Default Which One

Which design is better for relocating my shocks? and WHY

how do i get More flex???

Shots of the rig and an easy shock relocate bracket
Blue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

I'd say something more like the second one or what I did to my stocker.

Mounting an angle braket to the center is really weak. I first did it like this. After a while the braket starts to bend up and want to flatten out. By incorporating the two stock shock mounting holes it makes it extremely stronger. Use either a flat bar of alum like i did or a piece of angle alum like the second example. This way also lets you adjust how far you want your schocks angled in. You can drill holes all the way across the new mount about 1/4-1/2" apart and then select which holes provide the best compramise between flex and stability. I'd say keep the denter line of the top shock mounts about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" apart, any claoser than that and you lose to much stability and end up flopping over on your side. I've tried everything from stock to having both shocks mounted on one bolt in the center, completely triangulated, and I've found that didtance to work the best. Also with the center mounted braket you have no adjustability so your stuck with the predrilled hioles in the bracket, another reason I changed over to the bracket in the pic. If you want to relocate your front shocks I would recomend this way.

As you can see I had them mounted up in the stock body mount location but I lost too much stability and it performed worse. Mounted like shown fixed that problem and you can still mount the body in the stock location without chopping off half of the gray piece. Just have to trim a litte bit off of the bottom of the gray piece. Since the body is only held on at three points I didn't think it would be smart to cut half of the gray piece off and make that mount weak.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The first...when you inboard the shocks, it makes the chassis sag. if you lower the top mounting point like he did, it will raise the chassis back to the right hight. This makes for a smoother ride and better ride angle.
-Dalton

Last edited by hotrodzach; 05-27-2006 at 03:36 PM.
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodzach
The first...when you inboard the shocks, it makes the chassis sag. if you lower the top mounting point like he did, it will raise the chassis back to the right hight. This makes for a smoother ride and better ride angle.
-Dalton
This can also be accomlished by the way I stated. I started off with a 1-1/2" wide bar of aluminum and cut my piece out of that, but I made it only an inch wide, or tall I guess, because I prefer the dropped ride hight, lower cog. I agree with the idea of lowering the mounting point of the shocks though. On mine I lowered them some but not too much as you can see in the pic. So if you want the stock ride hight use the second method, but get a taller piece of alum so you will get the same result as the first method, just much stronger and much more adjustable.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote