Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rig Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rig Question

Well after reading different threads, my question is this... What determines a rock crawler vs scaler, trail rider? Is it the body or type of of tires? Why couldn't someone use a tuber rock crawler and use it as a trail rider? Keep in mind no comps involved? If this belongs in the beginner section I apologize.
Thanks,
-Gary
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
www.ottsix.com

Too many differences to list...check out your local club scale runs and their comps to get a better "hand on" feel for it.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is mainly in the frame/chassi. A comp rig has a very small frame that mainly only covers around the motor and transmission and gives the axles links something to attach to. They do not typically resemble a real 1:1 vehicle. Where as a scaler typically has a more normal full length ladder frame as a full size truck or Jeep does. The suspension travel and tires are typically smaller on scale rigs so that they look and resemble the size ratio of a full size rig. There are exceptions as always and some run as large of a tire on their scalers as any comp rig. Comp rigs are built for all out performance with looks as a usual second consideration and scalers are often built with looks first and compromises made in performance to keep the scale look. But like I mentioned, the lines of this can be blurred and a lot of it comes down to personal taste and creativity.

There are rules for the classes of vehicles in scale and comp. In scale series there will be limits to running only up to a certain size of tire or frame type, etc to keep the rigs scale and not too comp. Just look through the SCX10 section for typical scale rigs and then the XR10 section for typical comp rigs. Not that they are the only ones, but they are very popular and there is a lot to be learned in each section that applies to all rc crawling.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
It is mainly in the frame/chassi. A comp rig has a very small frame that mainly only covers around the motor and transmission and gives the axles links something to attach to. They do not typically resemble a real 1:1 vehicle. Where as a scaler typically has a more normal full length ladder frame as a full size truck or Jeep does. The suspension travel and tires are typically smaller on scale rigs so that they look and resemble the size ratio of a full size rig. There are exceptions as always and some run as large of a tire on their scalers as any comp rig. Comp rigs are built for all out performance with looks as a usual second consideration and scalers are often built with looks first and compromises made in performance to keep the scale look. But like I mentioned, the lines of this can be blurred and a lot of it comes down to personal taste and creativity.

There are rules for the classes of vehicles in scale and comp. In scale series there will be limits to running only up to a certain size of tire or frame type, etc to keep the rigs scale and not too comp. Just look through the SCX10 section for typical scale rigs and then the XR10 section for typical comp rigs. Not that they are the only ones, but they are very popular and there is a lot to be learned in each section that applies to all rc crawling.
Thanks for the detailed response.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
www.ottsix.com

...are you trying to tell us that you've been doing this hobby since 2005 and you didn't know any of this stuff??

Something aint right here
Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

After researching I finally purchased my first rig last week. Yes, after all this time.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
www.ottsix.com

Well, I stand corrected. Welcome to the hobby.