Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wraith Vs SCX10 Fun and Scale Trail rules?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wraith Vs SCX10 Fun and Scale Trail rules?

Im going to get back into crawling dont think Im going to go with a comp just yet as I just really had fun with the scale looking trail rides in the past. My son is 12 and already owns a slash 4x4 which I think is a useless truck seeing how we dont race anymore,but he still likes it because its fast I guess. I was trying to talk him into selling the slash and getting a crawler,but I dont think he's sold on the pure slow powerful climbing action quit yet. I was wondering your opinion on the wraith,Im sure he would like the off road capabilities plus the added speed you would get. I like the more realistic look you get with the scx10 jeep type kits/rtr and for us just going to mess around at our local creek beds and parks it would be fine,but Im pretty certain there is a club near us that runs all types of classes and might want to jump into that but was wondering what class the wraith would be considered?

I read over the scale trail rules which im assuming a rtr axial jeep should be ready to enter and meet all the requirements of the trail class right off the bat,correct? But it seems the wraith meets a lot of the requirements but doesnt sound like the frame would cut it?

So let me know your opinions on what you would get,more that likely it will be just us bashing around "maybe meet a few others" but just might find our selves at a club. Just looking at the wraith and the scx10 it looks like the wraith would be a better trail truck getting through more obstacles and terrain,has the larger tires off the bat,Easy change diff axles,lights,dig compatible tranny etc. But given my case what do you think is the better buy?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Vs SCX10 Fun and Scale Trail rules?

I have an SCX10 with a 20 turn motor, which is actually pretty fast. I believe the Wraith qualifies as a tube chassis. Plus, why would Axial make a crawler that isn't compatible with the rules? I think it really depends on what looks you want. Search for the SORRCA rules on the forum. Those are the rules to follow. For trail running, either is probably good. My dingo gets around my backyard fairly well. That includes gravel, grass and some good sized dirt mounds. Sorry for the disjointed post, but that is the way it is.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I guess what I was trying to say would they both be able to compete in the same scale trail class? Probably not right?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

No, they won't be together in most competitions. The SCX10 would be in the 1.9 group and the Wraith would be in the 2.2 group.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There's a couple of threads discussing this, search about scale rules. Its not so much the o.d. of the wheel but rather the tire.

Basically the Wraith out of the box is a class3 rig, the scx10 is a class2 rig and can be made to work in class1. With some ingenuity one could make a wraith chassis class2. But the ratio of time invested for performance gains just isn't there imo.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I hit a lot of gates with Ar60 axled wroncho. The width is limiting on tight turnes. I think the gate width is same for 1.9 and 2.2 class....I think, will have to check. I dont remeber anyone resetting for different classes.
I think one would be very happy with a wraith for overall non-comp bashing crawling goodness.
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

There are two other options to consider for the kid:
1. SCX10. Can be made to go pretty fast.
2. Vaterra Twin Hammer. Made to go fast and will crawl about as good as the SCX10. Downside is it can't compete well in any official crawler class.

The downside of the Wraith (in this application) is that it's both faster and a better crawler than the SCX10, which is what the options above solve.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Wraith is a C3 rig, even with a tire swap it doesnt meet the C2 rules since tubers are not allowed in C2.

That said, get what you like and have fun with them. We at at the local level will allow most any rig to compte,especially if it is a new fella just out to have fun. If you are running the series in our club, we will ask that you follow the rules to a T. Other than that, we try and make sure everyone has fun doing this since that is what it is really about.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #9

The easy fix to this situation is just keep the slash and buy a scale rig, or buy an scx-10 and use it as a class2 rig but have an extra motor/esc combo so when the young man wants to go fast he can. Also that would make for a great top truck. You can also do what I did and get an ax-10 and convert it from a TVP to a scale rig. TCS makes a great chassis swap which is what I did. The X-Trail chassis. Good luck. I am dealing with the same thing the other way around though. My son is not fond of the crawlers anymore and wants another Slash. LOL kids!!!
jmoser1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Vs SCX10 Fun and Scale Trail rules? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Trucks River Crossing RC Adventures - water fun! SCX10 Hummer RC4WD Subzero Hon boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 02-14-2013 08:28 AM
Mudding! 18 RC Trucks scale adventures Axial SCX10 Wraith Defender 90 Trail finder boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 01-04-2013 08:44 PM
SCX10 & Wraith Trail Run - Lights Required! Lyle Scale Videos! 0 10-22-2012 05:39 PM
25 Trucks beach Trail: 15 Land Rover Defender scx10 Trail Finder 2 Wraith hilux Tundr boolean21 Scale Videos! 6 08-22-2012 04:07 PM
Axial scx10 and Wraith Trail Adventure!!! aking720 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 09:22 AM