Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Axial vehicle platform is the most fun & versatile for trail riding & crawling?
Axial Wraith 13 30.95%
Axial AX10 4 9.52%
Axial SCX10 30 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Axial SCX, Wraith, AX Comparisons. Please, My Eyes Hurt!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Axial SCX, Wraith, AX Comparisons. Please, My Eyes Hurt!

I have been reading a lot and watching vids. Please point me in the right direction that would have a simple (or detailed) comparison list & differences and pros and cons of the following Axial vehicles:
1. Wraith
2. SCX 10's
3. AX 10's

In Stock form:
Comparing each truck in each category. Example: Which one is more top heavy, best used for in stock form (not the generic, box listed best - I've seen some Wraith vids showing better crawling than some SCX's and vice versa)..., cage can be left off of build or Cage must be on build, battery best suited on each, best forward climbing stability, best side to side stability, electronics easily mounted or kindof takes some imagination, etc.

I'm wanting to get a new truck. I have built and have a thread and pics on here of a Rubicon that I built out of an Axial AX10 back in 2008. Got rid of it like an idiot and now I wished I wouldn't have . Won Xtreme RC Cars' Reader's Rides back in November 2008.
I will not be competing. Just having fun and enjoy building and changing stuff sometimes. Would like to get opinions of which truck to start with nowadays. Educated opinions are very welcome (you own one, your buddy does, etc...). Thanks a bunch!
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial SCX, Wraith, AX Comparisons. Please, My Eyes Hurt!

Short version:
AX10 Gen 2 ==> crawler
SCX10 ==> Scale rig that can crawl.
Wraith ==> Go fast rock racer or can be a crawler.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Don't really know of any lists but ill tell you what I know.
Scx10- more for scale looks than anything. It isn't your best crawler out of the box. Does well on trails.
Wraith- this is more of a rock racer bouncer and has wider axles for more stability and a 20t motor compared to the scx10 with a 27t
Ax10- this is more of a crawler setup and the ax line is what started it for axial. I believe it has a 20t motor as well and shares axles with the wraith. This really has no scale theme at all as it uses a monster truck style frame.

You can take this with a grain of salt cause everyone has there own opinions on each. I like my wraith for general bashing and trail running, but my scx10s handle everything the same just not as fast but has a high scale look
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hands down... SCX10. You can do so much with the chassis, it's nuts. The above posts really only state the RTR versatility of the the three, but before you know it, you get the itch to change something and you can take the SCX10 in so many more ways than the Wraith or Ax10 platforms. That's at least my 2 cents.
jeepnvinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

SCX-10 is sweet all around and not a half bad crawler with the right upgrades. Check out Steve Hudy's vids on youtube. He has a freakin sweet scx10 and he knows how to drive it.
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'd say each has it's own qualities but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Scx10's have more options for bodies while still looking more "scale" due to it's narrow axles. I've built a couple sets of ax/scx axles and they aren't too bad but I had issues keeping front axle shafts alive. The only option on the market currently that is strong enough to hold up to my stupidity are VP's VVD's so I pulled the gears and lockers and put together a set of AR60's.

The sky is the limit when it comes to what you can do with it since it has a huge aftermarket following.

The new ax10 deadbolt is a pretty sweet combo of scaleesque looks and the much better (in my opinion) AR60 axles. I prefer AR60's because the housings are far, FAR stronger than ax/scx, they are wider, axial universal shafts drop right in and they have diff covers so it's easy to service them. Just as the scx10 anything can be done with it and the aftermarket is growing for it every day.

The wraith is the be all, do all of the group. It has a hardcore look to it but they come out with different bodies that can be used with the chassis to change it's look. There are options from many different companies to do anything and everything you could want to do to it.

If I was starting from scratch I'd go with a wraith. Lower it a bit and start tweaking it to your liking from there. Pretty simple setup really.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2014 at 08:00 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Question Re: Axial SCX, Wraith, AX Comparisons. Please, My Eyes Hurt!

I Swapped these questions to the Wraith Thread.

Last edited by NitroStar; 01-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Saw an SCX10 at the LHS today. I was very impressed. The new ones have all aluminum linkages.
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm getting lots of great suggestions. Working late hours, so keep giving me opinions. I am reading all. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thank you for posting this, I was getting ready to post the same. I am rather unsure as to which way I am also going to go as well.
4door5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door5speed View Post
Thank you for posting this, I was getting ready to post the same. I am rather unsure as to which way I am also going to go as well.
Well, I'm still unsure ! Still weighing the options. Pretty stupid not including beadlock rims in the kits now. Heck, I liked the old AX10 rims!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Reguardless of which rig you decide on, there are houndreds of ways to make each the way you want. The best thing to do is to chose a rig that appeals to your taste, then upgrade to the point where your proud of what you've created. Remember, only you have the final say of this is " KILLER "
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Axial SCX10 is sitting on table. Gonna start enjoying the build today! Thanks for opinions and comments. I'll keep checking here and the poll I started. Very interesting!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #14

wraith best out of the box crawler.
scx-10 the best true to the real world crawler
ax-10 (old chassis) most versatile easy to upgrade crawler. I have a fully modified one with new chassis coming in. I have only stock axles that is it everything else is modified.
ax-10 ridgecrest/deadbolt have not tried yet most likely will not either.

Last edited by Detour; 01-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX, Wraith, AX Comparisons. Please, My Eyes Hurt! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Axial Wraith & Scx-10 River play RcEngineer2012 Axial SCX-10 0 06-01-2012 08:32 AM
Axial wraith with a scx-10 honcho frame nathan000 Newbie General 8 12-22-2011 03:48 PM