Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: So this is what it looks like starting down the Rabbit Hole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default So this is what it looks like starting down the Rabbit Hole

Step 1. See a RC crawler. Think it looks cool and fun. Decide you want one.
Step 2. Find some cheap Chinese made crawlers on the internet that might get you running for little $$$
Step 3. Find RCcrawler.com. Research and read up on crawlers. See tons of cool awesome builds. Be amazed at the skill and ingenuity of the posters here.
Step 4. Decide cheap Chinese crawler is rubbish and that you would rather have an Axial for all of the cool community and aftermarket support.
Step 5. Research on rccrawler.com all the cool Axial options and builds. Decide to get a kit instead of a RTR because you would rather build it yourself and make sure it is done right than relying on a factory to do it for you.
Step 6. Watch build videos and look at the included Kit parts, decide maybe you should get the metal Traxxas balls/ends instead of using the included plastic balls from the Kit. It's only an extra $7 for the parts package. What's an extra $7?
Step 7. Realize that since you are getting link ends with the balls, maybe you could make custom upper links? Just a few bucks to make the custom links.
Step 8. Realize that if you are making custom links, maybe you should just 4 link the front while you are building up the Axial kit.

8 Steps in and I have a tube bender, all these misc parts, and I haven't even bought the kit yet. Told my wife to get it for me for my Birthday which is the middle of next month. Now I'm wishing I had told her to get me something else so I could have just bought it myself But having her buy it gives it a much higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) so I guess I will just have to wait and read and live vicariously through others until then.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: So this is what it looks like starting down the Rabbit Hole

before it is all over you will end up with three or more different crawlers plus a ton of parts. money becomes irrelevant, hahahaha
it is all part of the hobby.

to build one from scratch will cost you from 600.00 up depending on the quality of the parts (specially the electronics including the radio),
more likely 800.00 or more

do you want to compete?
do you like to build them?
just for you or for the family?
make your own parts? links, chassis, wheels, servo mounts, etc..

a lot of people buy something first then want to upgrade but in the meantime they have had a chance to play a bit with the cheapo unit
imo this is the best way to start because it gives us a chance to see if we really are going to enjoy the hobby and what aspects of
the hobby interest us the most before we have dumped in a significant amount of money.

enjoy
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Steps 6-8 are going to keep happening, especially when you break a little $5 part...it will quickly turn into a $100 upgrade because you "might as well"

I started somewhat like you, but I went straight to putting a hard body on a Axial Honcho, built my own links, then bumpers and before you know it I am building a rig from scratch.

Welcome by the way!
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

yup... that's about how it goes.

Good thinking on the WAF! Because, very very soon... you won't see much of her anymore.
You'll be up all night designing, cutting,grinding, bending, cursing, drinking, crying, laughing and building.

Then, you'll meet a group of guys that are into it. Trail run with them and then comp with them...
Then, you'll be back to up all night designing, cutting, grinding, bending, cursing, drinking, crying, laughing and tweaking.

Then, you'll go to national level gtg's and comps, away for days at a time. Renting cabins in the woods or the desert with men you've never met... they will become your family and when your wife ask where the/what the /who the? You just remind her, honey... you bought it for me!

Welcome to the club DeoreDX!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Like others said just wait until you start driving and meeting people. You have yet to see just out deep this rabbit hole is.

Once I had 3 trucks the WAF started to reach critical mass.... Then I bought another one just to see if I could get away with it. Still alive and married so far.
Mrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Yup. I kept telling her it was cheaper than 1:1... She didn't see how after I built my fourth. So I decided fawk it and started this project last summer.
Attached Images

johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Best newb post ever!? See #1 ! WAF lol
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

That is how I started with "scale".

Quote:
If I can make this part look a little more realistic ... then this thing right next to it ...
Now I have trucks sitting on the shelf because I want to wait to finish them until my version of "that other thing, next to the thing, next to the thing..." is finished.

Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My wife and i started with 1:1 rigs she likes this a hole lot better.she is not worried about me blowing up a 5,000 dollar motor or $3,000 trans or $600 axles spending a little over 300 in fuel to go play happy wife happy life welcome to our addiction.
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
a lot of people buy something first then want to upgrade but in the meantime they have had a chance to play a bit with the cheapo unit
imo this is the best way to start because it gives us a chance to see if we really are going to enjoy the hobby and what aspects of
the hobby interest us the most before we have dumped in a significant amount of money.

enjoy
Actually started off with my 5yo son's Maisto Rock Crawler. I was really impressed with how much better it drove over obstacles than his other crappy New Bright type toy RC trucks. I converted it into a Ford Raptor because he is totally obsessed with Ford Raptors.

Then he got this giant New bright which I eventually want to rob of it's body to stick on hobby grade chassis and electronics.

But now that my son has his Traxxas Raptor I need something a little better to play with then we go out in the woods to play

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

WAF...love it!!! How true, how true. I'm new to this side of the hobby as well and it has bit me hard. I find myself ordering something new about every other day and now plan to build me a steering link kit over the weekend out of Delrin. What a fun side of the hobby this is.
CypressCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

It all started when I saw my dads old "kyosho outlaw rampage" now we have 28 cars including a custom built full incab with working steering wheel gopro FPV 1/2 mile range a gimball for the gopro and working windshield wipers.

Yep,RC is contagious
Team_Bendy#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Is your wife's name Alice
I'm gonna use that "WAF" ....mine has mellowed a lot since I started this hobby....at least I'm not holed up in some bar chasing women...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Is your wife's name Alice
I'm gonna use that "WAF" ....mine has mellowed a lot since I started this hobby....at least I'm not holed up in some bar chasing women...
Well the wife doesn't mind this one as much as golf since I'm doing it with my son and that gets us out of the house for a while so she can get some quality quiet time without either of us making a mess of breaking stuff in the house.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This is only the beginning. Wait until you get the urge to try building with styrene or you get the desire to build your own tube work....
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
This is only the beginning. Wait until you get the urge to try building with styrene or you get the desire to build your own tube work....
Unfortunately I've already read a bunch of the silver solder brazing threads.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
Unfortunately I've already read a bunch of the silver solder brazing threads.
That's not unfortunate....that's a BIG plus...then the fun begins
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Step 9: Get it over with and admit your addiction.
Step 10: Grudgingly climb onto the detox wagon.
Step 11: Mere hours later, joyfully jump off the wagon back into this moshpit of creative happiness that leaves you penniless !!!
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I'm trying to figure out what step number is "Planning a new build before you even started on the build you just started getting packages in the mail for".
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I wanna know what step is for opening the beer!!! I hope step 1, 5, 8, 10, 14,15,15,15,11,5,1,1,11111111, wait, I jusss typeed that nummmber.......
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote

So this is what it looks like starting down the Rabbit Hole - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rabbit race car Metal Masher 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 17 07-03-2014 07:37 PM
GVCC Comp #2 '12-'13 Series, Rabbit Valley gdhknives Competitions 13 10-24-2012 05:52 PM
Sockmonkeys Rabbit 4VRYNG Non Crawler RC's 1 05-12-2012 04:13 PM
Rabbit Vs. Snake BUBBA069 Chit Chat 7 01-15-2007 06:21 PM