $300. They have pretty good parts support. they are durable and built like a tank. Which is part of why they are not the best racers as they can be heavy comparable to some race rigs in their class. They are great bashers and a lot of fun. The bad is they would be pretty useless on any kind of rocks due to the power response (high rpm power) of nitro engines. But for blasting around bmx type tracks or whatnot, they can not be beat.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I'll take a look!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

i adapted mini slash diffs and transmission to an scx10 chassis for a full indy susp. toyota. was going to do a indy buggy but ran out of money for metal and gas. very easy to do but the mini will need metal driveshafts and locked diffs to hold u to the crawling abuse. as well as hardened outputs and diff gears (ring and pinion)
dschaetzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here is an IFS build that I'm building for a customer in Canada
Slash 4x4/axial

Feel free to ask any ?'s about it.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
I've been looking for a truck to use as a base for a rock racer project for a while now. I know I want to start with something that is all independent suspension. I'm looking for suggestions for a truck to begin the project with. First though a few criteria:

- Must be RTR or as close to it as possible

- I know solid axles are better for crawling than independent suspension - I won't be using this project for technical crawling. Maybe a few simple rock beds, but mostly dirt/trail driving and curb hopping.

- I'm open to suggestions of nitro trucks. Again, I know nitro sucks for crawling - not going to be crawling.

- Price isn't really a concern.

- Not going to enter any competitions with the completed rig, so no need to worry about any particular specifications for comps.

- Don't want a Traxxas Revo or Summit. Those are far too large. Think wheelbase and width around that of a 1/8 buggy

So...Anyone have any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Basically it sounds like you just want an 8th scale buggy and will be bashing with it to me.

Everything you described is basically an 8th scale buggy, nothing more, nothing less.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yes, it will be much more "go-fast" oriented than the majority of other IFS builds, but I do like the look of all the IFS rigs that have been popping up on the site. Effectively what I'd like to do is take a 1/8 buggy and build in some crawler influence.