Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lexan bodywork ?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Lexan bodywork ?...

I want to narrow a body for an upcoming TCS extreme project, but I'm unsure how to go about doing it. This will be a new, unpainted body. Should I narrow, glue and paint or paint, narrow and glue? Also, should I try and butt the edges together or overlap the seams? I really don't want to overlap if possible because I think it would look terrible.

IMO, I think I should try and butt the edges together when I glue (even though it would probably be a PITA) and then paint, but do you think that the glue would turn the lexan hazy or foggy?

I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone tried an idea similar to this?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you look for a certain user on this site he has his own site...I think its mooncrawlers.com but not sure anymore.He used to do lexan body work for 15 dollors a body. But to answer you qwestion on the cutting and glueing....no to the cut glue then paint(paint hates ca glues,ect) and no to the paint then glue,a proubly won't stick,b will flake off paint badly if even flexed(and then not stick) and c it will proubly be cloudy either way. If your narrowing the hole body good luck,but I have seen people narrow truck beds and use pop rivits or ca and you can over lap up against the sides of the bed and its hard to notice!
MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason

That thing looks like something out of BeetleJuice
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Yes, Jason, I've already read your post before I started this thread, but I want to use an unpainted body. ;) Yours did turn out good though.

I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just have to overlap the seams and use filler to try and hide the seam. Then, just paint the outside of the body.?

By the way, I'll probably cut up the CJ8 I've got laying around
Old 02-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm still going to drive the shafty mainly, but I'm getting the stick for my "clod example"....

Do a "one day" on the bulu2 so I can see it this weekend!

Last edited by WRMorrison; 02-16-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat
If you look for a certain user on this site he has his own site...I think its mooncrawlers.com but not sure anymore.He used to do lexan body work for 15 dollors a body. But to answer you qwestion on the cutting and glueing....no to the cut glue then paint(paint hates ca glues,ect) and no to the paint then glue,a proubly won't stick,b will flake off paint badly if even flexed(and then not stick) and c it will proubly be cloudy either way. If your narrowing the hole body good luck,but I have seen people narrow truck beds and use pop rivits or ca and you can over lap up against the sides of the bed and its hard to notice!
its still a website its http://mooncrawlwerks.get2.us i will do body work,i can have it so it has no seem and is not visible once its painted...
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
its still a website its http://mooncrawlwerks.get2.us i will do body work,i can have it so it has no seem and is not visible once its painted...

What do you mean you can make it so it is not visible? I took these pics right off you site where you sell body modification, I can see the lines.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

SALOL (Screaming And Laughing Out Loud)!!!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Come on jason, you can hardly see the seam!

WRMorrison, I thought about using some 1" aluminium strips, around .030 thick, running down the seam on the inside of the body, after body halves have been butted up and tacked with glue. Drilling holes and running a line of small pop rivets down each side of the body, attached to the alum strip. I really don't know how well it would work/look. I think with the right paint job, it'd look alright.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison

In a way, I wish I had started with a clod in the first place, mainly, because they are SUPER easy to fabricate as compared to a shafty!

your mine bitch!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
your mine bitch!
WRMorrison even IF you think that, you should never actually say it!!
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What do you mean you can make it so it is not visible? I took these pics right off you site where you sell body modification, I can see the lines.

i said "i can make it so the seams are not visible"i never said that **my** truck had invisible seams...cuase it dont.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

How do you accomplish that? How can you make it so there are "no visible seems"?

If this is in fact true....I will order one!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
your mine bitch!
For one thing, I'm NOBODY'S bitch... ;) . I will always prefer my shafty to a clod for many reasons, mainly because of the realism you get with driveshafts. Also, I do enjoy a good challenge, and the turning radius/ground clearance can't be beat.

I'm just building a clod to see what it's all about. Just like I eventually plan to build a TLT based rig, and possibly an XFactor and mad/twin force.

Doesn't mean that the shafty is going to see much shelf-time! Although, it is seeing quite a bit of workbench time... .

The alum. tuber that I half-completed is getting shelved for a different design though, not sure what it will be.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

By the way, I changed my earlier posts in case anyone else gets any cute ideas...
Old 02-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #17

i know you like shafts more than anything else WRMorrison.
ill just change my sig just for you.

clods are an easy build, but im in the same boat as you. i just wanna build one of everything!! there is ups and downs to every design.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I appreciate the reply John, I wasn't sure how to take the last post. And by the way, I also dig the "improved" sig, it's probably more accurate... .

Clods are SO much easier to build. A chimp on pepsi could probably build a clod with a hacksaw and a drill and make it work somewhat (no implied comparisons here, so don't get too hot under the collar all you clod lovers... ).

For all you shaftie guys out there in search of a sig., try this one:

SHAFT!....he's a bad, motherf@$#er!

...guess you gotta be at least 25 yrs. old or so to get that one...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Clods are SO much easier to build. A chimp on pepsi could probably build a clod with a hacksaw and a drill and make it work somewhat (no implied comparisons here, so don't get too hot under the collar all you clod lovers... ).
a chimp on pepsi.... hahahaha

i would compare myself to a chimp on pepsi when i built my clod. hack, drill, and file were my toolset. it is an ok build, but needs some improvement. it drives really well but i could lower the cg a bit more withough lowering the belly or affecting the handling.

is it just me or is forum getting a little to "sassy" for its own good? that tech thread is going downhill and killing me
Old 06-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

well you could kinda do a cut n shut body with shoe goo, or liguid nales mab epoxy.paint the body, cut it in half, remove the desired amount on material. but insteaad take a 2inch trip of lexan long ehough to run thewole lenght of the body and go into the contours and take 1 inch and glue half the body on and take the other inch and glue the other half on so it is perfectly lined up and tight, and let dry. its just an idea not sure how it will work
AQTHF BIATCH is offline   Reply With Quote