Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: X-Crawler shock mounts - help! Solution needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Default X-Crawler shock mounts - help! Solution needed

Hi folks,

First time I took my new x-crawler build out I knew the shock mounting locations were going to be something I would have to do something about. basically the shocks mount halfway down the lower links on enormous mounts that foul on just about anything.

I've bought some Savage shocks as I read that in other threads as being a potential solution. The trouble is to get the correct ride height I would have to mount these right at the end of the link by the axle. This wouldn't be a problem except the !&$*&$% shock mounts then foul the motors on either side of both axles when articulating!!

I spent time altering the link mounting positons, I even lengthend the low links a bit by exposing some thread, and then moved the shock mounts up a little bit (about 1 inch) to clear the motors. But now the ride height is too high, there is too much articulation and the mounts now foul the tires on full lock... I just cannot see a solution as every which way I turn, there's something in the way, something would be fouled up, etc.

Suffice to say I'm wanting to shoot whoever designed these mounts.

Can anyone suggest a solution using an aftermarket part etc.?

Does anyone make links that are even longer than the x-crawlers e.g. longer than 8 inches?

Thanks
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

No-one?

Well after a lot of messing around I think I may be getting somewhere at least, I've set her up for maximum wheelbase and exposed a bit of thread on all 8 links in the process, but hopefully not too much that we get any incidents. I've bought a metre length of M4 threaded rod though and some thick alu tubing from the hardware store and if there's any problems here, I'm gonna darn well build my own longer links, and I'll learn how to tap threads in the process.

Now have a longer and slightly lower x-crawler, which I don't mind at all, and shock mounts contained within the tyres, which is great.

Only issue now is the truck's now very soft and is over-articulating. Sagging even on standstill. So it looks like super firm Savage springs and more spacers, and maybe some thicker shock oil too.
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote