Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: dual rate springs??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Default dual rate springs??

So i have been tossin around the idea of running dual rate springs, I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions on propper setup. Should the stiffer spring be on top or bottom, whats the advatange/disadvantage of doing this. Also how would you go about choosing what spring rate to go with
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

The coil on the top is your "ride" spring. The lower coil is meant mainly for when the top coil is out of compression and to keep the shock from bottoming out. So..usually the soft "tender" spring is on the top.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Dual rate springs are generally intended for faster driving. When you are blazing across a bumpy surface, the soft springs take care if the little bumps and such, and then the larger springs handle any big ruts or jumps.

They may help regulate your flex a little, though. The soft set will allow easy flex to a certian degree, and then the stiffer springs will allow it to continue, but provide more resistance to prevent over-articulation. Maybe?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
They may help regulate your flex a little, though. The soft set will allow easy flex to a certian degree, and then the stiffer springs will allow it to continue, but provide more resistance to prevent over-articulation. Maybe?
thats kinda the idea i was going for, just dont know how to set it up
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i would go with the softer springs on top that is what i am doing with a set of tlt shocks for a scaler im building.
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have been running a dual rate spring on the left rear of my SW2 tlt for a couple months. Originally i did it to help fight the little torque twist i had, and i think it helped to some degree. I just didnt want to run a stiff coil for the whole range of travel, so i figured this would be a reasonable compromise. I run my shocks upside down, and the soft spring is on top. I made a slider out of 2 maxx spring seats (the stepped things) and am running about 1" of a stock max red spring on the bottom. I like the way the truck handles so im leaving it, and it was definitely an improvement compared to running the solid red spring.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d
thats kinda the idea i was going for, just dont know how to set it up
Yeah, the smaller, soft springs go on the top. It may be a little pricey, but you could get a couple pairs of the Pro-Line dual rate shocks.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
I'm a stupid C U N T!

what i was planning was a hellfire shock w/2 jato springs equal length
Old 09-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

In theory it should not matter which spring goes where, most people put the shorter spring on the top and the longer spring on the bottom. Typically the stronger spring is shorter as you don't want to limit travel to much or increase spring rate to much.

Another idea is run silicon tubing on your shock shafts to limit compression travel slightly, you can tune the length of the tubing to get different 2nd or 3rd spring rate and dampening rates.
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadork
...Typically the stronger spring is shorter as you don't want to limit travel to much or increase spring rate to much...
I always thought the shorter springs were the soft ones, and the longer springs were stiffer :?

Soaking up little bumps and imperfections in the road is what the soft springs do, and you don't really need much to do that. But for big jumps and landings, you want the longer, stiffer springs to handle the full travel of the shock. I could be wrong, though.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The Maxx springs I had were hard on top short, and soft on the bottom long.

It also depends on what spring rates and travel you are looking for.
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #12
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I always thought the shorter springs were the soft ones, and the longer springs were stiffer :?

Soaking up little bumps and imperfections in the road is what the soft springs do, and you don't really need much to do that. But for big jumps and landings, you want the longer, stiffer springs to handle the full travel of the shock. I could be wrong, though.
Your correct...the short tender coil on the top is usually the softer rate which is used for ride quality cause it absorbs the small bumps. The longer lower coil is usually more stiff to absorb the large bumps and keeps everything from bottoming out on really large bumps.

I have the Pro-Lines on my build, and I bought the soft rate coil kit also..and they seem to be very nice. The closest to what a real coil-over would react like I think.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote