Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: D90 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default D90 Questions

Afternoon All,

So the wife has been harassing me for my Christmas ideas. Ive been tossing around the D90 as Ive always liked the looks of these. Im curious how 1) the truck was to build from the kit and 2) how it performs ? Ive got a few class II rigs and building a class III as I type but never owned a class I.

Any help is appreciated. My only other thought is a CC-01 but I honestly don't care for how plasticy (new word!!) the chassis looks.
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: D90 Questions

I really enjoyed my D90 build. With the exception of the useless nylon punishers (skip straight to steel punishers, Junfacs or MIPs) and overmatched shocks (Proline Scalers work much better than stock), it's very well engineered with excellent material quality. Several components (axles, tranny, transfer case) come pre-assembled and should be taken apart to lube. Apart from that, it's a pretty straightforward mechanical build. The body and interior come together nicely, but how it goes will depend on how intricate you want to get with the paint job and detailing.

As far as performance is concerned, it's a great trail rig, but I wouldn't recommend comping it with the D90 body. That body is quite top-heavy and will limit performance in challenging terrain. My D90 is a fair bit less capable than my leaf-sprung TF2, and it's nowhere near my SCX10. The plus side of the top-heaviness is that it makes ordinary trails a lot more interesting and challenging. If you're willing to ditch the D90 body in favor of a lighter, less top heavy body, I suspect the platform could be made very capable. The chassis is rock solid, so it should make for a good starting point. The one thing that is missing vs a comp-ready SCX10 would be the ability to get different ratios at the front vs rear axles without heavy mods.

The TF2 would also be worth a look. It can be made quite capable with a modified leaf setup or by switching to links. It has a neat looking hardbody that is nowhere near as top-heavy as the D90.

I don't have a CC01 (I have a CR01), but from what I've seen of the CC01s, I would agree with your inclination to stay away from all that plastic.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i don't have a CC-01,my D90 is alloy Chassis Kit for D90,and 80% of the body is alloly,for now everything is good,and i upgrade my motor to tenshock SC411 verypowerfull.
mike_like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I really enjoyed my D90 build. With the exception of the useless nylon punishers (skip straight to steel punishers, Junfacs or MIPs) and overmatched shocks (Proline Scalers work much better than stock), it's very well engineered with excellent material quality. Several components (axles, tranny, transfer case) come pre-assembled and should be taken apart to lube. Apart from that, it's a pretty straightforward mechanical build. The body and interior come together nicely, but how it goes will depend on how intricate you want to get with the paint job and detailing.

As far as performance is concerned, it's a great trail rig, but I wouldn't recommend comping it with the D90 body. That body is quite top-heavy and will limit performance in challenging terrain. My D90 is a fair bit less capable than my leaf-sprung TF2, and it's nowhere near my SCX10. The plus side of the top-heaviness is that it makes ordinary trails a lot more interesting and challenging. If you're willing to ditch the D90 body in favor of a lighter, less top heavy body, I suspect the platform could be made very capable. The chassis is rock solid, so it should make for a good starting point. The one thing that is missing vs a comp-ready SCX10 would be the ability to get different ratios at the front vs rear axles without heavy mods.

The TF2 would also be worth a look. It can be made quite capable with a modified leaf setup or by switching to links. It has a neat looking hardbody that is nowhere near as top-heavy as the D90.

I don't have a CC01 (I have a CR01), but from what I've seen of the CC01s, I would agree with your inclination to stay away from all that plastic.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Thanx New2. Pretty good write up. While watching some Youtube vids I did notice how top heavy they seem but I have a couple of thoughts on that - 1) You are right to where it makes it quite a bit more challenging to try and trail it without rolling over every 3 feet and 2) I planned on turning it into an actual truck so I imagine cutting off 80% of the hardtop would help alleviate how top heavy it really is anyway.

As far as the TF2 - while they are nice it seems everyone I see crawling has either a SCX or TF2. I always try to run/be different than what most are running. I would say they are very capable but too common for my taste.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I hear you about the TF2, though I suspect most people take the easy way out and link it instead of figuring out how to tune the leafs. If you haven't already seen it, check out the D90 pickup body that RC4WD just released. It's a bit pricey at $199, but it looks seriously cool and would save a lot of trouble if you're not experienced with styrene. I do think it would help with top heaviness, as would adding weight down low. And if the price makes you wince, you could always sell off the kit body to offset the cost a bit.

If you do a Gelande, you must start a thread. I still think we need a Gelande forum here, but I don't get to make those calls. In the meantime, the more Gelande threads, the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Im not Headquake by any means but I do dabble with enough styrene to where I will do my own work. Worst case is it doesn't work out and Ill buy the truck body anyways.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

BTW, love the screen name. Born and raised in Miami Beach.... :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

I also have a 80% of the body is alloly.what is more I also wanna to upgrade my motor to tenshock SC411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_like View Post
i don't have a CC-01,my D90 is alloy Chassis Kit for D90,and 80% of the body is alloly,for now everything is good,and i upgrade my motor to tenshock SC411 verypowerfull.
Fuamuler is offline   Reply With Quote

D90 Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another D90 from the UK. Pete Attryde Axial SCX-10 37 01-18-2013 05:00 PM
D90 kikcaffine 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 05-30-2010 05:03 PM
d90 buster22 General Scale Talk 0 05-04-2009 01:15 PM
Who's D90? BGGruff Chit Chat 8 08-21-2007 07:56 AM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM