Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my modded vs my stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default my modded vs my stock

Well, i'm disappointed. I've modded my nylint heavily with most of the mods shown in this forum. I'm still running the stock chassis, but with a tt and alot of suspension mods. It flexes insane. I decided to test out both stock and modified nylints on the same course, taking the same lines. Well......no difference cuz the stock nylint went everywhere the modified nylint did, and lemme tell you, the course was NOT easy. First comes about 20 feet of up-hill mud wrestling (thick gooey kind) and then an uphill rock climb that's nearly 50 degrees. After that is some serious off-camber crawling that gets you on three tires for about 6 feet. The only issue was tummy clearance but i was able to slide off most obstacles. Everything else was the same and both nylints crossed the finish line. Now i feel i wasted alot of time modding mine. I actually feel the stock nylint had better control for the off-camber crawling because it was not leaning as much as the modded one and i could keep the body relatively horizontal, while the modded's body was angled severely but was still steady.

of course i could "stick" my nylint and extend the wheelbase for better climbing and lower cog, but it'd no longer be a nylint then.....

now if only my savage shocks would arrive...........those should add more stability to the modified one......or not.

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-09-2006 at 04:38 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

I don't think you course was hard enough then. I have a stock, a heavily modded, and a stick nylint. I have compared the three and I definetly can do more with each one respectivly. I your stocker could do the course then obviously the modded one can do the course and it won't be that different. I do agree though that the stocker is alot more stable and keeps the body in better positions. I can do stuff with my modded one that the stocker can't, and I can do stuff with my stick that my modded one can't. Find a harder course and then try them out. Also a sticked clod is still a clod and you only use the axles, a sticked nylint is still a nylint.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
I don't think you course was hard enough then. I have a stock, a heavily modded, and a stick nylint. I have compared the three and I definetly can do more with each one respectivly. I your stocker could do the course then obviously the modded one can do the course and it won't be that different. I do agree though that the stocker is alot more stable and keeps the body in better positions. I can do stuff with my modded one that the stocker can't, and I can do stuff with my stick that my modded one can't. Find a harder course and then try them out. Also a sticked clod is still a clod and you only use the axles, a sticked nylint is still a nylint.

X2

I have a modded up one and bro has a stocker(he made skids(still stock to me) and I can do alot more on are course then he can ( :-Ppisses him sometimes )

Check out my sig line for pix of both mine and his rigs.... and good luck with making a course worth comparing the two on, because you need to:-P
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I definately wouldn't call my trail "easy". But it's not "impossible" either. The beginning is 100% mud going up a 20 degree hill. It takes about 3-4 minutes to get up there, constantly spinning the tires and turning L & R. The 2nd portion of the trail is going over logs that are avout 6-10" thick and stacked 3" apart. This is a good spot to get a tire crammed. The 3rd portion is a hill climb as mentioned in the first post and is impossible to make it up going straight, and also not do-able when wet. The 4th portion is our bridge test which is two 2" wide logs perpendicular to each other, acting as a bridge. The right logs steadily raises while the left stays flat. This causes a 3-wheeler situation and going any faster than .20 mph will have you slipping off. this part is known to stuff tires completely into fenders. The 5th portion of the course is rocks as high as my knees. This is the place where I get stuck the most. The last portion of the trail is 30 yard uphill treck around trees, roots, loose dirty and vines. We hand-made this course which is about 50-70 yards long and takesa a good 1/2 hour to get through. I've only made it through unscathed once.

The stocker does perform differently, such as getting a lot of air, becoming tippy, and sliding, but it does continue on and pass the course. While the modded can get through with it's additional flex and modded tires (MT-like tread pattern) a little easier. But both do pass.

Maybe I should make it harder to the point where both can't get through and then mod accordingly
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

well, it honeslty sounds like the only part of your course that modifying your nylint would even help a little is on the rock section, you said you took the same lines with both, therefore you probably took the easiest line in order to get through with the stock chassis, then when you went through with the modded one it was the same.......

i too have a stock one and a modded one.....there is NO comparison......
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedMini469
well, it honeslty sounds like the only part of your course that modifying your nylint would even help a little is on the rock section, you said you took the same lines with both, therefore you probably took the easiest line in order to get through with the stock chassis, then when you went through with the modded one it was the same.......

agreed

I have said and say again I have a lightly modded rig and a stocker, the modded one out does the stocker/ stocker can not longer follow me....

I play on rocks and need all the flex and clearence i can get. If you play in Mud and dirt then yes you wasted your time modding your rig, because there really is not need for any flex or much of a TT in he mud... stiff springs will run better in the mud.

If is your rig and you can do what u want, but saying your stocker is doing what your modded rig is doing is just wrong... if you modded it correctly and didnt mess something up :-P
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

if you want a nylint that a stock wont be able to follow, do the mods in my sig.....plain as that
Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:

That's the only picture i had on hand of the trail, well at least part of it. The stock nylint is shown here with a temporary too-small hummer body taped on. I got tired of wheeling just a chassis so out came he duct tape. This is the rock section of the trail and as you can see, it's not easy. There are no easy lines to take. It's all about tire placement. Even though the modded nylint tackled the rocks with insane flex and traction, the stock one did it with alot of air and proper tire placement. Of course there were some high-centering moments but a few minutes of struggling had it going again.

I've been wheeling for 13 years now and have seen quite a few stock tj's out-perform the big boys that were modded intensly. It's all about the driver. The same goes for these little creatures that crawl.

I'm pretty sure if i sticked my nylint, it'll get through these rocks with ease. But that'd be no fun
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
[HOONIGAN]

Yeah, it's all about the driver. Put the better driver behind the better vehichle and they'll out perform anyone. It doesn't matter how capable the the vehicle is, if the driver sucks they won't be able to get over anything, so put the same driver behind a compitition buggy and a stock jeep you get the same results. It's not the vehicle it's the driver or the course is to easy.

Your course looks good but it's just a big pile of rocks. A pile of rock is a horrible comparison ground, I know first hand. Ya it might be difficult to get through, but they really suck. All I crawl on here in Golden is a rocks like you have and yeah my stocker can get through the same stuff that my stick gets through. You need to compare them on terrain like the comps have. In the summer I go to St. George and crawl at the place that they hold the utrcrc comp at. What a huge difference!! On terrain like that you can truly compare vehicles, my stocker won't do crap compared to my modded one and my stick.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

that is an awesome course its all about angle of approach so i see why a stock nylint could do it
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, it's all about the driver. Put the better driver behind the better vehichle and they'll out perform anyone. It doesn't matter how capable the the vehicle is, if the driver sucks they won't be able to get over anything, so put the same driver behind a compitition buggy and a stock jeep you get the same results. It's not the vehicle it's the driver or the course is to easy.

Your course looks good but it's just a big pile of rocks. A pile of rock is a horrible comparison ground, I know first hand. Ya it might be difficult to get through, but they really suck. All I crawl on here in Golden is a rocks like you have and yeah my stocker can get through the same stuff that my stick gets through. You need to compare them on terrain like the comps have. In the summer I go to St. George and crawl at the place that they hold the utrcrc comp at. What a huge difference!! On terrain like that you can truly compare vehicles, my stocker won't do crap compared to my modded one and my stick.

its not just the driver bcuz a better ride will be better and a stock nylint is not gonna perform the same as a good built stick, its just not gonna happen unless ur crawlin on flat ground and like u said its proly cuz the coarse is too easy
rig it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

its not just the driver bcuz a better ride will be better and a stock nylint is not gonna perform the same as a good built stick, its just not gonna happen unless ur crawlin on flat ground and like u said its proly cuz the coarse is too easy
rig it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well i did it again, with both the stocker and modded nylint. This time, with wet conditions and a FULL obstacle course. Let's just say that i drained both batteries before i got 1/2 way through the 70 yard course........it's NOT easy :?

The modded nylint did exceptionally better than the stock due to the mt-styled-chopped-up tires and newly added savage shocks. The stock baja claws just wouldn't grip on the wet rocks and i had to bypass a few obstacles. I wasn't expecting to get to the end anyways because NO ONE could get up the last steep hill climb that has you dodging tree trunks and thick sticks. Not even the gas-powered 4x4 tmaxx could get up there at full throttle/speed.

But hey, i'm happy cuz i got 1/2 way and the New Bright Rockcrawler (friend's) couldn't get over the first rock (laughing)

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-11-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

that ius the best way i have ever seen to mount a body man how did you come up with that ]\\[ thats ugly why not just use silver wood screw or something but sometimes its all about functuality

oh well sweet pic man
Old 05-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex
that ius the best way i have ever seen to mount a body man how did you come up with that ]\\[ thats ugly why not just use silver wood screw or something but sometimes its all about functuality

oh well sweet pic man
Thanks, it took alot of time to get those strips of duct tape to the right length, not to mention sticking them on the chasses....whew, glad that's done with.

Ha....sooner or later i'll find a jeep body for it.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yeah just get like a 1/10 scal nkkio or something off ebay the vehicle i was watching one its gonna end soon for 15 bucks a whole 4x4 rc truck but the body is a sweet 10th scale wrangler
Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

ok, since my modded nylint is dead, i have been playing with my *mostly* stock rig....it has inboarded rear shocks and front wheelbase extended 1 notch, other than that it is stock.....

i hate to say this, but it is honestly more capable than my modded one was....it will do lines that the modded one would just spin the tires on....

yes, i get hung up more often because it is not TT'ed or and the rear axle isn't shaved, but if i take a little more time and plan the lines, thats no issue....

i think it comes down to the weight.....my modded rig was simply LIGHT, probably around 1/2 the weight of the stocker, so it didn't have enough weight on the tires to pull itself up anything....

i dont think i will be doing any more mods to this one, i like it just as it is, and its pretty nice haveing high gear.....

maybe someday i will put some new electronics in the stocker and play with it again, but for now i am more than pleased with the stocker since it will do everything the modded one would do except climbing straight up ledges because the belly hits.....
Old 06-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
ok, since my modded nylint is dead, i have been playing with my *mostly* stock rig....it has inboarded rear shocks and front wheelbase extended 1 notch, other than that it is stock.....

i hate to say this, but it is honestly more capable than my modded one was....it will do lines that the modded one would just spin the tires on....

yes, i get hung up more often because it is not TT'ed or and the rear axle isn't shaved, but if i take a little more time and plan the lines, thats no issue....

i think it comes down to the weight.....my modded rig was simply LIGHT, probably around 1/2 the weight of the stocker, so it didn't have enough weight on the tires to pull itself up anything....

i dont think i will be doing any more mods to this one, i like it just as it is, and its pretty nice haveing high gear.....

maybe someday i will put some new electronics in the stocker and play with it again, but for now i am more than pleased with the stocker since it will do everything the modded one would do except climbing straight up ledges because the belly hits.....
well it's nice to know someone else agrees

My stocker goes where my modded does just as well, except for the minor tummy-rubbin issue. I feel the stocker can do just as much because it's suspension is not modified for extreme flex like our modded nylints are. This enable alot of weight to be applied to each wheel for the best all-around traction, unlike having 75-90 degrees of flex which throws off the weight and leaves one tire worthless.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Just run your stock battery and 6-8oz of weight in both front tires... YEEHAH
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

i also think another reason my modded one isn't as good as my stocker is cause it doesn't have shocks on it.....i never got around to that, so the only weight that was pushing on the tires was the weight that could be put on from the middle.....