Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HELP!! Steering link length for Axial High Steer Knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HELP!! Steering link length for Axial High Steer Knuckles

Hey guys,
I have searched and searched and can't find the proper steering link length for the Axial High Steer Knuckles. I need the measurement eye to eye if possible.
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: HELP!! Steering link length for Axial High Steer Knuckles

140mm
Give or take 1/2 mm
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

When I bout the metal link kit from axial I used those links for the high steer it works just fine for me.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

What vehicle are we working on?? Do you need the long link from knuckle to knuckle or the short link from the knuckle to the servo (or both)??

With an SCX10 I'm getting 136mm on the stock aluminum long knuckle to knuckle link, shorter link is 56mm. On the Wraith, the stock knuckle to knuckle link is 198.5mm and I'm getting 109mm on the short servo link, but this is with stock knuckles, c-hubs, etc., etc. on both crawlers. If stock links work with then these eye-to-eye figures should work.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am working on the scx10. The only thing with stock links on the high steer is you mite get a little tow in but nothing that is really that bad.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humve View Post
I am working on the scx10. The only thing with stock links on the high steer is you mite get a little tow in but nothing that is really that bad.
My SCX10 and Wraith were lined up straight with the stock steering. The Wraith developed some major toe-in when I installed the STRC linkage up front and again with the recent rear steer conversion (also STRC linkage). I used some 3x7x0.5mm shims between the rod ends and the drag links to set toe back to near zero.

With SCX10 you'll need 3x6x0.5mm shims or spacers if you decide you want to remove the toe-in, they're the same diameter as the Axial aluminum link. The link on the STRC Wraith links are 7mm diameter hence the 3x7x0.5mm shims.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, my problem is that I'm using RC4WD rod ends. I measured my one eye to eye and it's at about 144mm. This gives me a bit of toe OUT but at full throw, both knuckles go as far as they possible can in either direction. When I had it set so I had no toe in or out, the inside tire would turn all the way in but the outside wouldn't go as far....

Last edited by joe.bielski; 07-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.bielski View Post
When I it set so I had no toe in or out, the inside tire would turn all the way in but the outside wouldn't go as far....
That's called Steering Ackermann and may be intentional. Mine is just the opposite for some reason, outside tire turns fully but the inside tire has more distance it could travel and is not quite a sharp as the outer tire. Reverse Ackermann is used on some race cars, but seems pointless on a crawler. From what I'm reading it seems it would hinder low speed turning.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
That's called Steering Ackermann and may be intentional. Mine is just the opposite for some reason, outside tire turns fully but the inside tire has more distance it could travel and is not quite a sharp as the outer tire. Reverse Ackermann is used on some race cars, but seems pointless on a crawler. From what I'm reading it seems it would hinder low speed turning.
That would make sense!!! Ok, So I'm going to adjust my link so I still have some Ackermann and less toe out. I've read here that sometimes zero Ackermann also isn't all that great.

I'll change my link to about 142mm eye to eye

HELP!! Steering link length for Axial High Steer Knuckles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Behind The Axle Steering (BTA) Kit & High Steer Knuckles Brandon Axial AX-10 Scorpion 117 03-09-2012 06:58 AM
VP high steer knuckles/drag link steering set up SCORPIAN670 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 11-30-2009 02:10 PM
Will Vanquish Axial High Steer Steering Knuckles make my truck steer tighter? blue bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-09-2009 12:30 AM