Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shock Limiting Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Shock Limiting Question

Hey guys, I have a problem I haven't run across before. I did some searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm rebuilding an SCX-10 (1.9 with Pro-Line scale shocks and Hand Bros CMS), and with my new steering setup I found that I needed to limit the front shocks just a bit (externally) to keep everything turning smoothly during articulation. My question is this:
Do I need to also limit the rear shocks to keep all 4 corners somewhat equal, or does it matter? I know that a lot of builds have different length shocks front and back, but that doesn't necessarily mean the shaft stroke is different. If I don't limit the rears, will it allow the truck to flex in a "weird" manner, or do I want to leave them unlimited to take advantage of the extra articulation?
Secondary question:
Will the same apply when I build my AX10 sporty in a couple of months, or do the rules change for comp rigs?
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited by papabash; 09-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shock Limiting Question

do you want to limit the travel or the entire shock length?

and most of that id do internally not externally
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Here's my opinion......

On the SCX, do what you have to do / what you want to do. I run the CMS on my SCX, without limiters of any kind, and let the drag link and tie rod hit each other at max stuff. Haven't had any servo related issues. Yet anyway.

On a comp rig, run the "correct" length shock. Don't limit if you can help it. A little fine tuning is OK, but I've seen comp rigs with 1/2" or more of external limiting on a 4" shock and it makes me cringe. This lets the tire lift more in relation to the chassis, thus keeping the CG lower. And shorter shocks are lighter, and mount lower, keeping the CG lower. I've done all kinds of shock shaft mixing and matching, and trimmed shock bodies (like the MRC pro shocks) to get to the perfect length.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

There's no hard rule that you need to limit all 4 corners. Limit your fronts to preserve your steering function and my vote would be to let the back end fly if it wants. I use Slash front shocks at all 4 corners on my SCX, and it doesn't seem to me that the fronts and rears articulate the same even though all shocks are the same length.
On the AX, I personally favor leaving them all the same length, but still, there's nothing saying you have to.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Here's my opinion......

On the SCX, do what you have to do / what you want to do. I run the CMS on my SCX, without limiters of any kind, and let the drag link and tie rod hit each other at max stuff. Haven't had any servo related issues. Yet anyway.
I was good with doing that since it is only at full left turn/full stuff that it hit............ until I noticed that the tie rod was actually hitting the servo horn - that's when I stuck the limiters in.

Quote:
On a comp rig, run the "correct" length shock. Don't limit if you can help it. A little fine tuning is OK, but I've seen comp rigs with 1/2" or more of external limiting on a 4" shock and it makes me cringe. This lets the tire lift more in relation to the chassis, thus keeping the CG lower. And shorter shocks are lighter, and mount lower, keeping the CG lower. I've done all kinds of shock shaft mixing and matching, and trimmed shock bodies (like the MRC pro shocks) to get to the perfect length.
I'm with you there, I was just wondering about small limiters in case I run into the same problem. Sometimes it's hard to find just the right length of shock, but mixing/matching and trimming the bodies would probably be a better choice.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggreg2011 View Post
do you want to limit the travel or the entire shock length?

and most of that id do internally not externally
Just trying to prevent the tie rod from rubbing the servo horn. That's why I did it externally, I cut one of the stock rubber SCX10 shock stops in half and the 2 resulting pieces were just about perfect. Seems to be a good compromise so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
There's no hard rule that you need to limit all 4 corners. Limit your fronts to preserve your steering function and my vote would be to let the back end fly if it wants.
That's what I was thinking, just wanted some verification.

Shock Limiting Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swx/losi shock limiting? jeepster73 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 01-15-2011 04:34 PM
shock limiting. servo "blue arrow" es79 Newbie General 2 04-02-2010 07:23 AM
Limiting shock question g_green Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 02-16-2010 07:28 PM
shock limiting ped453 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 09-03-2009 05:25 PM
Shock limiting crawladan Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 03-05-2009 05:05 PM