Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nylint Newbie Needs Confirmation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nylint Newbie Needs Confirmation

Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I've searched through many of the posts and this is my understanding of how these rigs work. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The 1:6 rigs have "proportional steering" and "proportional throttle". The 1:18 rigs don't. I'm not new to the RC world (or maybe I am), but I've never heard those terms before. I would call it "variable" instead of "proportional", but either way, that's what it sounds like to me.

Does this mean that with the 1/18 scale Nylints, the steering and the throttle is pretty much binary. Full left or full right. Or full throttle or none?

I have two older 1:10 stadium trucks just sitting in the garage. A Team Losi LXT and a Team Associated RC10T. Both are fully electric. When you guys list "hobby grade electronics" as an upgrade to the 1:18 Nylints, I assume that means something what I might already have in my stadium trucks (like the ESC and steering servo), and that would allow for full control of steering and throttle on the little 1:18 rigs, if they don't already have that?

We are planning to get a 1:18 rig for my wife's best friend's son (he's 4), because I know it'll be slow enough so he won't break anything, and be capable enough in the dirt so he doesn't get stuck. But as I look at these things, I'm already hooked. They do what my stadium trucks never did, which is probably why I never use them.

I don't have one yet myself (either a 1:6 or a 1:18 ), but now I want one!

Thanks again,
JasonA
JasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Well, if you're looking to get into crawling I would definately go with a TLT from www.ultimatehobbies.com for 70.00 shipped. You already have electronics so it will be very cheap. With a little bit of modding and extending the chassis, new tranny and tires with a new body you'll be crawling! Good luck!

Oh and yes, you are right about the proportional throttle/steering idea.
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick reply. I see the value of going with a more mainstream rig like what you suggested, but these Nylints are just so "cute". Plus, I'm the guy who takes the "underdog", spends way too much time/money modifying it, and ends up with something he possibly could have bought for much less out of the box.

I'm no stranger to modding though. We have a 1:1 Jeep Rubicon with an Nth* long arm kit, ORO AiROCK airbag system, full plates/sliders, etc. I know I could get a Jeep Wrangler body for the TLT, but the Nylints just have so much appeal to me.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You are pretty much dead on with your first post... variable throttle and steering control on the 1/6, and all or nothing on the 1/18. I have had both and I prefer my 1/6 although I have had tons of fun with both. The 1/18 is much more fun when converted to hobby grade elec's ( reciever, servo, esc), but, I still prefer my 1/6.

Here's links to two of my 1/18's and my 1/6 just for ideas, they can be made to be very capable.
Nyint stick buildup
1/18th tuber buildup
Finally built a 1:6
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again. I bought a 1/18 on eBay last night, but my wife insists that she's going to wrap it up for me for Christmas and it'll be from our 15 month old daughter. Okay fine, slight concession.

I have a Team Losi LXT and a Team Associated RC10T, and neither have been used in AGES. The LXT was mine and the RC10T was my brother's, but we didn't really use them much. So I have a set of "free" electronics for the 1/18 when I get it. And that'll probably be the first thing I do -- convert the electronics.

By the way, when you guys mention circuit boards on these things -- that's all to support the STOCK electronics, correct? (I would assume so.) Once a vehicle gets converted to HG electronics, all the PCBs that may be in the vehicle now (on a 1/18 anyway) are obsolete?

Edit: thanks for those links -- I love that second link, your tube chassis 1/18. Great looking rig.

Last edited by JasonA; 11-14-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #6

correct again, once you get hg electrics you can just shot out the old board or do whatever you fancy with it, but either way your nylint don't need it anymore.
bendohhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the other great thing about the HG electronics is the size! no damn flat oblong board to work around! it will also allow you to use better batteries (well, not sure on 1/18, but it was on 1/6).

the 1/18 look like fun... I had a 1/6 and loved it to all end, but never drove anymore so I sold it... looking at the tlt to start a new build myself..
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote