Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Time to upgrade. Which car now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Time to upgrade. Which car now?

After getting a Losi Mini Rock Crawler and playing with it indoors the last few months it was a blast. But now it is getting nicer and time to go outside with something not so small!

I have been looking around My friend and i can not decide between the Axial Ax10s or the Wraith.

Any suggestions on either? Kit or RTR? Id like a kit but don't know if i could do more than 400 at the moment.
FocusMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Time to upgrade. Which car now?

***My experience and opinion only***

Become a member or Tower Hobbies and get the discount off everything you buy (15% discount no matter how much you spend)....then you can surely afford to build a kit!!! Keep the electronics to a minimum and you'll be JUST fine.

I love my Wraith, I don't care what they say - It is simply awesome!! Yes, it is almost too easy to drive at times, but I find challenges constantly. The SCX10s are more scale and you have to drive them like a real vehicle when outside...the Wraith simply powers of most stuff.

The AX10s are a happy medium. Rock Racers with a "crawler" style chassis but now they are starting to incorporate the scale bodies and tires to bring the two groups together.

I currently own all 3 - multiples of each and I have to say, the AX10s only get driven when company comes over or I want someone to "Try" out RCs for the first time. TO ME, the AX10s are a great starting point and the Wraith and SCX10s are "the end all be all". Not sure what niche you are looking to fill, but anything will be a far cry from the indoor losi crawling you have done all winter.

I'm not going to tell you which one you "should" buy, but I hope the info I provided gives you some added info to make the best choice for you.

KIT BUILD KIT BUILD!!! An SCX10 Dingo kit is 249 - tower club discount get it down to around 215$ A Wriath Kit, tower club price 265$. You get free shipping over 150$!

Ebay your electronics or source them from the Classified section - BAM! You kept it below 400$

I think I just talked myself into another kit - Thanks!!!! WOOHHOOOO!!!

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-19-2014 at 09:46 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Wow, Awesome response! I am really leaning towards the wraith! What about the Turnigy Trackstar stuff from HobbyKing? The motor and esc mainly, I have read some good things about them for being as cheap as they are. Or maybe piece together from ebay like you said and get better used.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Honestly, I love my brushed stuff. If you start putting brushless power in these cars, you will have to upgrade everything in the drive train to handle the power. No need for that much power. Brushed electronics have a leg up when you're driving slow anyway - much more torque and way smoother. Its not until you get a sensored brushless system than your slow speeds out perform a brushed motor/ESC.

Can you really afford all the maintenance and upgrades due to breakage? Why risk it when a nice brushed motor and ESC will do you just fine. I think the Axial AE-2 ESC is a SUPER speed controller considering what you're going to use it for. Couple that with a nice rebuild-able (my choice is Team Brood) motor, and you get a great performing, reliable electronics package for minimal $$.

I have never run Trackstar stuff, so I cant tell you anything about their products. I have read good and bad.....but I can say this....I have been in RCs since 1991, and I choice to stay away from Trackstar product. Personal choice.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thank you again do you have any links handy for the motors?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'll PM you some stuff to look at....give ya some options not just want I mentioned
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks! about to look through the message now. I think i just got really LUCKY on EbaY and caught a poison spider for 280 shipped that JUST went up.

Time to upgrade. Which car now? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to upgrade Wicked Klown Venom Creeper 7 10-30-2010 06:56 AM
thrashed it....time to upgrade. crazyorigin HPI Wheely King 5 07-28-2010 05:46 AM
Time for a servo upgrade losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 01-20-2010 03:08 PM
Upgrade time !!! Crawlininga Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 12-16-2009 08:46 PM