Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thunder Tiger Crawler Transmission Gear Mesh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #1

Default Thunder Tiger Crawler Transmission Gear Mesh

Hello everyone,

I'm a heli pilot-turned crawler fan and am in need of some advice. While my experience in gears applies to larger scale helis, its not so good for this.

I recently bought the Thunder Tiger Crawler and after extensive searching (bing, google, etc., even asking on my heli forum) I can't find the answer I am looking for.

Problem: When I drive, sometimes there would be a clicking sound, like gears slipping. It especially occurs when I am encountering any level of resistance when pillow-climbing. As I have only driven the crawler for a literal few minutes, any damage to the gears I hope is minimal as I quit the moment it happens. It sounds like its coming from the transmission.

Solution: After reading the manual it mentions adjusting the gear mesh. However, it doesn't specify how to go about it. Does anyone here have any experience it reducing this issue, rebuilding the trans to function better, gear mesh adjustment, etc.?

Here's a link to the model I have:

Thunder Tiger CORP. -- TIGERÂ*CRAWLERÂ*2.4GÂ*S.C NO.6543-F

Its nothing fancy, and please don't give advice like 'buy something better'. I bought this purposefully to modify it. I'm a 'tweaker' and have to modify it, its in my blood. I just need to get a jump start on the specifics of this matter.
celticveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Thunder Tiger Crawler Transmission Gear Mesh

Sounds like its probably the slipper clutch doing its job. Might just need to tighten it up some...

Didn't know TT even made a crawler...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

They used to, at least, in 2008. I think its discontinued now. But its tiny and fun, and perfect for a small barracks room like mine.

I'll have to see if it has a slipper clutch. I don't see one in the schematics.

http://mms.tiger.tw/upload/upload_fi...anJD7342V2.pdf

Here's the manual (schematics included for complete build, plus exploded diagram which hurts my mind)

::EDIT:: I found the faulty piece:

Its a gear thats not even on the schematic...the schematic only shows three gears, I have 4, and the schematics shows a cross piece (axle of sorts) that I lack... this gear is where the axle should be, you can see the spot where the axle mounts to either side of the trans box, and the gear has a hole in the center same size. Therefore I deduce the axle is supposed to run across, with gear mounted to it.

Without the axle the gear has a small amount of play, enough to cause it to shift just enough to buzz under minor stress and cause the truck to not move. Now...I need to figure out how to make a new shaft. I can do it, just need to get the right piece and trim it down to fit. Could I use a plastic shaft or would metal be better? Also the trans box has a thick grease in it. What kind of grease should I use (or oil)?

Last edited by celticveil; 03-06-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

I got it to work...

I had to trim a metal screw driver shaft which was perfect diameter to fit, file it down and polish it a bit, but it works perfectly! Now this lil' truck pulls without stalling and has a lot of power behind it where it didn't before. I feel accomplished.

Thunder Tiger Crawler Transmission Gear Mesh - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger crawler 4XADICT General Crawlers 16 06-07-2012 07:38 AM
Thunder Tiger 1/18 Crawler Skeeno General Crawlers 5 02-17-2011 08:58 PM
thunder tiger mini titan ah-1w ROLANDROCKSHOP Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2010 01:17 PM
Thunder Tiger Build IHCrawler Newbie General 0 07-27-2006 11:04 PM
Thunder Tiger Silver Fox mt_power Chit Chat 7 06-28-2006 12:18 PM