Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scale transmission shear point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scale transmission shear point

I was wondering what the weak link is or should be when running a scale transmission or a trans without a slipper. Does anyone have a shear pin of sorts to protect the driveline? I am prepping for a winter project and as I do this question keeps coming back to me.
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Scale transmission shear point

If your worried about that then why not run a slipper. You can always tighten it to the point where it wont slip. I have ran both ways, but i think i like having the clutch. If anything it acts as a buffer so nothing does sheer. Your sheer point will be the pin holding your spur/clutch in. The pins holding the drivelines in are heavier duty then the spur pin. Naturally thats your weak point. If you try to get rid of all slack and run direct eventually and always you will break somewhere. Better a pin sheer then jammin up your gears and something wrong happening in the tranny casing. Dont worry so much about your driveshafts. Worry about the internals of your diffs and center tranny. I have done that to. Replace gears since I didnt have a that buffer zone to take the impact. I have 9 crawlers. Losi, Redcat, Vaterra, Gmade, and Axial crawlers. I prefer a clutch. Especially since most of all gears are 48 pitch. If it was all 32 pitch then not as much too worry. 48 pitch is farely fine. So there yah go. Lol. Hope that answered any or atleast some questions. Oh. If your running brushless. I would always run a slipper. I do run crawlers everyday of my life. Even at work on breaks. I work in Kings Canyon National Park which is 6300 ft. Elevation.The rock crawling there is hellascious. Running my way I think youll find out your whole powertrain will last longer including your motor. But hey. This is my opinion. Everyone has one. Right!! LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ctrain57; 10-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

No real sacrificial part on scale transmission setups I have (GCM and RC4WD). The gears are all steel, the driveshafts are steel, and the drive pins are all 2 mm or larger so those are pretty stout as well.

You could run plastic drive shafts as a cheap, replaceable part or just exercise some throttle discipline when bound up and not worry about it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
No real sacrificial part on scale transmission setups I have (GCM and RC4WD). The gears are all steel, the driveshafts are steel, and the drive pins are all 2 mm or larger so those are pretty stout as well.

You could run plastic drive shafts as a cheap, replaceable part or just exercise some throttle discipline when bound up and not worry about it.
Agreed, all metal setup should be strong. I've bound up some rigs over the years and never needed or wanted a slipper on my crawlers, just watch and ease off if it gets too bound up. I've really bound some stuff and not broken anything, but then sometimes not much bind and pop goes the cvd etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Slipper clutches are an annoyance in anything that is not racing. I tighten them all down as hard as I can.

The shear point is your trigger finger.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Cool thanks everyone. I'm getting ready to start a thread in 1.9 scalers. You will see why I asked the question.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Slipper clutches are an annoyance in anything that is not racing. I tighten them all down as hard as I can.

The shear point is your trigger finger.
Lol. That sounds almost verbatum what I tell my buddies. They are annoying. I like direct. I just finesse the trigger alot more. The sheer pin that breaks the most with my Wroncho is in the back of the transfer case. Easy access to replace without taking the tranny completely out. I have only broke the sheer pin twice which is not alot considering the hundreds of hours i have on it. Needless to say. It teaches you to not romp on throttle or slam the breaks on. I think it forces you to be a better driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The weak point on my driveline are Axial stock shaft the plastic part twist but doesn't break, I just need to replace them once in a while, and it doesn't left me stranded with a broken truck
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The slipper clutch in my Spawn kit is great. Very consistent and really takes a serious bind to make it slip.
But whatevs.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale transmission shear point - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Shear Panhard Mount for Toyzuki 10.2 Chassis Duuuuuuuude Chassis and Suspension 11 02-27-2017 03:07 PM
New Mini 8" Brake/Shear Chumley54 Tools, and Procedures 14 05-26-2016 04:59 PM
Metal shear actuator JohnRobHolmes Tools, and Procedures 17 06-30-2011 01:33 PM
Non Newtonian Shear Thickening Fluid Talico General Crawlers 9 04-13-2011 07:56 AM