Rock Stacker

Default my jeep

red90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Old rear links

New rear end

this shot gives you a pretty good look at the pen idea i heard about and tried...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

very clean mod, looks great; but the kinda crookedly trimmed body takes away from it a bit

what's the wheelbase on it now? are you going to put the shocks back on?
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

haha considering i cut with a heated exacto knife i think its damn clean! haha i miss my dremal... umm im not to sure on the length o the WB but ill grab a tape when i find one today and get that for you. i donthink im going to put the shockes back on they just stiffen the whole thing up again and therfor i loose articulation.. she flexs pretty well as you can see but i need a stiffer rod... the pen isnt very stiff and when its on a hill sideways she flexes and it goes "wonky" somtimes.. ill try and get a picture of that for ya. but camera phones suck!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #5

I was able to find small steel spacers to use instead of pen bodies, very stiff. The threaded rod I used fits right through, I welded a washer to the end of the threaded rod to fix one end and I used a nylock nut to hold everything together at the other end. I'll have to take some pics and post them up when I get home. I did this for both front and rear axles and my wheelbase is ~9.5" now. It works much better than stock.
sstlaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Alright i took some meausurments and here they are.. her wheelbase is 12,1/2" long. 7" wide so thats stock width i havent done anything to make it wider... and its 2,1/2" high..from surface to battery plate (belly)

i made another mod but il get u some pictures during the day it stiffend up the rear alot and i even kept the pen the same as it is i just used another pen.. ill do a writeup later... should i make another thread for it though?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well i toldya i would take pictues and i did. in this photo you can see that i attatched the pen to the rear bed with a screw wich took care of the "wonky" problem... and lifted the body up and made it sit level with the front so theres no sag anymore..

And in the picture below.. i took this before i added the extra pen... as you can see i jammed the shock stanction into the pen so the axle wouldny just slide off the pen.

Before

After

And this is just the rear of of the jeep. i took "Scissors" this time and tried to shave it and make it even... i still need the dremal to do this to my standards. by now you all should know i like the clean simple look. i need pic request's if anyone wants to see anything to do with this mod please let me know also if anyone has seem somthing simillar done i would like to see it
Old 11-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

GOOD LOOK…red90xj but it would be even more beautiful with SHOCKS..... and it would be MORE REAL.....MORE REAL ....
texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Im fighting with the idea of replacing the pen with a shock? im not sure wich is best.. i havent even gotten a chance to test this out yet... i might not even like this.
ill keep you posted

cmon i want some comments.. i know it isnt much but does anyone have idea's? or done anything simillar to this?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i like it a lot it looks great. just put shocks on there
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

little update... the main pen broke.. it was flexig too much and just snapped.. so now she sit's in half in the corner of the room with only the wire holding the axle to the jeep.

my idea's of the mod.

when you do somthing like this (if you do).. make sure you get a very strong stiff pen.

also this mod can creat TOO much articulation.. i noticed the front end would climb over a rock sideways.. and the front would tip. and the rear axle would stay both wheels on the ground.. and i have tried everything to recover from it but nothig seems to work.

i think this mod needs work. i havent seen anyone else do the same as this and i have asked for any info if anyone had done so.. and got no reply

ill keep you posted on what happends next with it. im now going to go find another pen
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default Updated

WELL after a LOOOONNNNGGG time... and a bit more changing around.... the pen mod has gone out the window completly (i didnt like it)
and now i ahve come up with this http://] http://] http://] Its been improved slowly and now i got it where i want it... BUT my tires are just too wide as you can see in this picture here http://] they are just rubbing wayyy to much any suggestions? (aside from replacing them or cutting the frame) http://]

Tell me what you guys think if it now
Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

red90xj,
your crawler took value,
I like it with these shocks. And its tires gives him a good look.

Good work.
texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

how are those shocks mounted on the top...looks like a great rig.....keep the post coming
JIMMYBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

the rear shocks are mounted with a long bolt wich is attatched to a peice of plastic... wich i attatched the shocks to each end and it swivels wait a sec and ill get u a few pics
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

http:// heres one im getting another
Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

http:// ta-da! you can pretty much see how they work
Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I just figured i would chuck this one in here too... i STILL want some suggestions for my tire/frame rubbing problem so please shoot! and save the flamming

http://
Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

compliments on your jeep!! what you recently did made a huge differance.

Clearance on your tires is a tough one? I know you dont' want to cut too much fender out(or you loose the jeep thing). You could go wider? It would also help your stability and overall wheel travel. Minus is that is will steer abit harder with stock electrics.

My tires are outside the body. You could also raise your body up? This would increase your center of gravity though, but alittle would not hurt.

Overall I like your nylint, you know alot of wheel travel is cool, but not always necessary?
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

oh yah no doubt.. i learned too much wheel travel SUCKS! thats why i ditched the pen idea.. i just have a bad tire rub on the front now