Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need a new crawler, cant decide which one to choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Need a new crawler, cant decide which one to choose

Just like the title says.Iam looking to buy my next crawler. Ima looking for someing to be a full on comp crawler but iam really having a hard time to decide what to go with. Below are the some of the ones i have been tossing around. Looking for any input pro and cons and if there is one that is not on my list i should be looking at. thanks

Shafty
LNC
Gmade R1

MOA
xr10
Bully
LNC coverted MOA
Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need a new crawler, cant decide which one to choose

Xr10
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Xr10
Too much information. Just "XR" should have been enough.

The following is a bit of a newb post and I’ve only been in the hobby now for 11 months . And the following is what I know from 11 months of researching the ever living crap out of crawlers. But to be honest, at $400 that Bully MOA looks like a steal. I haven’t heard anything bad about them, and the axles they come with are supposedly incredible. The XR10 is cheap to begin with but will cost near $700 to get it working really well.

Last edited by Chubby5000; 10-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Chubby5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Man i was afraid of this. I really dont like the Xr. I think it is cheap i did own one i built it and then sold it just didnt like it. it feals really cheap

But I never did get to run it. So those of you that keep saying the go Xr could you give reasons why?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have an xr and love it but have never tried a berg or bully. If I have the chance I will build a berg just to compare the 2. THe biggest benefit to going with the xr is the aftermarket support for it. There is a ton of it!!! The berg has some aswell but it mostly provided by vendors on this site.

There is no comparison to running a shafty or moa. They are 2 different crawlers and depending on what ya want to do with it will determine which style you choose.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I loved my XR. I only sold it 'cause comping kinda died out.. There is some money to be spent to make it reliable..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

I remember when iwas building mine thatt there is alot off after market out there and I also reme,ber alot of stuff needed to be done. Anotjer reason I did not like the xr. As far as a moa its between a bully and xr.

What about uo shafty guys. I have nevwr seen a moa in action but how does the shafty with dig compare
Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby5000 View Post
Too much information. Just "XR" should have been enough.
Did it not answer his question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby5000 View Post
The XR10 is cheap to begin with but will cost near $700 to get it working really well.
$160 for the kit
$44 for boss claws
$80 for two sets of RC4WD gears
$80 for two sets of RC4WD gearcases

$364 total

Much less than the $700 you quoted.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:

$160 for the kit
$44 for boss claws

$364 total

With speedos and motors and servo he is not far off
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
With speedos and motors and servo he is not far off
You will have to buy that stuff for ANY dual motor crawler you choose.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #11

Yes I know thT. I was just stating how he could have came up with that price
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Yes I know thT. I was just stating how he could have came up with that price
If that is the case, then that is quite reasonable. But, it should also be pointed out that the electronics that come in the $400 bully are absolute crap....along with the tires, shocks and chassis. I know that the price for it is tempting, but the XR10 kit is really a MUCH better crawler...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
If that is the case, then that is quite reasonable. But, it should also be pointed out that the electronics that come in the $400 bully are absolute crap....along with the tires, shocks and chassis. I know that the price for it is tempting, but the XR10 kit is really a MUCH better crawler...
I was wondering about the electronics, and I kinda fig that they were not the greatest. But I had no clue about shovks or chassis
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #14

Well iam torn xr, bully or a LNC with MOA kit, Since i have had a the XR iam really looking at the Bully. And i really like the LNC, Sunday we are having a fun Comp the are LHS and there is a guy coming with a XR so i will get to see one in action. that should help on deciding
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I only have an XR, so cant talk about the other options. I know from my research that all the top end rigs are based on XR10 axles. As I am finding out, never going to get far with a box stock XR, but its the basis of a great crawler. I finally have mine on the rocks, box stock.
Rovers + 2 brood 35t $95
2 Sidewinder Micro's $140
Servo $80
GT3B + Hack kit $80
Kit $159

$474 to get it on the rocks with proportional Dig. I have lots of improvements to make, so I will probably but another $600 tp $700 into it. I really want that CF Switch/Ti link combo, and the improved gears. I baby mine still. I don't juice it in a bind. I don't want to break what I already know is the weak point.
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have been crawling for near 6 years now and have had about everything moa and shafty. The Losi Night Crawler is a great platform to run as a shafty as it is RTR and competitively priced, but it needs a good brushless motor to get the wheel speed required to make it competitive. You also have to keep up on the maintenance with the Losi axles. I never had any luck with the GMade stuff, so I will not comment on them. Axial AX10's are a great platform for shafty's too because they are reliable and have a ton of parts support and aftermarket products available.

The MOA's are a mixed bag really. XR10's have to have some money thrown at them to be reliable. You can spend a couple hundred and get the RC4WD gears and gear cases, do a few axle mods, and have a nice running truck that will be competitive. You can throw several hundred at it, VP it completely out and have a very expensive truck that will be competitive. I had an XR and it didn't fit my driving style and just never felt right to me, personal preference.

The bully is a good beginner platform for learning how to drive MOA with front and rear dig. It is probably more forgiving if you bind it up and keep going as the axles are stronger out of the box. The axles are hard to set up because of a wide gearcase. The RTR version is just as someone stated above, RC4WD electronics are cheap and junk. Spend the money and get good stuff for electronics.

The berg is my favorite MOA. However, you have to throw money at them too for making them reliable. The stock axle shafts are weak and need to be replace with Super 300's which can be a bit pricey. The gears in gearcase need upgraded, well at least the 2nd and 3rd gears as they can be problematic in comps when bound up.

The best advice I would give someone that is getting into comp crawling is start with a shafty and work up from there. Learn to drive it for 2-3 months. That will help you decide if you want to pony up the money for an MOA which can lighten your wallet by several hundred dollars. I have competed locally and at national events. My favorite times have been when a bunch of friends get together and beat the crap out of our trucks for bragging rights. So before going all in on a MOA, I would suggest getting your feet wet with a good shafty. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Lnc is a nice start for a shafty style comp rig, no dig but its plenty capable and you can swap in a LCC tranny. The factory electronics are kinda poop. But I figure with the cost of the RTR kit, new tires and wheels, new motor and esc, new servo, making bent links, and a battery im in mine for around $700-750 and its extremely capable. Anything is going to cost you serious dinero to make it work really well unless you source all used parts or go with cheapo electronics. Good luck

Last edited by SHOtime; 10-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
SHOtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicrawler View Post
I have been crawling for near 6 years now and have had about everything moa and shafty. The Losi Night Crawler is a great platform to run as a shafty as it is RTR and competitively priced, but it needs a good brushless motor to get the wheel speed required to make it competitive. You also have to keep up on the maintenance with the Losi axles. I never had any luck with the GMade stuff, so I will not comment on them. Axial AX10's are a great platform for shafty's too because they are reliable and have a ton of parts support and aftermarket products available.

The MOA's are a mixed bag really. XR10's have to have some money thrown at them to be reliable. You can spend a couple hundred and get the RC4WD gears and gear cases, do a few axle mods, and have a nice running truck that will be competitive. You can throw several hundred at it, VP it completely out and have a very expensive truck that will be competitive. I had an XR and it didn't fit my driving style and just never felt right to me, personal preference.

The bully is a good beginner platform for learning how to drive MOA with front and rear dig. It is probably more forgiving if you bind it up and keep going as the axles are stronger out of the box. The axles are hard to set up because of a wide gearcase. The RTR version is just as someone stated above, RC4WD electronics are cheap and junk. Spend the money and get good stuff for electronics.

The berg is my favorite MOA. However, you have to throw money at them too for making them reliable. The stock axle shafts are weak and need to be replace with Super 300's which can be a bit pricey. The gears in gearcase need upgraded, well at least the 2nd and 3rd gears as they can be problematic in comps when bound up.

The best advice I would give someone that is getting into comp crawling is start with a shafty and work up from there. Learn to drive it for 2-3 months. That will help you decide if you want to pony up the money for an MOA which can lighten your wallet by several hundred dollars. I have competed locally and at national events. My favorite times have been when a bunch of friends get together and beat the crap out of our trucks for bragging rights. So before going all in on a MOA, I would suggest getting your feet wet with a good shafty. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Thanks for the superb right up there. That as help alot and i think i know the direction iam going to go
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #19

Well I went ahead and picked up a LNC. going to get on ebay and pick up a LCC TRANs
And chassis and crawl it. While I decide on a moa
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:

$160 for the kit
$44 for boss claws

$364 total

i get that this post is a bit old but i was looking on the axial web site and the xr10 kit is $550

i would like to build a comp crawler saw a chaotic switch crawler sick ride. but i am such a newbiw to crawling that i am getting lost.
dodgeboy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Need a new crawler, cant decide which one to choose - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cant decide on a crawler..please help!!! bucks86ta Newbie General 17 11-11-2010 11:40 AM
Help me choose my first crawler Longdog Newbie General 17 04-16-2010 07:23 PM
my first crawler cant decide which one rubicon53 Newbie General 11 02-22-2010 09:46 AM
hard to decide...witch crawler to get DAN8701 Newbie General 10 07-21-2009 12:58 AM
Crawler Choose One bearcat263 General Crawlers 6 11-14-2008 07:35 PM