Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need painting help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #1

Default Need painting help!

I just got my 1:6 Nylint and I want to re-paint it all. What type of paint do I need? I plan on painting the body, roll cage, bumper, and everything else thats plastic. Thanks!
NYCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

krylon fusion, wipe the body down with rubbing alcohol first to help the paint stick better
-Dalton
hotrodzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ehh I primered the heck out of mine after I sanded it with 300 grit then sanded the primer with 600 grit and painted it and it came out smooth. I used some automotive spray paint for the body and header paint for the roll cage and what not from Checkers.
1/18th_Nylint_Auzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/18th_Nylint_Auzzy
ehh I primered the heck out of mine after I sanded it with 300 grit then sanded the primer with 600 grit and painted it and it came out smooth. I used some automotive spray paint for the body and header paint for the roll cage and what not from Checkers.
what he said x2
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #5

Cool, I used Krylon Fusion on the bumper, side rails, and roll cage. I also installed headlights. I will post some pics as soon as I can!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #6

I see a few people have a spare tire mounted either on the bed or on the back of the truck. Any links on how to mount it? Also, can I use 2.2" tires? Will they attach?
One more thing.....I see people also have colored rings around their rims? Do they just paint part of the rim or are those seperate rims?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #7

Krylon Fusion is also what I was told would work, I'd suggest cleaning everything well with de-natured alachol that should help the paint adhere to the plastic......... someone also told me just plain automotive spray touch up paint, I't think also plain model paint would be good as well.

Forum info says you're from NYC.......... I grew up on the Island, was in Central Park a few weeks ago walking around I could not help but think about how would some of the places would be for the rock crawlers, Have you tried any? We were near the lake at like 74th street.........
KABarash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I also used Krylon Fusion on mine (see pics in recent thread Link). They said it was supposed to "bond" with plastic. I didn't even clean mine with alcohol first, but that would have been a good idea. Do LOTS of LIGHT coats...not FEWER HEAVY coats. Spray a light coat. Wait an hour. Spray another light coat. Wait another hour. And so on and so on. It'll take you 4-5 coats to get it covered thoroughly if you're doing it light enough. And the finish will be nice and thick...with only some touch-up needed if you bash into rocks, etc.
JasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #9

Thanks, I'm going to pick up another can of Fusion for my body. I'm liking the silver, so I might have to go with that. I'll see what else they got to offer. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrawler
I see a few people have a spare tire mounted either on the bed or on the back of the truck. Any links on how to mount it? Also, can I use 2.2" tires? Will they attach?
One more thing.....I see people also have colored rings around their rims? Do they just paint part of the rim or are those seperate rims?
all you need to mount a spare tire is a long bolt and nut going through the tonneau cover or roll cage

do you mean 2.2 tires for the spare or actual tires? i guess it would work for the spare, but 2.2's are generally too small to use on the 1/6

and the beadlock is usually just colored with a sharpie
-Dalton
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #11

Ok, sounds good. Thanks you!

Now I need to know where I can get just 1 mounted tire/rim, 1/6 scale. I see ebay has sets of 4, but I only need one. Anyone on here have an extra one that they can sell me? Please let me know if you do.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have asked that here before. Maybe if someone has a set of 4, we can split them!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #13

Yea, that's a good idea. Let me know if you find any.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #14

Where can I order krylon fusion online? I went to my local hardware store and they don't have a great selection. I'm thinking about painting my body red, all they had was burgundy. Do you think dark blue will look good?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

i think dark blue looks best actually, i don't know if you can even order spray paint online
-Dalton
Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #16

I'm gunna go with dark blue. My bumper, roll cage and side rails are black. Do u think the blue will look good with black?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Wal-Mart should have a good selection of colors. I think the blue woul be real sharp with the black, unless it's a purplish blue. You may consider painting the bumper and cage a charcoal grey. That might help it stand out a little better against the blue.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #18

I went to another store today and they had a huge selection of Fusion paint. I decided to go with red for the body and black for the rims, bumpers, cage, etc. I will strip the body down tomorrow and start painting. I was also thinking about painting the seats. Do people just mask them off and paint with Fusion as well? I will def post some pics as I make progress!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #19

I got my crawler painted and back together. I also want to add a spare tire to the back and maybe pain my rims black. I also cut out the plastic tabs in the back where the arms are and I moved the arms up 1 screw to extend the wheelbase a little.

Here's a link to the pictures, tell me what you think!

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/RobF353/Crawler/

Last edited by NYCrawler; 01-26-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Looks great. I like the seats. Good lookin' lights also!