Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: torsion chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default torsion chassis

Alright guys.

I want to do a torsion chassis - HOWEVER the catch is i'm making a totally non comp car.

The car i have designed has the ability to drive upside down at the right way up (just for fun & bashing)

Not i am using Piano wire chassis and mounting the gear box totally centeral.

Now the problem is i want to put some shock absorbers on to take up the spring.

The torsion chassis on their own are too springy and bouncey so i want some dampening.

This will be a hybrid crawler & racer so when goign over the rough stuff at speed itll just bounce all over with no shocks.

Any one got any ideas on how i could put absorbers on (proberbly without springs) but SUPER low profile & will work both directions (likley to be half compressed shocks to allow 50/50 travel)

Thanks

Craig
craigrobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

To get super low profile, could you run conventional shocks at an extreme angle? And if you need to tweak compression and rebound, I remember my XR10 shocks came with some fancy pistons on the plastic tree that changed the compression/rebound ratio. But don't remember details.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
To get super low profile, could you run conventional shocks at an extreme angle? And if you need to tweak compression and rebound, I remember my XR10 shocks came with some fancy pistons on the plastic tree that changed the compression/rebound ratio. But don't remember details.
I was thinking of laying them horizontal however i am not totally sure if this would work (my simple mind cannot seem to grasb the physics of how it would work entirely)

Craig
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would think you just have to pick two points that move the proper distance from each other during chassis flex. On a normal rig a vertical shock would move the most. One at 45 degrees would move less, one mounted horizontal wouldn't move at all.

Another way to get very low profile shocks would be to rig up a bellcrank and now you can run the shock horizontal. The bellcrank is a pivoted angle, kinda like a boomarang or "L". Lower leg controls up and down axle movement and the vertical is attached to a horizontal shock. It pivots at the bend on the chassis or bracket.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I ran a BMVII for about 6 years. Not sure exactly where you could mount some shocks that would actually be usable with that style of chassis. You might be able to use some sort of cantilever style setup, but I still don't know if that would work

Speaking of torsions, I just posted up a build thread of the chassis that is replacing my BMVII. Check it out and let me know what you think.

The Mirage...
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
I ran a BMVII for about 6 years. Not sure exactly where you could mount some shocks that would actually be usable with that style of chassis. You might be able to use some sort of cantilever style setup, but I still don't know if that would work

Speaking of torsions, I just posted up a build thread of the chassis that is replacing my BMVII. Check it out and let me know what you think.

The Mirage...
I cannot really see any shock absorbsion on yours, do tell how you did.

I know this is going to sound incredibly arrogant of me, but crawlers do not interest me in the slightest, however Rock racers & the platform does (hence why i am on here)

Sorry

Craig