Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: partial droop shocks??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default partial droop shocks??

I am looking for a 50/50 droop/sprung shock. I dont know if there are any that are actually made like that or if you have to get an internal sprung shock and cut the spring in half and place the spring on either side of the piston..

I have seen the internal sprung shocks but im not sure if thats what iam after. How are the boom racing shocks and the g-made shocks (internal spring versions).

is there a 50/50 sprung/droop shock on the market? i will be putting these on my scx10

thanks
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: partial droop shocks??

I have big bores on my crawler set up with a spring under the piston and a mini t spring on the outside. Neither spring is long enough to top it's available travel so they kind of play catch with each other.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Are internal springs the only way to achieve droop setting? I Is it not possible by fiddling with the rebound setting when building the shocks and adjusting the preload accordingly? Or will those two just alter the ride height? Sorry if
I'm a little off topic O.P.
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You don't want rebound in crawler shocks. It's hard to get rebound even on all 4 shocks, and you get some odd performance behavior with too much rebound. Plus, rebound generally makes the shock want to stand up, whereas droop you want the shock to lay down.

When you say 50/50 droop/sprung, in my opinion what you are describing is a properly built shock. A shock built right will have some downtravel at normal right height, but still keeps the vehicle sprung partially.

So set up your shocks right, and you will have what you are looking for. If you want your vehicle lower overall, you could also try a lowering kit to mount the shocks higher on the chassis, which will lower the stance.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 09-12-2016 at 07:57 AM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
You don't want rebound in crawler shocks. It's hard to get rebound even on all 4 shocks, and you get some odd performance behavior with too much rebound. Plus, rebound generally makes the shock want to stand up, whereas droop you want the shock to lay down.

When you say 50/50 droop/sprung, in my opinion what you are describing is a properly built shock. A shock built right will have some downtravel at normal right height, but still keeps the vehicle sprung partially.

So set up your shocks right, and you will have what you are looking for. If you want your vehicle lower overall, you could also try a lowering kit to mount the shocks higher on the chassis, which will lower the stance.
So by no rebound I'm assuming it means to build the shock with the shaft pushed in a good amount right? Cause (correct me if I'm wrong) building a shock and filling the silicone oil with the shaft barely pushed in will give me lots of rebound right? Thanks for the help!
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I think people confuse static sag with "droop"

Static sag is the percentage of total shock travel used when the vehicle is just sitting there. A 50/50 used in this way would be that the shock can travel 50% of total travel for down travel and 50% up travel from its static sag position.

A true droop setup is when there is negative pressure under the piston. A 50/50 setup would be like White Trash described. And yes, all shocks should have rebound, how much depends on what weight shock oil (damping).
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

besides the big bores what shocks are good to use? any on the internal sprung shocks out on the market worth it?

with the big bores what length and are you using the dlux bottom spring retainer?

once again thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My big bores are 4" with modded caps. I run the rod end sideways rather than straight up to absorb some of their length.

Currently I'm running cut down cups but there will be a set dlux no preload cups in my mailbox when I get home.

I have pink and orange springs and the pink are fully collapsed at ride height, orange is about 3/16" from bottomed. As they are set up now they are more of a droop setup but once I install the new cups I'll swap to a longer and slightly stiffer spring in place of the pink then it will beore of a 50/50.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

can you post pics of your setup? i have the new brazin hi/low chassis and with stock scx10 shocks it sits too high and defeats the purpose of the chassis. iam really unsure what to get for shocks. maybe the big bores like you are running but i really would just like to order a set of shocks as a whole.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You can see the top cap in this pic. If you want something else it'll be a bit before I'm home.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yea i remember doing that to some of my tlt crawler back in the day. i just had the tierod ends going vertically.

partial droop shocks?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
droop shocks pk4 Newbie General 4 01-15-2011 09:37 AM
shocks for droop? Col. Sanders Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 12-05-2009 02:19 PM
Droop Shocks ctcballer26 General Crawlers 6 10-14-2008 01:33 PM
droop shocks marlboroman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 02-26-2008 08:20 AM