Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: CEN-based crawler build - "King Bling"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CEN-based crawler build - "King Bling"

I decided to finally post some pics of my super project. The suspension is in development and I don't like how it is right now but I have an idea what to do to improve it. But the forced articulation 3-piece swivel chassis and "cutting brake" concept might not work well together because of the required width and weight. I am pushing the scales to maybe 12 lbs with everything I have! After chassis lightening and suspension redesign I hope to shed a pound though. The drivetrain is stout hardened steel everywhere except the sliders which are 11/16" plastic - I hope they are the "fuse". I have done all the design and work myself but I had some help from a machinist friend on the axle housings. This project is more of an experiment than it is a comp crawler. It looks like a crazy cyborg or something when there is a translucent body on it!

Parts list:
CEN Nemesis diffs (locked), sliders, turnbuckles, & axles with the stock 23mm hex's.
CEN Matrix center diff (open) with truggy 64t spur & brake set-up modified for independent brake actuation.
Revolver with 3.8:1 planetary & Mod1 pitch 11t pinion.
Mamba 25 (may upgrade to Mamba Max or Monster).
2 Scorpion 2000 lipos.
Hitec 5645mg digis for steering & 6985hb for brakes.
Hitec Optic 6 radio.
Revo shocks.
HPI BMW 190mm body.

I still need a voltage regulator of some sort - I am thinking about a Smart-Fly Power Expander to maintain torque to all servos and the motor at the same time.
Alright, check it out!
Name:  KingBling 001.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  KingBling 002.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  KingBling 006.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  KingBling 008.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  KingBling 007.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  26.4 KB
Like I said, it's an experiment so don't be too harsh!
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

That is definitely unusual, but very cool. What keeps the center section from pivoting?
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaclodking
That is definitely unusual, but very cool. What keeps the center section from pivoting?
Thanks. I had planned on mounting the Revo shocks directly above the driveshafts near the buggy tranny - I think I would have only needed two shocks to control the ride height and to keep things level. After cycling the suspension the way it is now though I am not satisfied with it. So I need to redesign some stuff to smooth it out. I'm a grand in so it better work!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That's one crazy setup, man. Definitely different.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Interesting man! I really like the design. What are you thinking of changing, ditching the cutting brakes? It would be easier to play with one design at a time for sure.

How do you have the center diff setup?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Interesting man! I really like the design. What are you thinking of changing, ditching the cutting brakes? It would be easier to play with one design at a time for sure.

How do you have the center diff setup?
Thanks JRH. I don't want to give up on the chassis OR the cutting brakes just yet. I think I can still make it all work together! I have decided to take my time on this though and start a simple TLT project so I don't go crazy! So, the Revolver, Mamba, and Lipos are going into a K2-TLT with a (non-digi) 645MG servo and Berg rx. Would I be able to run this light little setup with a lipo and NO regulator? I'm sure your going to recommend the MPI regulator for $20 - right?! Anyway, all this means I will be in the market for another motor and a better suited esc for the super, so I will be in touch with you on that! That reminds me... Have you come up with any ideas on the wiring and regulator nightmare I sucked you into over the last month? I'm leaning toward using the Power Expander if it will take care of the voltage AND still keep mass power to all the electronics while under full load.

As for the diff setup... it's open and the stock grease is in there for now. I haven't been able to experiment with that too much but it is pretty smooth and tight as it sits!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you are willing to give up the 645mg, run it at full lipo voltage. I know the berg receivers should take it with minimum glitching. On such a tiny rig I cant see it smoking unless you dont adjust your EPA's or something. Watch the heat on the case, and give the rig a rest if it gets too hot.

I would still recommend the mpi regulator otherwise They have worked very well for me, and the harness nightmare isnt too bad. You could always use the Power Expander in its place if you would prefer a single unit for all wiring.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, thats the kind of rig im into - one with gizmoiness! Your rig is very nice-looking. I like the machining on it. It looks great!
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the compliments and tips, fellars! There are some bugs and flaws to work out but I don't think it is too bad for such a complicated first build! Here are some pics of a dissected axle and the center section of the chassis.
Name:  KingBling 009.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  41.5 KB

That axle shaft is 8mm hardened steel with 23mm hex - SWEET!Name:  KingBling 010.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  KingBling 011.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  29.4 KB

I need a better camera! Damn!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

DROOL
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Wow i just remember seeing this back in 2006,
ANY UPDATES?
how did the revolver work out for ya?
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

it really looks incredible, never seen a design like that, I think i can understand how it works and its pretty clever, would love to see it in action with a good view of the artculation..

keep it up
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

WOW, you did some digging to find this one! I have a serious problem coming up with ideas and never finishing the projects that come from them. I still have all the parts for this rig stored together, but the Revolver was put into my K2-3S VehiCROSS scaler which is also incomplete. :-( The Revolver was herky jerky but I don't totally know what I am doing when it comes to electronics...
What stopped this rig in it's tracks was when I tried to install the lockers - I cannot get the diffs apart cuz CEN used red locktite on the tiny screws that keep them together. I boiled it, used a torch on it, tried everything I could think of to no avail. I have to order new parts to get it locked and this monster was already way too expensive, so I moved on for now. My WK tuber is the rig I want to finish the most - another take on forced articulation. Thanks for the flashback!