Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is there a way to fix this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Is there a way to fix this?

Hello everybody,

I'm building my first crawler and i'm having some trouble. I tried searching the forum first but i couldn't find anything so forgive me if its been asked a hundred times before I was also going to post this on the small scale section but i need help from all you guys.

I'm turning my TLT1 into a larger scale crawler but the truck leans to the side alot. I read the article about the TXT1 having the same problem but its not helping me, even at the slightest touch of the throttle the whole chassis leans completly to the side. I tried many different shock positions but its not helping, what do you guys think? is there a way to fix this?

Here's some pictures of my truck, still under construction

This is what i'm talking about

Thanks!
SROlmeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2004, 01:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Is there a way to fix this?

In my oppinion it's where your shocks are mounted. Being so far up the links you are asking a lot of those little shocks to work efficiently from there. You can get really good travel from mounting them there because the link doesn't move anywhere near as much as the axle does but the load is increased dramatically as well so you will need to find a good position to fit the shocks that will still support the axle properly as well as give good flex.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:46 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply TXTFUN.
I had the shocks mounted on the axles and i had the same problem, could it be that the shocks are too weak? I was thinking of getting some better, stronger shocks but would it still flex to its maximum point since the TLT isn't that heavy?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

change the position of the shocks..as close to the outside of the axle you can go and lean them in at the top of the chassis. fill them with a thicker oil also.that will help slow it all down. the oil helps alot more than you think it would
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Ace
Rock Crawler

Maybe a sway bar would help (please don't flame me for mentioning it )

Also, that battery way up high isn't helping, but I don't know where else to put it. Maybe try a lithium-polymer (lighter)

Maybe longer throw shocks further out toward the axle (or best mounted on the axle, as close to the tire as possible). Would help with leverage. Also mount the shocks together up top on the frame would help soften pure up down movement while maximizing the roll resistance.

Body roll like that was a major concern when I was building my driveshaft crawler. Mine doesn't do it at all, maybe I got lucky. My axles are 20:1 though and I think that cuts my driveshaft torque down, helping the body roll problem.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Most of the weight seems very high. Is there a way to balance out the weight and distribute it lower and perhaps spread it out slightly wider.
One way to get rid of some body roll is to play with the suspension link possitioning and shock mounting. Drill some new mounting holes in the chasis and move the links around until you find the right spot. I think that where the links are is your biggest problem.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I might be wrong on this, but I think the cantilevers provide some leverage for the shock. Without them the shocks are to weak. Try compressing the springs some................it may help
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

If there is any way to increase preload, try that first. Also, when I was builing my clod, I found that a leaning chassis often resulted from unequal upper and lower mounting positions. If they are all equally spaced, and it still leans, try moving the lower shock mounts on the side that leans forward, making the shocks closer to vertical, while leaving the other side shocks alone. Hope this helps!

Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies,

I've been playing around with the shock positions for a while and this seem to be the best, articulation wise. The biggest problem with mounting them on the axle or close to them is the tires hitting the shocks, wich cuts articulation about 30%. The high center of gravity its another problem but there isn't that much to do about it with this chassis...DirkDigler mentioned moving the links, what would be the best position for them?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:37 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well, problem solved guys, i still have some minor lean but only when taking off at full throttle. I modified the stock tlt shocks with stiffer springs and left them in the same position as before, this setup works great. I also moved the batteries to the bottom of the trays. I've never seen this setup before and it works quite well, just build the saddle packs in a triangle form and put them on the bottom of the battery trays. I hope this helps TLT owners out there

Here's a pic...