Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd tranny problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rc4wd tranny problems?

Hey guys...

I'm running a rc4wd tranny with stock gears and a HH 35t sport motor with 8 tooth pinion with 2200 3s lipo and i'm not beating on this thing that bad but i've already been thru 3 sets of gears in the past month.recently i just put a new set in the begining ofthe week and just stripped them yesterday just crawling in the back yard

Anyone have this problem?or am i doing something wrong here?
Here's a pic of the one gear that keeps stripping and it's always and only this one gear?

GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Thats crazy I have had 2 different R2's and never had this issue, I am currently running one with a HH 7t puller and not having this problem. Maybe a batch of bad gears, something could have gotten in the metal when they were making the gears.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJeeper1 View Post
Wow! Thats crazy I have had 2 different R2's and never had this issue, I am currently running one with a HH 7t puller and not having this problem. Maybe a batch of bad gears, something could have gotten in the metal when they were making the gears.
Man i don't know?i've been thru 3 sets of gears already

Did you run the stock gears or the HD set?cuz i see rc4wd has a HD set of gears for the R2 and they also have a HD R2 tranny but its alot wider than the reg R2.

This sucks cuz i was dying to do some crawling this holiday weekend with some friends and i have no backup gears or tranny
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

At some point you have to consider the case or a bearing as the culprit. I'm not experienced with the transmission but I've seen poorly machined aluminum or warped plastic transmission cases ruin gears by not holding them in a proper mesh.

It doesn't make sense that 3 different sets would be flawed, if they messed up enough gear sets for you to go through 3 in a row then I'd think there would be a lot of other posts like his up here. Check your bearings and make sure the case is going together right and holding everything tight.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
At some point you have to consider the case or a bearing as the culprit. I'm not experienced with the transmission but I've seen poorly machined aluminum or warped plastic transmission cases ruin gears by not holding them in a proper mesh.

It doesn't make sense that 3 different sets would be flawed, if they messed up enough gear sets for you to go through 3 in a row then I'd think there would be a lot of other posts like his up here. Check your bearings and make sure the case is going together right and holding everything tight.

Thanks man

I actually found a used one in the classified with new gears and bearings so imma try and run that one to see if it is the case?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That sounds like a good idea. If you continue having the same problem, buy an Axial lol
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've had the same issue w/ the R2's that I used in the past, I've completely given up on them. HD gears didn't help either, I was running hand wound 35T's on 3s batteries.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Again i'll say i'm not familiar with that transmission so this may be off but is that motor mount inside the case itself? Meaning the grease for the gears is also on the screws for the motor mount? Well did you think the gear stripping could be because the motor is moving? I've had this happen a lot on transmissions where the motor mount screws and case are not coated in grease, can't imagine it not happening in that thing. When you put your next one together, clean the inside of the case very well and put loctite on the threads and under the head of the screw to stick it inside the threads and stick it to the case. That is realying on my assumption based on a few pics being correct of course!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have owned about 5 or 6 of these trannies and had a couple go bad with the same gear problems, in one the culprit was the bushings on the case had worn out so there was no proper mesh, and the other one was just to much power on the tranny
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
That sounds like a good idea. If you continue having the same problem, buy an Axial lol
I've already thought of that as well...that's actually my next move if this one acts up
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well,i found another R2 tranny in the classifieds with new bearings and gears for cheap,got it home,installed it and....BAM! 2 days later,the gear goes again!???..I don't understand why?the tranny is mounted upside down do to some clearence issues but that should'nt be why and i'm running HH 35t spoert with 2200 3s lipo.

I don't understand this?????
Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I dont have any personal experience but they are kinda known to be weak.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Axial time
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the transmission is probably just junk. Go Axial
Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
RCC Addict

i had that tranny in my Timberwolf, nothing but problems. i contacted RC4WD several times and was told to ad shims finally gave up on it, and the company that was no help whatsoever. they wont get my cash again.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Yeah,think i'm switching over to axial tranny for this rig now,only thing that sucks is i fit and fabed the RC4WD tranny to fit in it now.

Looks like i'll tearing the rig and interior down to refit it for the axial...damnit RC4WD!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

bummer...i bought a used r2 with dig, and other than the previous owner having the dig mounts stripped out (i retapped the holes and used bigger screws/spacers), it works flawlessly for me...so much torque that i removed the 55t lather motor in there and use a stock mabuchi silver can motor, and it works great climbing and crawling...

i was gonna get another one for another project, but you've got me skeptical now...
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyajg View Post
bummer...i bought a used r2 with dig, and other than the previous owner having the dig mounts stripped out (i retapped the holes and used bigger screws/spacers), it works flawlessly for me...so much torque that i removed the 55t lather motor in there and use a stock mabuchi silver can motor, and it works great climbing and crawling...

i was gonna get another one for another project, but you've got me skeptical now...
WOW,really

This is my 4th set of gears...well actually 3 with my original then i bought another full RC4WD tranny and tried that and those gears stripped as well so all in all...4 sets of gears in little over a month

Thats good that yours is running strong,hope it continues.
I was gunna give it 1 more shot but i'm tired of tearingthis rig down to get to the tranny then tearing the tranny down as well

I'm just going to switch to the axial
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well I am happy with my R2 and the guy who owned it before stripped the same gear I replaced it and got back ups and never had the issue yet, ran a 55t novak in it and went way to slow then went to a 7t HH motor and haven't had a issue yet, other then accidentally spraying tranny grease everywhere "which is why I think it got the gears stripped due to heat and dirt getting into it"
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Just as a comparison, my Axial transmission has all plastic gears and in a couple months now has stripped 0 gears. How everything goes together and how the gears are held together really has a lot to do with how long your gears last.