Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Finally built a 1:6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Finally built a 1:6

Alright, here it is. Went with the stick design after seeing how well it works on the 1:6's. Easy to build too. She's not quite done, I still have to mount the elec's in a box, block off the rear axle where I moved the motor, mount the body, and little stuff like wire loom to clean it up. I did a few things different than some of the others on here, and I also made my own wheel adapters.

TECH:
relocated rear motor
F&F battery
moab XL's
wheels narrowed to 2 1/4"
Star cut foams with a groove cut down the center on the fronts to help
steer
17 1/2" wheelbase
gen 4 axles
O ring mods (although I think I need one on my steering too... slipping!)

The wheel adapters...

And the rig...

I will try to get some action shots when I get it finished up, and maybe some vid.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

nice
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

looks really good. How did u go about cutting those blue center pieces. I think i wanna make a stick now cuz of how good the rest of them look.
kawicrazed_125_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That is a nice looking nylint man. I really didn't like them until people started making stick nylints. I am actually considering picking up a 1:6 and building a stick. Helluva lot cheaper than a TLT or Clod...
kerosinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #5

how did u make those wheel adapters.
butcher the nylint stocker?

loving it!
how much the new wheels run ya?
rbryant4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I like it, and I dont normally like sticks
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i want some of those wheel adapters.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Most excellant!

Nice, simple, clean.

No wire ties, glue, silicone, wood screws..............

Shock mounts are great.

I gotta do one like that.
BarCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks Good
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #10

why is the shocks only on one side?
rbryant4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

It's called a torsion stick
CLODZIRRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments guys, i'm having fun with it. Need to block off that rear axle case before it gets dirt in it. Maybe too late, my front axle quit pulling in high or low range so I need to find out what happened. I changed the O ring so maybe I got something wrong. The front motor is still spinning, just no movement in the axle. Prolly something simple.

As for the adapters, pretty simple to make, if you have access to a drill press. I went to wal mart and bought one of those white plastic cutting boards, the plastic is soft enough not to shatter, but shouldn't strip out.
I also bought a bolt with a 14mm head and a long bolt with a 10mm head.
Take the 14mm bolt and trace the head onto the cutting board 4 times, so you have four 14mm hexes drawn on the board. Now, find center of the hexes by drawing lines accross the hex from point to point. the lines should all cross in the center of the hex. Now center punch that point and drill a 3/8" hole. You should now have a 3/8" hole dead center of all of your 14mm hexes. Now chuck the 10mm bolt in your drill press with the head sticking down. Heat the head of the bolt with a mini torch or whatever you have access to and press it through the 3/8' hole making sure to position the 10mm hex in the same manner as the 14mm hex you have drawn on the board. Then I cut the lines of the 14mm with a hacksaw making sure not to cut too close and left them a little thick, easier to sand them down than make new ones! now sand and trim till it fits. the 10mm inner will be tight on the axle, but thats good. I had to push mine on real hard to just get them started onto the axle, before I pushed them all the way on I slid the wheel onto the adapter and used the wheel screw to suck it all together, nice and tight. after you drive it some and take the wheels on and off it will loosen up some. the adapters should stay on the axle when you remove the wheel. I havent done a lot of testing with them yet, but so far so good. Besides,... ya'll asked!!

Now I'm off to tear apart the front axle and see what happened.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Actually, it's just called a stick. The shocks are one one side so that when the left rear wheel compresses, the left rear shock compresses, but when the right front wheel compresses, the left front shock compresses. Simple enough, when you think about it. BUT, a torsion stick is completely different. A peice of Aluminum channel or angle is stiffly mounted onto each axle, and the articulation is based on the flex of the aluminum.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

By the way, all of the fab work on the rig was done with a drill press, a hack saw, and some files. Just takes a little patience!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerguy851
Actually, it's just called a stick. The shocks are one one side so that when the left rear wheel compresses, the left rear shock compresses, but when the right front wheel compresses, the left front shock compresses. Simple enough, when you think about it. BUT, a torsion stick is completely different. A peice of Aluminum channel or angle is stiffly mounted onto each axle, and the articulation is based on the flex of the aluminum.
Correct. It's not a torsion stick, round tube would never flex!!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Tell me, how do you get it so it's well...a stick?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Oh...the limiting strap on the shock...
Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

the shock's don't have to be on the same side.

i've got one on the left rear and one on the right front. just did it quick but it works. haven't tested it other ways.

oh and you stick is sweet. i like the shock mounts. i'm gonna have to change mine
b2bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #19
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bomber
the shock's don't have to be on the same side.
i've got one on the left rear and one on the right front. just did it quick but it works. haven't tested it other ways.

oh and you stick is sweet. i like the shock mounts. i'm gonna have to change mine
Yes they do have to be on the same side. With them mounted on different sides, when you lift up your right front you are now compressing both shocks, lift up the left side and you aren't compressing anything. It's just like your running no shocks at all. You either put them one one side, all four corners, or nothing at all, a mixture doesn't work.

Anyways, getbent, I knew you would make an amazing 1:6. That thing is freakin' awesome!! Your work is soooo clean. I love the schock mounts, very nice. Those wheel adapters look great, I like how they don't add any width like the socket and nut do. You should deffinetly keep us updated on how they hold up. I just happen to have a cutting board left over from my NNylint chassis. I'm thinking I'm going to be making some of these shortly. The CJ8 body look sweet on there, be sure to post up lots of action pics and definetly post up a video when you get a chance.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #20
[HOONIGAN]

Where are you going to mount the batt?
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote