Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Questions for sportman WHY???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Questions for sportman WHY???

I've been out of the comp scene since 2010 when I got back from Crawlapalooza, since the comp scene here in Hawaii died. Been doing the scale and Recon G6 here, I want to get back into the comp scene for when the next time I make it up to the states I have options to play with.

Why have a lightweight sportman?? In the 3 lbs range

To run light weight shafts in the trans and motor plate??

Taking weight out of the axles with a lighter locker to but the weight back on with knuckle weight. Wouldn't it more sense to run the light weight stuff in the rear and just run the heavier stuff in the front with little to no knuckle weights.

I still have my truck still together since crawlapalooza and wanna update the trucks. It was okay in 2010 specs, but now its 2013.
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Questions for sportman WHY???

I think the majority of why to lighten internal axle parts is more to reduce the rotating mass that you are turning. The knuckle weights are just dead weight hanging in the corners as opposed to making your motor actually have to spin the weight around. It also adds alot more pep to how your motor seems to react when you pull the trigger. That's why people are moving away from weighted wheels as well. I hope this helps and I am by no means a pro but that's just what I get out of it.
scoutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Rotating mass would only be the rims not the axles, thats why the reason for the carbon wheels.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Questions for sportman WHY???

It's to enable you to put the weight were you want and reduce the amount necessary to gain the level of performance you are looking for. In other words...if your rig weighed 5lbs you'd probably want more knuckle/wheel weight up front to produce the necessary forward weight bias. With a 3.5lb truck you don't need nearly as much weight added back to gain the same improvements.

As with everything there are trade offs, but for the most part reducing the weight in critical areas can really wake these trucks up and greatly improve their abilities.

The carbon wheels serve to do more than just lighten the truck. They, along with other styles of wheels with flat faces, have allowed us to push the weights as far out on the corners as possible...and that's where we want the weight...WAY OUT ON THE CORNERS.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Would it make sense to add weight in the axle and to add a few ounces on the side well in this case the knuckles for side to side weight bias??

Questions for sportman WHY??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sportman class crawler bigdogramsst G-Made Crawlers 0 01-17-2012 01:04 PM
Wk pro sportman! 4xFord HPI Wheely King 49 01-14-2010 03:15 PM
Renoirbuds RF (Sportman Class) renoirbud Kyosho Crawlers 7 11-03-2009 04:40 PM