Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wondering about 4WS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Wondering about 4WS?

I have a G made r1 I have a mamba max pro, and a futaba radio and receiver, I have the 4ws kit and another servo but no I need to make all of them work together, I talked to ckrc and the said I need to upgrade my radio to a MT-4 but that cost 269.00. My question to all is there a cheaper route that I can take but still have the ability to control my back steering servo in dependably from my front? (The radio that I have right now only has a 2 position switch for the 3 channel and I don’t think I can do it with that radio.)

Last edited by Gmader1; 01-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Gmader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wondering about 4WS?

you could get a hold of a vendor here named heyok, he sells adapters to make your 2 pos switch act like a 3pos. and PS don't post your words in black i had to highlight everything to read it, leave them white as its easily readable
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Hacked GT3B from LosiKid would be the cheapest radio that would be capable of mixing the 4ws. I believe they are under $100 and extra receivers are under $10 rather than the $50 or so for the major brand receivers.

There are several routes you can go down with 4ws, I will list them and what it will take to accomplish them.

The first is full time 4ws. To do this all you need is a reversed servo y cable. Plug one servo in one end, the other into the other end and you are good to go. This will make it so that the tires turn opposite one another AT ALL TIMES.

The second would be using a simple 3 position switch to control the rear steering. You would need a radio with a 3 position 3rd channel (there are a lot search will find you some). The rear will be independent from the front but you will only have all the way left or all the way right. I ran this for fun on my MRC for a while and it actually worked well, much better in my opinion than the Y harness method from above.

There are some adapters that will alow you to mix on the fly. They plug into the servos and the RX and it does the mixing in the truck. You get the mixing but you still need a 3 position 3rd channel.

The best method would be to purchase a radio with the correct mixing capabilities. Aside from the GT3B (hacked) there are the Futabe 4pl and 4pk(s) as well as the MT-4 you mentioned. I believe the cheapest out of those (other than the GT3b) is the 4pl at right around $200. This method will allow you to swap between crab walk, locked out rear, rear only, and straight up 4ws as you please and the rear will follow the front as in if you turn 1/2 way the rear will only turn 1/2 way.

I think that is about it.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

just take the radio apart if there is 3 wires going to the 2 poition switch you can replace the swich with a 3 position switch, if not you can get a traxxas radio & reciever for arond $50 and replace the 2 position with a 3 position, i like the traxxas radio because you can mod it a couple different ways, the radio im using is i have a 3 position 3rd channel and 2 position 4th & 5th channel, if you have any questions on this pm me
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Spectrum dx3e three channel does either full left or full right and goes back to center. Or linear mode you get proportional steering but it doesn't return to center on its own. Nice radio around 100.
carried away is offline   Reply With Quote

Wondering about 4WS? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just wondering 671_oners Axial SCX-10 3 11-25-2010 01:49 AM
Wondering if anyone was going to this? boisetrucker Pennsylvania 0 02-14-2009 01:09 PM
im wondering breitenbach14 Tires and Wheels 6 04-30-2008 05:23 PM
just wondering.. razor rc General Crawlers 3 01-22-2008 11:39 PM
I was just wondering MaxxZilla Traxxas Crawlers 2 02-15-2004 02:13 AM