Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: one link w/ panhard bar...??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default one link w/ panhard bar...??

im building a txt tuber and was wondering if anyone has done a 1 link with a panhard bar? i have it rigged up, but the weak spot in it is the traxxas ball ends... they flex. Has anyone ever tried this with any sucess? Thanks

Johnathan
johnathanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have seen 1:1 rigs with this setup, using trailer balls and hitches! I have yet to see one here. I say go for it, you can use Maxx steering balls which should be stout enough for the link, and the regular links for the trac-bar. They should hold up to that.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
MODERATOR™

Didn't Cole82 do a 1 link Panharder?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Someone did one on a clod. I copied the design using nylint axles. I used some 3/8" OVERKILL heims I had laying around. It turned out to be too heavy but worked great as far as suspension travel is concerned. I'd say check mcmaster or somewhere and definitely use a good metal heim on the 1-link, maybe the panhard as well.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaclodking
I have seen 1:1 rigs with this setup, using trailer balls and hitches! I have yet to see one here. I say go for it, you can use Maxx steering balls which should be stout enough for the link, and the regular links for the trac-bar. They should hold up to that.
yeah this is where i got the idea from. i have a jeep outside in my driveway awaiting some rockwells and i was thinkin 1 link with a panhard bar for them. but i wouldnt use the hitch and ball method... ide actually make the links and stuff.

Im going to look around for some small stout heims and a goooood way to displace the force over the axle. i think if i just have the heims bolted to the axle the housing may crack where they are connected due to stress this design puts on the axles. i think i have something that will work though, i just gotta figure out a way to make the heim NOT move at all on the axle.

I made the panhard bar out of a steering link, and it worked out well. I will probally just use it unless the new link design doesnt work.

Thanks for the input and i will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yep I made one it worked pretty dam good. Some of the other members on here saw it perform too. It was neat just watching it do it's thing.
Simple Clod 2
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Cole, that's the one I copied, great design.

In 1:1 1-links they make a wishbone like link. You could do similar. Run links from the big heim to atleast 4 places, where'd you would normally attach a 4-link. Then braze or solder all those links together. Even plate the bottom. 4 small RC rodends should be strong enough and shouldn't put undu stress on the axle housing since it sees 4 mounting points in a normal 4-link. It's a good thing you're using the TXT axles, it will move the driveshaft up and above the 1-link. They work better in 1:1 with rockwells than normal axles.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

One thing to be warry of is all the anti squat it will give. I don't know how it will affect an RC car but on a 1:1 rig they give quite a bit of anti sqaut so I would think it would make some wicked tourqe steer on the txt. The clod I'm sure is more ideal becasue it can't get tourqe steer due to motors on axles.
I really don't know though how it would affect an RC so I say go for it.
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I didn't mention the AS aspect casue I see many RCs on here with the upper and lower links mounted on a common bolt, which would give you the exact same AS number as the 1-link. I've mentioned this before though, many things seem to work in the RC world that would be a disaster in 1:1. Like buggy leafs and no tracbar.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanlopez
im building a txt tuber and was wondering if anyone has done a 1 link with a panhard bar? i have it rigged up, but the weak spot in it is the traxxas ball ends... they flex. Has anyone ever tried this with any sucess? Thanks

Johnathan
yeah, the traxxas ball ends are garbage for anything heavier than a TLT, in my opinion. you could use RC4WD aluminum ball ends(mine are threaded for 3mm, you can get them in different thread sizes) or those fat 10mm ball ends made by g-made.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

thanks greg, ill check them out now... !
Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

I don't like the 1 link deal,but if you do it,you'll need a heavy duty ball end. I was running some rod ends made by Dura Traxx that would be up to the task. They accept #10 all thread for the link side and are mounted up to the chassis with a #8 bolt. VERY burly rod end in my book.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote