Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Portals on my freakshow crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Default Portals on my freakshow crawler? Updated - scx10ii axle swap.

Thinking about putting portals on my Freakshow rig. Pretty much the only thing left on it that is stock are the Redcat Everist 10 axle cases. Everything else is changed/upgraded to other brands (axial, mip, and some China knock offs). The axle cases have a bind in them that affects my lowest crawling speed. Tried shimming pinion but still there. Maybe the axial gears don’t fit perfectly in the RC axle. Still goes fine but time for a change.

Was thinking I want to jump on the portal wagon. I can make links and whatnot so figure shouldn’t be hard. I’m already geared as low as possible on a ax10 tranny so should be able to gear up to account for 2:1 in the portals.

Been looking for a few weeks and am thinking of getting 2 trx4, or axial Capra axles. Not really interesting in spending $500 on vanquish and don’t want to buy Chinese. Kinda turned off on Redcat as my experience with their parts vs axial and traxxas is they are sub par. Maybe the gen8 portals are different but they lost me on the Everist 10. Not that it wasn’t a good $150 rig but if the parts on that are similar in quality to the gen8 then I’m out. Would rather spend a little more and get something else.

Anyhow, kinda narrowed down to trx4 or Capra axle. Capra is servo on axle which I will need but can’t find a complete Capra axle anywhere. Would have to piece it together which by my count would be over $300 for a pair in parts alone. Axial CS said no complete axles available for Capra.

Trx4 axle looks good and complete front axles are on eBay for ~$85 right now. I think it would work but I would need to buy a 3D printed servo on axle mount and 1. They look kind of janky
2. They are like $20 each!
3. I can’t really find any videos or forum reviews of someone using these

So I think maybe Capra axles ($300) or trx4 axles ($210)

Or someone on here talks me out of it
Or someone on here has something similar for less $
Or???

Btw I could also just buy a Capra or similar but I like this rig and really just want a single crawler and already have a rusty 4x4 Vxl so got my basher too.

Appreciate everyone’s time and advise in reading my hella long post!!
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeDean; 06-14-2020 at 07:52 AM.
MikeDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Portals on my freakshow crawler?

Ya, ladder frame (I think that’s what it’s called), 2.2 axial beadlocks and 6” duratrax showdowns, teambrood 16t 5 pole if it matters
Old 06-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Personally I would put Scx10II axles under it. Lower overall gearing, smaller pumpkin, high pinion and clockable axles without the detriment of raising your Cg. mor budget friendly too. https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-a...GJxvaFod8LPeFJ
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #4

Couple more pics
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion lonelycreeper. I almost think I would rather do that than do the trx4 axles so that might where I go with it.

Btw. Awesome handle!!!
Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! That looks like a great little rig you have there. I bet it is a blast. Another option is SSD axles. They use the same componants just higher quality.

PARTS FOR SCX10 II
Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #7

Decision made! Scx10ii axles in hand. Lhs had them for same price as online. Always like to support J&S hobbies when I can.

Love putting this stuff together. Also ordered BP customs SOA mounts so can’t do too much till next week but held them up and think some minor link changes and I’m in business. Will post end result.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

Fyi hex to hex Redcat Everest 10 axle cases w/ high steer knuckles are damn near identical to scx10.2 width hex to hex. 7.5”
Old 06-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Awesome to see.

I think you will like them, and the steering advantage is awesome!

My Scx10 Bronco has the 10II axles under it as well and it is an absolute monster now!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

my e10 is kinda in the same boat all i have left of my e10 is the links motor and the replacement clone transmission but the trans and motor are coming out here real soon im rebuilding some rockstar motors and one will go in the e10 i went the ar60 front and ar44 rear on mine oh and im still running a choped up e10 body also lol the e10 axles are still in realy good shape after 4 years i never even opened the front axles once and now both axles are under a tonka dump truck lol

since you already have your axles i wont recomend any but i will say this portal axlels have week points built in the scx10ii axles seem to be holding up realy good

your next mod in my opinion should be to loose that chassie and the springs on the shocks then get some brass knuckles
there are so many good chassis out there even a home made chassie would be better than that one
the brass knuckles and running in droop makes it way more stable

Last edited by ferp420; 06-07-2020 at 07:48 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #11

Scx10ii axles are in! Took a while as I had to order servo on axle mounts then had to make new links.

I like
- the lower gearing
- better ground clearance
- TURNING!!!

All in all seems like a good upgrade. There is a bit of wheel hop or something at full lock but I think it is a combination of the universals, short wheelbase, locked diffs and tires. Way more pronounced on concrete.

Still got some tuning to do but so far so good.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Also am going to miss the high steer setup I had. Don’t think it’s possible with this new setup but with the other one I was able to Just squeeze the steering linkage behind the server horn and directly under the servo plate.

Portals on my freakshow crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portals, what to go for?? Mr. Crawley EC General Crawlers 4 03-13-2020 08:19 AM
Need some new portals ? Frank211 General Scale Talk 3 01-22-2019 08:02 PM
Freakshow Build...Pics Freakshow185 Axial Wraith 1 02-23-2013 02:30 PM
Will these portals work on the X-Crawler? jrod_66 Superclass Crawlers 4 03-04-2010 08:01 AM
HOw about POrtals!!!! Janke Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 02-20-2005 01:13 PM