Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Carbon steering links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Carbon steering links?

Anyone tried it? I've got some 4 & 5mm rod coming to make some upper links and bits, just wondering if it would be up to the job for steering or would just cause deflection?

I guess if you run your main steering link in front of the axle it is also not as resilient as ali or ti for taking the knocks....

Thanks
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Default Re: Carbon steering links?

I've seen them made from carbon arrow shafts and they hold up fine. I'd stick to alloy as the weight isn't gonna hurt anyway.
TraumaChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Carbon Fiber is usually only strong on a particular axis. Like the rod you're talking would likely be strong under compression and pulling, so the directions it would need to be strong to operate the steering. But it's relatively weak in other directions. So if you get it hung up on a rock and push to hard it's likely to break, or at least start to. Like TraumaChaser said, the weight difference between CF and Titanium or Aluminum isn't that large, may as well stick to the metal.
jaqattack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Don't know about steering links, however I've made carbon fiber push rods for the tail rotors on my RC Heli's, all the way up to my 800 size Heli.

Those things takes a constant beating and I've never had one fail on any size Heli.

My guess is you'd be Google to go with zero issues as long as you only need straight rods.

I'd use JB Weld to hold in the rod ends though. That's what I use on the push rods I've built, I've never had one pull out, nor can I get them out ever once the JB Weld cures.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
"GOD SPEED"

I run carbon links on all of my scx10 trucks uppers and lower my steering link are however metal cause they all required a bend.

"GOD SPEED"
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks chaps,

It was just for shits and giggles and I've got some rod coming to do my upper links with so wondered what experiences folks have had.... Again, not overly bothered by a heavier shaft up front in that location so not a problem using metal...

The heli application will demand quite a bit of torque but I'd hope you wouldn't impact test them much there! I presume you used jb weld plastic not the metal gear? I was gonna use an epoxy....
Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Carbon fiber as well as pretty much all other composites don't do well with impact and will de-laminate if a significant enough impact happens. It pretty much will turn back into cloth or splinter. Carbon is particularly bad about splintering.

Just our of curiosity these shafts fiber-wound or woven cloth tube?

For uppers it will be awesome and may be worth experimenting with other applications but don't be surprised if it doesn't make it.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I've used 3mm carbon tubing for steering links, servo drag links, and upper links that were just ca glued into traxxas ball ends with no problem. A had to cross drill and pin the ball ends on the rear upper links but none of the others. If done right they are rock solid.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Carbon fiber as well as pretty much all other composites don't do well with impact and will de-laminate if a significant enough impact happens. It pretty much will turn back into cloth or splinter. Carbon is particularly bad about splintering.

For uppers it will be awesome and may be worth experimenting with other applications but don't be surprised if it doesn't make it.
Please don't tell my carbon fiber down hill mountain bike that.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Take a look… keep watching they'll get to impact testing…

santa cruz carbon fram test bideo
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Carbon-fiber will splinter eventually if it's scraped enough. The resin that holds the carbon fibers together is brittle. The carbon fibers provide tensile strength (but not shear strength) and keeps the composite from flexing to the point that the resin cracks, and the resin provides compressive strength and keeps the carbon fibers stuck together. Damage either one of the components and the durability goes down fast. Things that are expected to endure impacts and scrapes, like mountain bike frames, mitigate this problem by being overbuilt to the point that they weigh the same as aluminum, but without the repetitive-stress-fatigue issues that aluminum has. Carbon-fiber road bike frames are much lighter because they're not overbuilt the same way, but as a result they're much more susceptible to breaking after minor damage, as compared with aluminum road bike frames. And the thing about composites is, when they splinter they lose all their strength at once and collapse (think of anything made of wood) -- this was a big problem with four-spoke Spinergy carbon fiber wheels back in the late 90s -- whereas metal will deform progressively so you have time to deal with the problem before it fails completely.

I have titanium steering links on my Wraith. They work great. I have no desire to upgrade them further.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-04-2016 at 07:57 AM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I have to be honest I have no idea which type they are. I just ordered some 4 & 5mm from a pro kite shop. Sounds like another chap has used 3mm so may try that next for upper links dependant on results...

I am aware of their potential impact issue but my primary concern was flex under load if we're all bound up.

My plan re fixing was to drill out a revo and glue them in.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill View Post
Take a look… keep watching they'll get to impact testing…

santa cruz carbon fram test bideo
Lol.... I've got a Santa Cruz Blur TRC and I gotta say its took a beating and still in one bit 👍

But the other chap is correct, they do chip where some metal would scar....

Carbon steering links? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon fiber steering links scoutdawg General Crawlers 7 01-08-2014 10:57 PM
Carbon Fiber Links pinckbrown Axial XR10 1 12-25-2010 05:17 PM
Carbon Arrow Links?? Rooney7783 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 10-16-2005 01:07 PM