Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stick #2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
[HOONIGAN]

Default Stick #2

I just thought I'd throw out a little teaser.
Let's just say it's better than the first one, has more ground clearence, weights 10lbs, and yes............it has Moab XL's.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

looking forward to seeing it.....
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yeah, sounds cool...now get to work.
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodzach
yeah, sounds cool...now get to work.
-Dalton
x2, post picks soon
zpmps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
[HOONIGAN]

Well, it's pretty much done. Will post pics tonight after I take it out.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
[HOONIGAN]

Took it out tonight, and all I can say is WOW!!!! These tires are incredible. No other mod can even come close to the difference that these tires made. I was blown away at what this thing was climbing up, nearly vertical slick rock. I ran it once with the modded nylint tires and it couldn't do anything, still a heck of alot more than the other stockish nylints were doing, but nothing compared to what the Moabs were doing. But I forgot the camera so no action shots yet, oops! Next time though, I can't wait to take it out again.

Last edited by Wrecker; 06-27-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looks awesome, how did you get the tires to fit?
rydinhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydinhigh
Looks awesome, how did you get the tires to fit?
Cut 1/2" off the end of a 10mm deep socket and welded a 3/8" nut to the end of it. Slid that on the axle and then the nut fits the maxx size hex perfect, then just used the stock bolts to bolt it all together.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Since I don't have access to a welder or the skills to weld would you be interested in making another set? I would gladly pay you for the materials and your time.
rydinhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydinhigh
Since I don't have access to a welder or the skills to weld would you be interested in making another set? I would gladly pay you for the materials and your time.
PM sent.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have been thinking about putting some moabs on my aluminum chassis crawler, but have to save up some money before i can afford it. I love the look that it gives your crawler. If i remember right these tires are about .4 inches bigger than the stock nylint tires, do you think that I could get up straight waterfall crawls better without shaving the rear axle, or do they squish too much?
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I have been thinking about putting some moabs on my aluminum chassis crawler, but have to save up some money before i can afford it. I love the look that it gives your crawler. If i remember right these tires are about .4 inches bigger than the stock nylint tires, do you think that I could get up straight waterfall crawls better without shaving the rear axle, or do they squish too much?
No matter what you do shave the rear axle, that thing is an anchor! I would shave that axle asap personally. As far as the tires being too squishy, you can control that by how you cut the foams. If you just leave the foams stock then the tires are pretty firm, no foams at all and the weight of the rim alone completely flattens the tire. So basically you can get anything in between depending on how much or how little foam you cut off. I did the traditional 8 star pattern cut and they are pretty squishy even with it only weighing around 10 lbs. I think they are about perfect for my rig. They wrap around everything and won't slip, it's just incredible!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

how much
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
No matter what you do shave the rear axle, that thing is an anchor!
Hell yeah! I just shaved mine and the difference is night and day! It was so much easier than people have made it out to be. I think I actually did it faster than the TT, and both my high and low still work. By far the most crucial mod I've made so far.
289YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #17
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex
how much
How much for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289YJ
Hell yeah! I just shaved mine and the difference is night and day! It was so much easier than people have made it out to be. I think I actually did it faster than the TT, and both my high and low still work. By far the most crucial mod I've made so far.
Ya, the axle shave is way easy, took me less than an hour, granted it's the third one I've done so I've got them dialed. I decided to keep the high range in this one also. I took it out of the first stick for even more clearence but I decided that crazy decents in high gear were way more fun!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

sounds like I will be doing an axle shave pretty soon. I just want it to look clean, not all of this hotglued motor to axle housing and zipties. I am also thinking about doing a front dig setup instead of having high and low gear. high gear is nice from obstacle to obstacle but I can also just pick it up and move it.

If you have the means to make one, I would realy like to see a video of the tires and the stick in action. This looks like a great truck.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
sounds like I will be doing an axle shave pretty soon. I just want it to look clean, not all of this hotglued motor to axle housing and zipties. I am also thinking about doing a front dig setup instead of having high and low gear. high gear is nice from obstacle to obstacle but I can also just pick it up and move it.

If you have the means to make one, I would realy like to see a video of the tires and the stick in action. This looks like a great truck.
I highly doubt a front dig set up will work. With my last stick the rear axle was locked in low and the front axle could still go into high, so I thought I would be able to switch it into high gear and have the front axle spin around since the rear was moving alot slower, nope! It just draged the back end around and would really not turn at all. But maybe if the rear was not moving at all it would work better, either way I don't think the stock nylint tires can get enough traction to hold the car while the front spins around. Maybe if you had some moabs you could get enough traction but then you'd prolly explode the axles. But go ahead and try it out cause if it works that would be awesome, these things need something to help the horendus turning radius. I'll try and take some pics of my axle shave, it is way clean looking, no hot glue or zip ties, just one hose clamp and the wires go into a hole in the top of the axle so they don't show for very long. Now I just need to figure out how to get my filler panel to stay on the front of the axle, it is way clean looking!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

what i was going to do for the front dig was have a new switch in place of the old high gear switch in the rear axle that cuts off power to the rear motor while the front still stays in low. This would in theory lock the rear axle since both it and the front axle will be locked in low, while the front axle pulls the truck around still in low gear.

this is TwistedXT's front dig setup by the way.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-28-2006 at 11:06 AM.