Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shocks for drop bed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Arrow Shocks for drop bed

I am trying to figure put how to get the most flex out of my truck and i want to measure a way to get the shocks the right height before spending 60.00 on shocks do you guys have any info on how to measure the travel so I know what size to buy beforehand.

Thank Cody
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

get the truck at the desired ride hieght and measure
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

I know how to measure length but I was wondering about travel should I go a little long and just limit it if needed?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

move the rear shocks inboard from axle to mounting point.like upside down V. I know you have seen this on other builds.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

there is no simple answer to a question like this, since there are so many factors involved like can you use all of your compression, do you want the truck to sit as high as possible, how do you like your suspesion to work, etc.

What I typically do is mock up the truck with whatever shocks I have handy without springs on them. Then I can compare those shocks compressed and extended length with how I want the ride height and how I want the suspension to work.
Going to a longer than necessary shock will often limit compression, which in turn makes for a higher sitting and less stable rig.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
there is no simple answer to a question like this, since there are so many factors involved like can you use all of your compression, do you want the truck to sit as high as possible, how do you like your suspesion to work, etc.

What I typically do is mock up the truck with whatever shocks I have handy without springs on them. Then I can compare those shocks compressed and extended length with how I want the ride height and how I want the suspension to work.
Going to a longer than necessary shock will often limit compression, which in turn makes for a higher sitting and less stable rig.

Thanks for your info I have seen the V shape of shocks but I was thinking of mounting outside to the chassis since I am running full leaf...

That being said muddpuppy you have gaven me some good info only problem is I dont have any shocks on hand to refernce to but other than that I see what you are saying I may just use a string and go off those measurements extended and compressed.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
RCC Addict

There are a couple other options, make a bracket to angle your shocks forward or build some cantilevers.

Panda box's OMG build
Project "OMG"

Joker customs Hilux build
**post your hilux body here**

Last edited by neillarson; 09-19-2011 at 07:52 PM.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote