Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Hardware, kits and materials are made of subpar materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down RC4WD Hardware, kits and materials are made of subpar materials

I am by no means green to RC in general, I started building when I was 6 with assistance and built my first car all by myself when the Frog was released in 1983. I took up the hobby when I became disabled in 2009 and have continued building kits since then, so my experience involves about every chassis platform from Tamiya, Axial, Gmade, RC4WD, HPI, Associated and Losi.

My previous builds:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10204...21381797573281

https://plus.google.com/photos/10204...CNH3peTqqKvuGQ

I have had nothing but a horrible experience with RC4WD screws stripping, needing drilling out screws out of axles, axles themselves stripping and my general frustrating building experience with my Trail finder 2. RC4wd replaced the parts that were stripped or the wholes misdrilled so kudos to their customer service but they would save a LOT of customer service issues by using higher quality materials and hardware.

I said I would use RCscrewz if I was to build another RC4wd kit. Their hardware kits have been quality, so much so I bought a bunch and keep them in their own hardware organizer. I started my build on the Gelande 2 with RCscrewz and made sure every screw seated before using any threadlock (a practice I learned from my Trail Finder experience). Once the screws threaded find, I would threadlock them.

Well I finished the frame, and here's a list of all the problems with the frame rails alone.

3 Overdrilled shock mount holes (both rear m3 holes were drilled too large for both the m3 RC4wd hardware as well as the m3 rcscrewz which have never failed me)

1 Front Frame horn was overdrilled and does not fit an m3 screw snugly (just sitting in there with threadlock).My only solution to this was to use self tapping screws from previous traxxas builds.

RC4WD makes quality accessories and pretty much keeps the Scale side of things going, but they REALLY need to focus on their hardware and quality control. If you have had issues with their hardware or quality control speak up. I think its time RC4WD hears about what their customers are experiencing...

I wanted to see if I'm the only one having these issues and also give the guys at RCscrewz a big thumbs up on their hardware quality.

Last edited by daign; 11-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD Hardware, kits and materials are made of subpar materials

I've no personal experience with any RC3WD hardware, but it must be bad if the RCScrews stainless is an upgrade.

I've always felt that stainless RC fasteners are too "soft", most are grade 8.8 at best, and strip out fairly easily when compared to grade 10.9 or 12.9 hardware, which as all I will run in my trucks.

I'd like to go off track a little and mention that one of the industry "leaders", Axial, is still using damn'd self-tapping coarse thread hardware. I couldn't even bring myself to use half the included hardware on the last three Axial Kits I put together.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Another RCScrewz fan!!! I'm about to do my 4th build with their stuff.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I've never had problems with RC4WD's hardware stripping out, but every now and then I'll have an axle that is bad. Usually when that happens, I'll just run a tap through it again. It's just cast aluminum.

My thoughts on their misaligned holes or their oversized holes in the frames or parts is that you've got to remember that they machine most of the parts and the others they cast. Sometimes they will get a bad batch and don't notice the oversized hole (hard to tell the small difference by an unexperienced eye) until the consumer finds it. Luckily, RC4WD is very forgiving and will send out a new replacement piece FOR FREE. I know that they take a while to get to you through email, but when they do, they usually take very good care of you. Be thankful that RC4WD exists and keeps pushing for that next incredibly scaled part and all aluminum RC.

It stinks that only the bad kits give RC4WD bad wrap... it's kindof like the news now. All of the shootings, murders, and wildfires that they talk about constantly apparently doesn't give the same ratings as the man/woman who donated a huge amount of money to a charity or the paralyzed man that was able to walk again. How does that saying go...? "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch."

Anyway, I understand that some bad kits or parts can get through, but, in a weird way, that's part of the hobby. We fix and improve; break and repair.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 11-02-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I've no personal experience with any RC3WD hardware, but it must be bad if the RCScrews stainless is an upgrade.

I've always felt that stainless RC fasteners are too "soft", most are grade 8.8 at best, and strip out fairly easily when compared to grade 10.9 or 12.9 hardware, which as all I will run in my trucks.

I'd like to go off track a little and mention that one of the industry "leaders", Axial, is still using damn'd self-tapping coarse thread hardware. I couldn't even bring myself to use half the included hardware on the last three Axial Kits I put together.
Those self tapping screws I didn't use saved my ass on this Gelande 2!

But with axial kits, every instruction is real to life size which is nice, the parts are laid out nicely, and everything goes together as described.

My trailfinder 2 I had to drill out 4-5 screws because I used the stock RC4WD screws.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
I've never had problems with RC4WD's hardware stripping out, but every now and then I'll have an axle that is bad. Usually when that happens, I'll just run a tap through it again. It's just cast aluminum.

My thoughts on their misaligned holes or their oversized holes in the frames or parts is that you've got to remember that they machine most of the parts and the others they cast. Sometimes they will get a bad batch and don't notice the oversized hole (hard to tell the small difference by an unexperienced eye) until the consumer finds it. Luckily, RC4WD is very forgiving and will send out a new replacement piece FOR FREE. I know that they take a while to get to you through email, but when they do, they usually take very good care of you. Be thankful that RC4WD exists and keeps pushing for that next incredibly scaled part and all aluminum RC.

It stinks that only the bad kits give RC4WD bad wrap... it's kindof like the news now. All of the shootings, murders, and wildfires that they talk about constantly apparently don't give the same ratings as the man/woman who donated a huge amount of money to a charity or the paralyzed man that was able to walk again. How does that saying go...? "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch."

Anyway, I understand that some bad kits or parts can get through, but, in a weird way, that's part of the hobby. We fix and improve; break and repair.
While I agree thats why I build kits in the first place, a kit should go together the first time without hardware stripping, holes too large, and manufacturing defects.

I am one customer, and with 2 different RC4wd kits, both have had more manufacturing and flaws than all the tamiya kits I've ever built as well as Axial. I use Wiha drivers and a tamiya t wrench, its not like I'm using an impact wrench or power tool here. ;)

Their wheels are fantastic, as well as their scale items and bits. But even the hardware for the wheels is prone to stripping. I recall the screws that shipped with my Sand Scorcher wheels, the bolts stripped using snug tightening with a tamiya t-wrench and a 1.5mm pocket driver....

RC4wd kindly shipped me out replacement screws but for the money they charge on their items, you would expect quality hardware at the least.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Another RCScrewz fan!!! I'm about to do my 4th build with their stuff.
After about 8 builds with RCscrewz hardware, I have a nice selection of screws, enough to actually build this entire Gelende 2, which would be nice if the m3 screws fit in the 'm3' holes. Its so bad I can push the screws in by hand.

I should have gotten in on that hardware sale that was going around somewhere put together here. Who was that again? I think it was Harley?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
I should have gotten in on that hardware sale that was going around somewhere put together here. Who was that again? I think it was Harley?
You are correct, it's Harley.... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...29-99-a-9.html

They are still for sale, but stock is low....... order now or wait.

Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Hardware, kits and materials are made of subpar materials - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New materials GRIMGREG Paint and Body 1 03-03-2011 02:12 PM
Materials dingaling Colorado 8 12-21-2009 11:40 PM