Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wider axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wider axles?

I have a build coming up, that would require about a 11-1/2" - 11-3/4" overall width on my tires, which are centered in the wheel, meaning I need something about 9-1/2" - 9-3/4" wide at the hex. They could be MOA for that matter, you will never/rarely see them (front perhaps). Ideally somewhat beefy as well, going on a tow rig, pulling +/- 25 lbs. 5 mph top speed, able to pull stumps and not grenade gears and diffs. Suggestions anyone????
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wider axles?

Only thing in my notes close enough are AR60 245mm/9.65". Should be able to source some stout parts for it.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For shaft driven axles you can't get much more bombproof than the ss60 which uses ar60 internal but fixes all the weakspots in the housings. Dlux has a complete version fully assembled with hd gears lockers and shafts.

https://supershafty.com/products/sup...9f8556a1&_ss=r

https://dluxfab.com/#!/Front-Super-S...tegory=6232189

For moa Dlux fab super lite super axles are nukeproof. They are 10 or 11in wide, I can't remember.

https://dluxfab.com/#!/Super-class-S...tegory=6232189
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
For shaft driven axles you can't get much more bombproof than the ss60 which uses ar60 internal but fixes all the weakspots in the housings. Dlux has a complete version fully assembled with hd gears lockers and shafts.

https://supershafty.com/products/sup...9f8556a1&_ss=r

https://dluxfab.com/#!/Front-Super-S...tegory=6232189

For moa Dlux fab super lite super axles are nukeproof. They are 10 or 11in wide, I can't remember.

https://dluxfab.com/#!/Super-class-S...tegory=6232189

Some pretty pieces there, but the pricepoint is not in the budget. They have to be open diff as well, going on a "street" vehicle, tow rig. My other concern is torque twist, I'm thinking it will be worse than a Yeti XL on 6s. That will be no bueno.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Some pretty pieces there, but the pricepoint is not in the budget. They have to be open diff as well, going on a "street" vehicle, tow rig. My other concern is torque twist, I'm thinking it will be worse than a Yeti XL on 6s. That will be no bueno.
yeti xl on 6s lol fun stuff lol im hoping your gona gear this rig way down so that shouldent be that big of a issue yxl has tall gears and a butt load of power and realy needs sway bars to stay some what in control this rig wont be doin 60mph even if you use the same motor esc combo

the ar60 axles do have open diff options but i dont know if the diff gears will take that kinda abuse but locked they will i drill out the bearing pockets for larger bearings and run the steel or pot metel axle housings one rig runs at 20lbs and easily tows another 10 to 20lbs depending on the terain with ease up big hills though the motors get hot after a long pull there was a day i hauled water around the yard with it lol

i used a clod buster to mow the lawn for a while till i got tired of pulling grass out of the axles lol there moa 5hey would be vary easy to build around but wheels are hard to fit cause of the huge knuckles and theres nothing scale about them

im thinking any metal axle could work with the right off set wheels

Last edited by ferp420; 06-16-2020 at 07:05 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks ferp420 for the insight, I just think of a semi truck loaded to the gills leaving a traffic light, they wrap up pretty good. Wheel/tire format is Redcat Aftershock sc truck stuff, 1/8 scale beads and they act like they have 100 psi stock. I still may continue to cannibalize my Summit to build the truck. 2 speed tranny is going into it, so if it hits 7-8 mph, that will be a land speed record. I'm also looking at a way to make those locking diffs look solid axle, long ladder long bars......
Old 06-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks ferp420 for the insight, I just think of a semi truck loaded to the gills leaving a traffic light, they wrap up pretty good. Wheel/tire format is Redcat Aftershock sc truck stuff, 1/8 scale beads and they act like they have 100 psi stock. I still may continue to cannibalize my Summit to build the truck. 2 speed tranny is going into it, so if it hits 7-8 mph, that will be a land speed record. I'm also looking at a way to make those locking diffs look solid axle, long ladder long bars......
what are you tryin to build its sounds fun
Old 06-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
RCC Addict

See my trailer build thread in Scale Accessories. "Got a wedgie?" This is for the tow rig.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
See my trailer build thread in Scale Accessories. "Got a wedgie?" This is for the tow rig.
no pics for this thread then
Old 06-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
RCC Addict

This thread is for wider axles, when I come up with something worth seeing I'll put pics up. As for the truck, it's "homeless", doesn't fit the criteria for any of the sub titles as far as I can tell, perhaps non crawlers or something? The body may end up in the paint and body section if there is a community interest for seeing my take on getting it done. I've never tried styrene, maybe some interior pieces will be made out of that stuff. Glue vs. welding. Shooting for the roof and back of the cab for the truck tonight, time permitting. Front end/ grill and a hood that hopefully opens follows that. Back on track, the more I think about axles, the more I like the Summit diffs, making a C channel frame and bulkheads for them, its easier to build in my head, no torque twist and robust gears.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What about Kyosho Mad Force axles? I've seen them modified to be super wide, and some that were narrowed to nearly scx10 width. They sure seem beefy as any 1/8 scale stuff out there.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Wider axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wider Axles for SCX10 rspicko Axial SCX-10 10 08-22-2013 08:05 AM
wider axles tim the toolman Formula Offroad 2 03-11-2012 09:17 PM
wider axles buggy General Scale Talk 0 12-12-2010 05:18 PM
wider axles? how to BIGIN Newbie General 12 03-27-2007 10:47 AM
Wider tf axles skogsvild Kyosho Crawlers 1 04-03-2006 06:21 PM