Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axia ax10 , trail honcho or tamyia cr01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default axia ax10 , trail honcho or tamyia cr01

ok so its been a while since i been around here looking at getting back into the crawling. been playing into the boats the last while and its starting to bore me

so i came across 3 local used crawlers all are in GREAT shape.

axial ax10 scorpion

axial trail honcho

and a tamyia unimog

all are RTR and in new condition. what route should i go.i will not be in any real comps just playin with some friends. who all vary. some scalers some comp crawlers. and be able to put in my miss geico at the beach.

suggestions please
Pegasix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

You probably would want to go with a scaler like the honcho the ax10 is a full blown crawler. The honcho still works really well on rocks but is a scale rig and would look good hauling a boat. Thats just my two cents worth.
stroker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Go with the scx10 ....from what I've heard the cr01 is really top heavy

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've got an SCX10 Honcho & a CR01 land cruiser. Both are super fun trucks. The SCX10 chassis is more scale for sure. the SCX10 new in kit form is a good $100 less than the CR01. Tamiya kits, IMO, are the most fun to build, there are probably 3 times as many parts as the SCX10, for some people this may be not a good thing. I enjoy complex kits and Tamiya rocks in that dept. but it sounds like that doesn't pertain to you since they are all RTR. There are a lot more aftermarket parts & stuff in general for the SCX10, it's just a more popular truck. A lot mroe threads on mods & what not.

Neither are comp crawlers or pretend to be. While the CR01 is more top heavy, it also has better clearance than the SCX10. so I have spots where my CR01 goes a$$ over end and the SCX10 stays put and spots where I get the chassis hung on the SCX10 and the CR01 jsut rolls right over.

Many would argue this but I think they are simiar in capabilities & just diferent. and the terrain you drive on may favor one over the other.

both are pretty durable. the drive shafts usually need to be upgraded to steel on the CR01. SCX10 is pretty durable right out of the box. That said, play hard enough and you can break anything.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict

try the SCX10 that way you get the best of both worlds, a scaler and a crawler. i use my honcho more than any of my others because its so versitile good luck on your decission.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on what you want to do... I'd go with the Tamiya, scaler GTGs are really fun, but if there are 20 people there, 15 of them will have an SCX, which is cool, but I like being different...

Parts support, either one of the Axials are the way to go, just about any hobby shop will have one of its peg-board pannels dedicated to Axial.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-29-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

im siding for the scx10 trail honcho but a buddy its going to parth with his 1month old axial wraith so im torn

wraith or trail honcho

like i said not looking to do comps but just looking to go out and have some fun with some friends. there are NO other trail honcho's in this group most are scalers and high lifts
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The Tamiya is half as durable as an SCX10, and has about half the crawling ability of one too.
Screw the Tamiya unless you want a shelf queen
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If it's just for fun, go with the wraith. I've been playing with my Bro Hellbug's wraith for a few days getting it ready for the G6 Challenge. It's a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_Crisis View Post
im siding for the scx10 trail honcho but a buddy its going to parth with his 1month old axial wraith so im torn

wraith or trail honcho

like i said not looking to do comps but just looking to go out and have some fun with some friends. there are NO other trail honcho's in this group most are scalers and high lifts
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would have to dissagree with CR01 being a shelf queen. I have had mine for two years & have beat 3 bodies to pieces & ground the plastic axle housings down into the metal screw heads to the point that I couldn't open the axles up without drilling the screws out. The only thing I had to do is upgrade the plastic drive shafts to steel and that is a weak point. The weak point on the Honcho for bashing is that semi rigid cage in the back. When you take a big fall onto rock & it hits on the cage, most of the energy is transfered to the top 4 mounting points on the lexan shell. I have cracked my first body at these points. One thing I didn't mention before in comparing the two is the turning radius on the CR01 sucks. What I like about it is because it's so different than the Honcho, I have to drive it different & pick different lines which makes it interesting, not like just driving another SCX10. But, if I were recomending one over the other, I would probably go with the Honcho. especially if it's RTR. Have the fun of Tamiya's are building the kit.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have been enjoying my Honcho
redjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
RCC Addict

The SCX will be the most versatile and has the most parts support in the end. The chassis alone sets it apart.

The CR is a cool kit, but is less user friendly and much more limited.

The AX is a nice choice but geared more toward just crawling.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

If you can get a good deal on the wraith I'd go with it.
Just change to better tires with a bit of weight on the wheels, lower the ride height 1/2" or so, and get a light battery under the nose instead of on the rear deck.

Otherwise I'd go with the SCX10.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

id personaly go with the wraith cause i like good wheel speed with some good crawlability thrown in too!
unknownhero55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
The Tamiya is half as durable as an SCX10, and has about half the crawling ability of one too.
Screw the Tamiya unless you want a shelf queen
I totaly agree, Tamiya CR01 axles are junk.

Anything Axial is good.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
www.ottsix.com

If you're going to ride with a group, either Axial will get you started. The Unimog, which is cool looking, just won't hang.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Ive got wraith, honcho (highly modified). The wraith could be a trail basher..... a crawler...... a sand drag truck. Whatever you want it to be. It doesnt crawl all that good stock. It does jump great. It is balanced good stock.
The honcho can do the same. It depends on what are your expectations for your rig are. Your going to want to modify either one you get....Servo,links tranny gears,tires, motor shocks? springs?. The new ae-2 speed control is decent it works well but has motor limits. If your wanting to tow a boat and trailer stock i would choose the honcho(you could swap the pinion and use it stock), you could change links and if you want change bodys.
I for sure would buy the scx10 or the wraith over others due to parts being easy to get/aftermarket parts .
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

well i ended up picking up an scx10 trail honcho and a wraith.
best of both worlds.
where we crawl is an old rock quarry thats now a swimming quarry so 2 trucks and 2 trailers with my proboat miss geico and venom king of shaves and enough batteries to spend the day

thanx for all the suggestions.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Master Rocksmith...

Where the pics @???
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote