Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Portal boxes.... whos made 'em??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Portal boxes.... whos made 'em??

Alright... enough with adding on these reduction units, who's attempted to build true portals? I've seen some pictures floating around the net of ones off a Robbe(sp?) rig but the price tag on those suckers is outta this world and they probably couldn't handle our crawling abuse.

SO..... who has 'em? Who's trying to build them? Who's attempted to build them but failed?

I don't want chit-chat I want pics! I can't decide to build hybrid solid axles with Maxx crap or go full width with X-Factor axles. If I could get some "bolt-on" portal boxes for my TXT axles that'd be sweet, ones that could not only add some width but allow the use of Maxx hubs if one wanted.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Portal boxes.... whos made 'em??

This won't surprise you at all... I am attempting to booty fab some up.

Two problems; First is fitting it inside a wheel, and also not making the whole thing tooooo insanely wide.

Second is me not having a lathe and mill

I've made some VERY interesting discoveries and you can expect a report later on with some pics and mock-up

The engineer in me oh so loves this hobby
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I would like to be able to build some from parts either from the LHS or from extra parts.

I too have many ideas running through my head... last night I though I had it but then after a few measurements I had to toss it out the door. I haven't given up just yet... I still have a few more ideas and things to try.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Toyo, dont you run some sort of offset reduction unit.
Some friends and I have been toying with this idea for quite some time now but I havent really been able to come up with anything feasable.
Would it be possible for an offset gear reduction to be mated with a traditional RC knuckle?
I can picture the gear reduction bolted to the knuckle and the stub axle shaft used as the pinion driver.
Is anyone following me?
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The reduction unit I run, GD-600 is too large to fit inside my Jumbo Maxx wheel... I've tried

This is the same idea I had at first, mate the reduction unit to the knuckle but would need to find one small enough to fit inside the wheel diameter.

My main reason to wanting a portal box is to be able to have added reduction and more ground clearance. I also want to run my Kongs with my TXT/Jugg axles but without buying Clod to Maxx adapters. Once a person does make a bolt-on portal box, it'll help our little hobby grow even faster I bet!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Okay.. I didn't measure the GD-600 well enough

I pulled it all out to actually test fit it for me and everyone else. I just bolted it right up to the Maxx wheel via the prop adapter that came in the GD-600 kit, tight fit but if you thread it through, it goes fine.

Main issue with this type of setup is the bearings in GD-600, they won't be able to handle this type of abuse for much time, I doubt that a full run could be had when crawling.

If I start to feel frisky enough I might just chop up a stock knuckle and stubby shaft that goes through the knuckle.... I'll see what happens :?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I need to stop before I really mess up my rig

I'm only a couple more steps away from having it ready to go but I really need to stop for the night before I mess something up
Old 05-15-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

[waterboy guy voice]YOU CAN DOOOOO EEETT!!![/waterboy guy voice]

What I was using was clod axle gears, it would be a 3:1 reduction... How big are Kong rims? And how big are E-Maxx rims?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #9
The Wheels Keep Turning

toyofast, i love you signature picture. thats awesome!
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Toyo, any news on those gd600's? My crawler is allmost running, I may just have to join you on a crawl.
MaxxZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxZilla
Toyo, any news on those gd600's? My crawler is allmost running, I may just have to join you on a crawl.
What kind of news are you after? They work very well when mated between a motor and tranny Everyone is doing it..... there cheap and easy to regear to most ratios via 48 pitch pinions.

I'm kinda in a stand still now... didn't, err... couldn't make it to the Rock Acholics event this weekend, have the Juggy 60% tore apart and I just gave money to Jay K for a parts rig(Phase III of Da-Juggy coming soon!)....
Old 05-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Rim sizes? Its impossible to fit one in a clod rim (well, harder than worthwhile!!!) so I'm wondering what the other options are....
Old 05-15-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Rim sizes? Its impossible to fit one in a clod rim (well, harder than worthwhile!!!) so I'm wondering what the other options are....
A post I made on another board:

Yeah, I think the only way a true portal box will withstand crawling is if it's made out of aluminum or another metal. The box will need to be one with the knuckle to be able to withstand crawling abuse. Big bearings will be needed too.

Was sifting through old posts around the net... and found some pics.

Nice setup on thess pages, though I can't read it :?
http://www.modellbau-mey.de.vu/
http://home.tiscalinet.ch/makau/

I know these are the same pics that have been tossed around in the past but when will someone do more than drool over them?
Old 05-15-2004, 11:53 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In response to your question......

Yeah a GD-600 could fit into a standard Clod rim but some trimming would be needed to allow it to get all the way into the rim.

Major issue with using a reduction unit as a portal box is that it's too weak. It wouldn't be able to withstand much abuse for long, plastic construction and weak bearings that would fail after a run or two. A real portal box needs to be made like the above links and pictures.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I will do more than drool over them!!!!!

For my ME project, I've decided on a 1/4 scale RC truck.... which includes making axles among several other things. So I am going to use a ring gear out of like a big grinder or something like that (They have about a 2" ring gear.. which equates to an 8" ring gear to scale ;);)) But they only have 2.8:1 reduction :( So portal boxes will go on as well :grinpimp: My stepdad has access to a mill, lathe, and a whole shop. I can make a program to run on his XY mill and make the boxes, with room for gears, some beefy bearings, link mounts on the back of the boxes, etc etc. My goal is about a 8:1 reduction in the axles, and maayyyybe an automatic out of a small quad, along with its engine. Mayyyybe. (probably... ok, yeah )

Just time. Expect to see it finished in 2-4 years

iiiin the mean time, I'm drawing up some stuff to make a few without a mill, slow going but progress... I plan on having a full mock up of just one in about a month or less.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

From my counting those portals aren't even a 2:1 reduction :( Still got the clearance bonus though!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 12:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Also, if you go to Http://www.altavista.com and click translate you can enter in the URL of the page and see it in english.

In order to get past his retarded no right click deal, simple click your center mouse button then double right click... usually works.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I have been contemplating making one from an E-Maxx idler gear and a pinion gear. I'd have to find the pitch of the iders though.

Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer
I have been contemplating making one from an E-Maxx idler gear and a pinion gear. I'd have to find the pitch of the iders though.

Destroyer
Not sure if you saw it or not but I posted a thread in general for a parts place with TONS of gears, in all sorts of pitch's, cheap too.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
From my counting those portals aren't even a 2:1 reduction :( Still got the clearance bonus though!!!
Yep. but a high reduction wasn't the goal. If you wanna have this, you may look at planetary gears or, alternatively, a high reduction already in the diff. case.

Quote:
In order to get past his retarded no right click deal, simple click your center mouse button then double right click... usually works.
What are you talking about?

Hmm, a model in 1/4 scale with portals and gear redcution higher than 2:1 ... for rock crawling....and combustion engine with high revs.... let's see some results - we're watching this space :-)
makau is offline   Reply With Quote