Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: front left axle shaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default front left axle shaft

i have broken my front left axle shaft part 5 times now. everytime i take the jeep out i break a weld or something that i have fixed. this thing has so much torque. i put little orings around the recieveing end of the belt in the axle so now the belts get tons of grip. today i am getting the biggest dogbone probably MIP that will still fit in the coupling for the wheel hub and hopefully the shaft will never break again

Last edited by 12flex; 05-10-2006 at 06:39 AM.
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex
i have broken my front left axle shaft part 5 times now. everytime i take the jeep out i break a weld or something that i have fixed. this thing has so much torque. i put little orings around the recieveing end of the belt in the axle so now the belts get tons of grip. today i am getting the biggest dogbone probably MIP that will still fit in the coupling for the wheel hub and hopefully the shaft will never break again
Like you said, this thing has a lot of torque and something's gotta give. To fix your issue, I'd put the belts back the way they were, even if they slip a little. I'm sure you rather have the belt slip than axle snap right? My nylint has some belt-slippage but I am not bothered by it since my drivetrain has suffered zero breakage in 34 nasty-abusive crawling trips. When it slips, I back up and take a different line. Preventing belt slippage on the nylint is like stuffing a dana 35 with a locker and 37" tires: something's gonna go.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #3