Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default welder

I was looking for opinions on a welder. I'm trying to decide on a either an oxy acetelyne type or a small arc hobby welder. I'm just as good on both and have no prepeffence. the oxy acetelyne type is a lot cheaper, to buy at the beginning but i would have to fill the bottles repeatedly and the arc welder would be more to buy and my parents would make me start paying the electric bill with an arc welder. so whats your guys opinion.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: welder

MIG

Easiest to use and easy to upgrade to using gas if wanted. Mine is still simple flux but I really don't have room nor have I been doing much welding since I sold my other 1:1 rig.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If I were you I'd go to harbor freight and get a small wire feed mig welder. There perfect for the small projects like cages. I use a lincon electric for the cages I built, but also did the welding on my 1:1. I wouldnt do that with a smaller welder, but they work great for the small stuff like this.
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ya I'd just get a simple Mig welder because the are the easiest and arent to expensive at around 150-160
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

migs are more expensive up north. the cheapest welder i have found ais the hobby arc welder and the oxy acetelyne type. the oxy type is only $70 and i don't think i'll need it for too long so i was kind of thinking of getting it. especially since if i get a wleder i want to beable to use it for a 1:1 rig when i get one. and i've never welded with a mig welder yet. thats the next part of my class.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yea school bus is right. If you can, you should get the upgradable ones, You will use it a lot more than you think, and its nice to have the power.
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ok i'll wait til i take mig welding in school before i dimiss it until i get a better job. I've look at welders and its the price thats killer i'm only 16 and work at a grocery store it will take me at least 2 months just to save close to enough to buy a relatively good one. (remember our cnd money aint worth that much) and i'll also have to start paying part of the electrical bill and the I know if i want a good one i'll need one that runs on 220V not 110V especially if i do any good welding on a 1:1 rig.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

actually the mig is not the easiest to weld with- it might be simple and easy to use but it is the toughest one to master. the tig is very easy to use and makes strong and better looking welds. but between the choices you gave (oxy-acet or arc) I would go with the arc for sure. but if you have the patience and knowledge any will do - trust me I just built a 18 foot flatbed trailer and used mostly a mig, but did some with Arc(the base of the frame because it welds super strong) and did a little tig( the fenders cause they need to look good! thats just my two cents
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I just bought a flux core welder from Harbor Freight for $120. It seems to work pretty well and will work great for any R/C application.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote