Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Why not give Red Cat Racing a chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Why not give Red Cat Racing a chance?

As the title suggests, why not give the Ground Pounder from Red Cat Racing a chance at being a decent crawler?
I would like to get into crawling, and I like the challenge of building cars from custom and fabricated parts. I have been in the hobby for almost three years now and most of that have been with on road touring cars. I have had an E-Maxx, which was a blast, two 4x4 Slash trucks and liked them but felt they were better suited for a prepared course, and I still own a Red Racing Volcano SV 30.
Admittedly, the quality of Red Cat's vehicles can be hit or miss. To be honesty, I was impressed with the quality of the driveline of my truck considering I bought it used. Since then, it has been converted to electric with a Traxxas Velineon 3,500kV brushless motor and Mamba Max ESC.

The reason I'm considering the Ground Pounder is mainly due to its chassis construction. Its CNC milled aluminum, with four link suspension and solid axles. Its set up with 4WS, and overall seems to be constructed well for the price of $219.00 as an RTR from R U Faster: Ground Pounder. It was reviewed on this forum by HawnMT from Hawaii: HawnMT's Redcat Ground Pounder by CPE Review.

My plan is to cut down the side plates of the chassis to reduce some weight and top heaviness, replace the trans with an E-Maxx two speed, and run 2.2 crawler wheels and tires. There will be more, but this is the general plan as of now.

The main reason I'm posting this is that I am looking for the advice of those who are experienced with custom fabrication. I know for a little more I could buy the Crawler King as an RTR, or an SCX 10 or a Wraith, but I would like to build something unique. Thanks for the advice from the knowledgeable members of this forum in advance!
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Why not give Red Cat Racing a chance?

My biggest worry with buying something like that is the availability of parts. If you break something (bound to happen at some point) can you get parts to fix it?

Why not buy some axles and build whatever you want with them?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
My biggest worry with buying something like that is the availability of parts. If you break something (bound to happen at some point) can you get parts to fix it?

Redcat has pretty good support. direct replacement should not be a problem...

Besides its not like axial always has the parts on the market when they are needed either..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

While I like the Ground Pounder as a monster truck I'm not sure the platform is the best as a crawler. The drivetrain internals have proven to be very very strong even under relatively high brushless power(since the truck is so light 4600kv is a lot of power for it). It's the extrnal parts that gives problems, like the axle housings, transmission/motor mount setup(which you will avoid with the Traxxas trans), ball ends(which stretch easily and never return to shape), as well as some other more minor problems. Oh yeah, the chassis plates are very thin so they bend easy.

I've overcome a lot of those problems by either adding bracing or by getting/keeping the truck light. The getting light part is what worries me as a crawler. You're probably going to be adding more weight and therefore stressing those weakpoints more. Could it be done, probably, but you're going to have to go through a learning curve.

I would suggest trying out the Mad Gear Cliff available from NitroRC:

1/10 Rock Crawler

They are half the price of a GP and use a lot of the same parts as the GP. The axles are narrower and the way they locked the diff isn't the best but it's a cheaper way to experiment.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
As the title suggests, why not give the Ground Pounder from Red Cat Racing a chance at being a decent crawler?
I would like to get into crawling, and I like the challenge of building cars from custom and fabricated parts. I have been in the hobby for almost three years now and most of that have been with on road touring cars. I have had an E-Maxx, which was a blast, two 4x4 Slash trucks and liked them but felt they were better suited for a prepared course, and I still own a Red Racing Volcano SV 30.
Admittedly, the quality of Red Cat's vehicles can be hit or miss. To be honesty, I was impressed with the quality of the driveline of my truck considering I bought it used. Since then, it has been converted to electric with a Traxxas Velineon 3,500kV brushless motor and Mamba Max ESC.

The reason I'm considering the Ground Pounder is mainly due to its chassis construction. Its CNC milled aluminum, with four link suspension and solid axles. Its set up with 4WS, and overall seems to be constructed well for the price of $219.00 as an RTR from R U Faster: Ground Pounder. It was reviewed on this forum by HawnMT from Hawaii: HawnMT's Redcat Ground Pounder by CPE Review.

My plan is to cut down the side plates of the chassis to reduce some weight and top heaviness, replace the trans with an E-Maxx two speed, and run 2.2 crawler wheels and tires. There will be more, but this is the general plan as of now.

The main reason I'm posting this is that I am looking for the advice of those who are experienced with custom fabrication. I know for a little more I could buy the Crawler King as an RTR, or an SCX 10 or a Wraith, but I would like to build something unique. Thanks for the advice from the knowledgeable members of this forum in advance!
Need more info.

If you're talking a competition Crawler. Don't waste your time and money. Go bully/Berg/xr10/lcc.

If you are just talking a trail truck/Crawler mess around truck. Then build what you want, learn from it and enjoy. Although an scx10 would be better suited for this.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post

I considered that at first. My decision to buy a whole truck is based on getting a chassis to start with, something to use a template for measurements if necessary.

And as sloppy mentioned, they do have decent parts support for their vehicles through their main U.S. web site and R U Faster.com.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
While I like the Ground Pounder as a monster truck I'm not sure the platform is the best as a crawler. The drivetrain internals have proven to be very very strong even under relatively high brushless power(since the truck is so light 4600kv is a lot of power for it). It's the extrnal parts that gives problems, like the axle housings, transmission/motor mount setup(which you will avoid with the Traxxas trans), ball ends(which stretch easily and never return to shape), as well as some other more minor problems. Oh yeah, the chassis plates are very thin so they bend easy.

I've overcome a lot of those problems by either adding bracing or by getting/keeping the truck light. The getting light part is what worries me as a crawler. You're probably going to be adding more weight and therefore stressing those weakpoints more. Could it be done, probably, but you're going to have to go through a learning curve.

I would suggest trying out the Mad Gear Cliff available from NitroRC:

1/10 Rock Crawler

They are half the price of a GP and use a lot of the same parts as the GP. The axles are narrower and the way they locked the diff isn't the best but it's a cheaper way to experiment.
Thanks for your input on this, since I referenced your review of the GP in my first post. It was your review that got me interested in the truck, and from there I started to think of it as a decent starting point for a crawler. I know Red Cat has two other trucks that are purpose built crawlers, but they have motors on the axles and that isn't something I want. It may be better for weight distribution, but I want to build something that is somewhat realistic looking and truck with driveshafts to a center transmission is what I am looking for.

I appreciate the link to Nitro RCX. Their trucks look like a great thing to get for the price. I'll definitely check them out.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Need more info.

If you're talking a competition Crawler. Don't waste your time and money. Go bully/Berg/xr10/lcc.

If you are just talking a trail truck/Crawler mess around truck. Then build what you want, learn from it and enjoy. Although an scx10 would be better suited for this.
To answer your question of my intent I am not building it to be a competition truck, just something to mess around with. I have been reading quite a bit on this forum and want to get into crawling because it seems technical and challenging.

I have custom built on road cars and parts for them in a similar process, starting with a car that is relatively low end and modifying it to make it better. That's the idea behind considering the Ground Pounder. I am still in the planning phase of this, so I still have time to research other trucks until I get the money to actually do this.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

one thing i will say about Redcat is there customer service is excellent!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #10

Why NOT??? Because the poor man pays twice.
bamr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamr33 View Post
Why NOT??? Because the poor man pays twice.
I'm starting to see that. To be honest, if I were to build a 2.2 crawler based on the Ground Pounder chassis I would have more invested in parts than what something like this would be worth to build. I hate to consent defeat, but the Wraith kit version is starting to look like a feasible solution.
Just exploring options, and not going with the proven and reliable method.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Typically doing stuff outside the box and against what most do with what works is more about pride than coin savings. It'll cost you time and money to do scratch built stuff, not that its meant to be derogatory, thats just the way it is.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your opinion, Meatwad. I am familiar with the cost of custom built projects, I have modified on road cars in the past to make them "better" in theory but not in actuality. It does go against what is proven to work whenever I design and build my own parts. I like the challenge of it, but there have been cases where I have had to put the stock parts back on because they work properly.

I started this thread with the intent of getting feedback from this forum and to discuss different ideas. By no means do I want this discussion to end. I must confess though, I bought the SCX 10 yesterday and love it! It was every bit as capable and fun to drive as what I had been reading about it. To be honest, I don't think I could have built a truck that performs as well as the SCX 10. Not to say it would be impossible, it would just take a lot of trial and error. I might look at scratch building a crawler in the future, and the Ground Pounder would still be a decent truck to have if left in its original form as a monster truck.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

actually, if you want a crawler based off of a redcat GRound Pounder, pick up an Exceed Mad Gear Cliff. 1/10 Mad Gear RC Cliff 2.4Ghz R/C Ready to Run RTR Rock Crawler (Green)

here is my thread about it, i am going to update it in a day or so, i have done some changes to it from stock
my Exceed Mad-Gear Cliff 2.2 basher/eventual sportsman rig

i just got one a couple of weeks ago, and i have been beating the hell out of it, and the only issues i have had with it is the screws they used on it. exceed used really cheap screws that like to strip out fairly easily, but if you have your own decent screws, you can just replace them as you work on it with your own screws.

as far as the quality of it being an exceed, i am not worried. parts are relatively easy to come acrosson nitrorcx's website. and to be honest, since exceed and redcat are both inexpensive chinese brands, it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that the axles and tranny were sourced from the same vendor for each company.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
actually, if you want a crawler based off of a redcat GRound Pounder, pick up an Exceed Mad Gear Cliff. 1/10 Mad Gear RC Cliff 2.4Ghz R/C Ready to Run RTR Rock Crawler (Green)

here is my thread about it, i am going to update it in a day or so, i have done some changes to it from stock
my Exceed Mad-Gear Cliff 2.2 basher/eventual sportsman rig

i just got one a couple of weeks ago, and i have been beating the hell out of it, and the only issues i have had with it is the screws they used on it. exceed used really cheap screws that like to strip out fairly easily, but if you have your own decent screws, you can just replace them as you work on it with your own screws.

as far as the quality of it being an exceed, i am not worried. parts are relatively easy to come acrosson nitrorcx's website. and to be honest, since exceed and redcat are both inexpensive chinese brands, it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that the axles and tranny were sourced from the same vendor for each company.
Thanks for the link. HawnMT posted a link to the Max Stone 10, which looks like a similar truck. These look like they built fairly well for the price. The main reason I didn't take it any more seriously was a video that was posted that demonstrated the extreme amount of torque twist this truck has.
Maxstone 10 Rock Crawler by Exceed RC - YouTube

I'll read your thread on how you dealt with that issue. I would say you're right in saying the drivelines of both brands are from the same source. If I remember correctly, I read that all Red Cat, Exceed, and Hirsomo? vehicles are made by HSP.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
RCC Addict

theyre alot of upgraDes for the Redcat rs10 why not try the rs10
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post

Thanks for the link. HawnMT posted a link to the Max Stone 10, which looks like a similar truck. .
Actually my link was to the 1/10 crawler section on NitroRCX but I meant the Mad Gear Cliff that Steel City is talking about. I used the general link since there are different colors for the Cliff.

One good thing about the Mad Gear Cliff/ Redcat Ground Pounder is that they come stock with an axle ratio of 3.3 to 1 which is the underdrive ratio for Axial axles. That low gearing means you have a better chance of controlling torque twist.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRS10 View Post
theyre alot of upgraDes for the Redcat rs10 why not try the rs10
To be honest PhantonRS10, I don't like how MOA trucks look. This is trivial at best, but I like the appearance of live axles, driveshafts, and transfer cases. The RS 10 seems like it would be a good truck for the price. From what I have read on this forum it is a capable chassis, and I have seen videos of it action and it does really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
Actually my link was to the 1/10 crawler section on NitroRCX but I meant the Mad Gear Cliff that Steel City is talking about. I used the general link since there are different colors for the Cliff.

One good thing about the Mad Gear Cliff/ Redcat Ground Pounder is that they come stock with an axle ratio of 3.3 to 1 which is the underdrive ratio for Axial axles. That low gearing means you have a better chance of controlling torque twist.
Thanks for clarifying this, HawnMT. When I was on the main NitroRCX page I sort of glanced at the Mad Gear Cliff. I've gone back and looked at it in more depth and read Steel City Crawler's thread and see the similarities of that chassis with the Ground Pounder. I know this isn't a direct comparison, but from what I have seen and read about the GP torque twist doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. I'm sure the axle gearing helps with that. Its still a truck I'm interested in, so in the future I'll order one and give it a go.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
RCC Addict

yeah, i have yet to see any signs of torque twist with my MGC. if you do pick one up, however, make sure you have your own decent screws on hand, because when you tune it, and take it apart for various reasons, you learn that the screws they used flat out S-U-C-K!!! so far, anytime i have had to take out more than 2, maybe 3 of the factory screws, i ended up stripping at least one of them.

but, i am not going to let that be a detractor to anyone insterested in the MGC. with a bit of tuning, i actually plan on using it as my sportsman rig this summer/fall. or i may make an FOFF rig with it... or with it being as versitile as it is, i am even considering getting one of Crawford Performance Engineering's GP racing monster truck chassis for this.

actually, hawn, i was kind of wondering, what spur gears fit this tranny? i want to do some gearing, but i have no clue as to what pitch is included from the factory. from what i am seeing, it looks to be a pretty standard spur gear, right?

Last edited by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER; 04-17-2012 at 11:23 PM.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post

actually, hawn, i was kind of wondering, what spur gears fit this tranny? i want to do some gearing, but i have no clue as to what pitch is included from the factory. from what i am seeing, it looks to be a pretty standard spur gear, right?

Stock it's 48 pitch but I rigged my GP to run a 32 pitch 48 tooth spur, but to do it I eliminated the slipper.

Why not give Red Cat Racing a chance? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Cat Super Crawler dustin keeler General Crawlers 10 02-15-2011 08:53 PM
hoped- up red cat rs-10 pics cvona General Crawlers 7 08-20-2009 12:25 PM
Red Cat racing 1/8 BL short course truck InFlames Non Crawler RC's 11 07-22-2009 12:14 PM
Red Cat CHEETAHRON General Crawlers 15 06-10-2009 11:41 PM